+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I saw a short clip of Lisa Kudrow discussing the show on Hulu. She said that when she originally proposed the show, the reaction she got was that it might work on the BBC, but we (meaning Americans) aren't interested in history.

Nice to know that network bigwigs assume we're incapable of showing interest in anything beyond immediate pop culture.

I have always loved history. It was always one of my top two favorite subjects. I think I got it from my dad, who is also a history buff. Growing up we would enjoy watching documentaries on WWI and WWII together! It was odd for a young girl. LOL I told him about this show and now he loves it.

IT seems like I remember Lisa Kudrow being on the show last season. I wonder if they will reshow that episode or they have done some more research and have a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have always loved history. It was always one of my top two favorite subjects. I think I got it from my dad, who is also a history buff. Growing up we would enjoy watching documentaries on WWI and WWII together! It was odd for a young girl. LOL I told him about this show and now he loves it.

IT seems like I remember Lisa Kudrow being on the show last season. I wonder if they will reshow that episode or they have done some more research and have a new one.
    They showed Lisa's episode right before the new season started. I doubt they'll show it again soon, even though she's exec producer. I don't know that she has any control over what episodes are shown and when.

Last month, the show got picked up for a third season, so we'll be seeing more stories. There are some previous celebs I'd love to see more about, but I think there are too many new trees to explore!

I often wonder if these people continue researching their genealogy after the show ends. They can all afford to pay a professional to do the research, I guess, although I think that takes the fun out of it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I would love to see more stories. I would like to see it done for Elizabeth Taylor (I know she has had much illness lately), Al Pacino, Ellen Degenerous (I'd like to see where her brilliant blue eyes came from), Michael Jordon (he's from my homestate of NC) and Merlye Streep (she's so talented and has an uncanny ability to change her accent). Perhaps I should send my wish list to the producers. LOL

I would love to see more stories. I would like to see it done for Elizabeth Taylor (I know she has had much illness lately), Al Pacino, Ellen Degenerous (I'd like to see where her brilliant blue eyes came from), Michael Jordon (he's from my homestate of NC) and Merlye Streep (she's so talented and has an uncanny ability to change her accent). Perhaps I should send my wish list to the producers. LOL
    Meryl Streep was actually one of the subjects that PBS covered during last year's shows by Dr. Henry Gates on family history. Her story was interesting but not as surprising as Eva Longoria's (her family pre-dated Streep's in America)
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow View Post
    Meryl Streep was actually one of the subjects that PBS covered during last year's shows by Dr. Henry Gates on family history. Her story was interesting but not as surprising as Eva Longoria's (her family pre-dated Streep's in America)
    You beat me to the punch on that one! The show was called Faces of America - there's a thread somewhere in this forum for it. The series, along with Gates's fabulous series African American Lives, is available on Netflix

I doubt Liz Taylor would do this show even if she wasn't in very poor health. Plus, I think her heritage is fairly well documented.

I wouldn't even know who to suggest from the show and, really, just because I like a person it doesn't mean their story will be interesting. In that way, this show is kind of like Inside the Actor's Studio - some of the best interviews I saw on that show weren't my favorite actors by a long shot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I too love this show, and history. Whenever we travel, we pick cities based on the interesting history to learn not the best shopping, beaches or restaurants! This has been a great show to see places we would never see...and made me wonder, do they pick the celeb first, or go find interesting historical events and then connect them...though I suppose with the melting pot, any celeb would connect with an interesting historical event since they are going so far back!

FORT Fogey

Is it a new show tonight? I hope so.

I hope it's a new episode, but last week it was a rerun so I thought it was done for the season.

There was:
    Vanessa Williams
    Rosie O'Donnell
    Kim Catrell
    Tim McGraw
    Lionel Richie

Who have I left out? Shouldn't there be at least 6 episodes?

FORT Fogey

I hope it's a new episode, but last week it was a rerun so I thought it was done for the season.

There was:
    Vanessa Williams
    Rosie O'Donnell
    Kim Catrell
    Tim McGraw
    Lionel Richie

Who have I left out? Shouldn't there be at least 6 episodes?
    I thought I saw that Steve Buscemi (Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, etc.) was going to be featured this season.

+ Reply to Thread