+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758 LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are?

I'm surprised they're on YouTube again. There used to be a few channels with the UK episodes, but then they all got taken down. I watched them on "other sites" after that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just watched the jerry hall episode I loved it. Her accent was a bit country with a little British thrown in there. Lol.

I watch them on YouTube and so grateful I can find both the U.S. And UK versions on there. You would think all the money you spend on verizon fios for TV I can get some channels I want but in Order to get this one channel I have to drop like three or four of my other favorite channels. Oh well I can't everything I want. But grateful for YouTube and the people who take the time to post the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm surprised they're on YouTube again. There used to be a few channels with the UK episodes, but then they all got taken down. I watched them on "other sites" after that.
    Yes. There are a lot of them on YouTube. Many of them aren't there legitimately, I think, but the real shows actually have channels there, too.

Only the most recent ones are free on the legitimate channels. If you want to go back to the earlier ones, you have to pay for them. I've never done that, so I'm not sure how it works on YouTube.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Hmm. That's interesting that you found the Derek Jacobi one boring. I was fascinated by it. He came from poverty in London's East End and discovered that his ancestor had been a wealthy person with a very prestigious position under the reign of Louis XV who had to flee to England when Louis started going after the Protestants. His ancestor was connected with titled people in England, too, after arriving. I would love to have learned what happened in the intervening years to take his family into deep poverty.

take it back the episode was excellent...he seems like a great guy!!! I was actually watching the Paul Hollywood episode and did not enjoy it...but I will give it another shot since I was doing my family tree....once I step away from the computer and put my electronics down I learn so much more....LOL
    Miss_Griss likes this.

FORT Regular

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Who Do You Think You Are?: Lea Michele, Scott Foley Get Emotional : People.com

Who Do You Think You Are? returns April 3 at 9 p.m. ET on TLC.

I was worried that posting in this thread would get people excited about a new season, when I didn't know if it was coming back. I googled and IT'S COMING BACK! From the wiki:
    The show was recently picked up for an eight season and is set to premiere on April 3, 2016. The list of celebrity participants have been announced as Aisha Tyler, Scott Foley, Lea Michele, Chris Noth, Katey Sagal, and Molly Ringwald.

New Season of 'Who Do You Think You Are?' Launching April 3rd

Not enough episodes, but I'll be happy with ANY episodes. Maybe they'll add in an episode or two from the UK version. Last season they did Jane Seymour, so I'd think she would be the most likely candidate, since she's well-known to US audiences.

Speaking of the UK version (which is why I was posting to begin with), I just finished Alan Cumming's memoir, Not My Father's Son and a lot of it deals with the time around when he was filming his episode of WDYTYA. It's also (spoiler alert! ) about his relationship with his father. If you're a fan of the show, he gives a lot of insight into how the episodes are filmed. He also confirmed something I think several of us had wondered about. They do A LOT of research into the celeb's family tree and then settle on the "interesting" stories. He talked about how they gave him several big binders of information covering his whole family tree that his mother was enjoying poring over. Anyway, it was a good read, especially if you're an AC fan or interested in this show.
    Miss_Griss and AmyKay like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I found justhad's post in another thread and moved it over here so everyone could see that article.

If you like WDYTYA, look out for tricks of your DVR's interpretation of Aisha Tyler's epi. It's part of some Lifetime 29-min recap of shows, so my DVR thought tonight's full hour was a repeat. Luckily, I caught it in time to manually set.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Scott Foley is so completely adorable! I love how enthusiastic he was, even hugging that one historian.

I really enjoyed Aisha Tyler's episode as well. I've always liked her, but was just so impressed with her as a person. So intelligent and well-spoken.
    navybelle and mushybrain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Scott Foley is so completely adorable! I love how enthusiastic he was, even hugging that one historian.

I really enjoyed Aisha Tyler's episode as well. I've always liked her, but was just so impressed with her as a person. So intelligent and well-spoken.
    I caught that last night. He is such a cutie! I love when he started to get overwhelmed and didn't know why.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread