+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (TLC)

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post

I also enjoy the UK version - though I enjoy it so much more when I have an idea who the celebrities are.

One older UK episode where I didn't know the celebrity was about a man named Forsythe. He found that his ancestor had left his family for another woman - and I think then he even abandoned the other woman. The Forsythe guy was saying at first how sad it was that he left the family and then he realized that he too had left his family for another (much younger) woman. AWKWARD!
    I like the episodes even if I don't know who the celeb is. Hugh Quarshie's episode is one of my favorites and i had no idea who he was before I watched his episode.

Do you mean Bruce Forsyth? He's a TV presenter (host). He co-hosted Strictly Come Dancing, the show that DWTS copied.

There have been several episodes where the celeb discovers patterns of behavior on their family tree. Makes you think.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yes! Bruce Forsythe! That's who he was. I actually watched it originally because Forsythe is a family name on my father's side from the UK and I was curious to see if there was any common ancestor.

I don't watch Strictly Come Dancing but I'm well aware what it is. Thanks for the information and I'll have to check out Hugh Quarshie.

They're rerunning Lisa Kudrow's episode tonight before the new Jesse Tyler Ferguson episode. If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. One of my favorites of the US version of the show and not just because I really identified with it. The things that happened to her family in Belarus were very similar to what happened to some of my family members in Prussia/now-Poland.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Enjoyed last night's episode. Amazing how his great grandfather seemed to have run ins with the law!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Enjoyed both of the episodes last night. My mother's family came from Poland and as Christians they did not face the horrors of the Jewish population, but my grandfather talked about the Russians coming into the villages and conscripting the boys when they turned of age. They of course took their information from the village/church registry.
    '
    My grandfather tells of hiding in a hay loft in a barn with other like-aged boys, knowing were next for the Russians and making their plans to run away to America.

Did they plan the whole lawbreaker thing this season? That's two episodes in a row with court cases. It's like Who Do You Think You Are?: Jailbird Edition. It feels like the producers are looking for scandalous ancestors

I thought JTF's episode was interesting, but I felt like we were missing something. Weren't there trial transcripts?
    inthegarden and AlwaysVeg like this.

I finally got a chance to watch Cynthia Nixon's episode last night. I thought it was a fascinating story. I do agree, though, that it's going to be too sensationalized if there's a major crime every time.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

No worries for those of you who are afraid that TLC will sensationalize every story.

Last night's Rachel and Kayleen Mcadams episode was a bit of a snooze fest for me as far as her ancestors were concerned. While I really enjoyed their dynamic and watching the sisters on the journey together - such a good idea - I found the ancestors were less than interesting.

I was disappointed when the line in England had a dead end. I would love to have known what happened to the wife and child of the footman after he died of the dt's. And I wonder why they were unable to show the area where the servants quarters were. That could've added to the story.

Then a bit of an interesting perspective (as an American,) to hear how thrilled they were when they found that their ancestor was a loyalist during the Revolutionary War. But still it wasn't a whole lot of information and images to keep me enthralled.

Overall for me, it wasn't up there as a favorite episode. Looking forward to Valerie Bertanelli next week.
    Punkin, GabbyG and Debb70 like this.

Yeah, I think last night's episode was pretty dull. I just couldn't get into it.

FORT Fogey

Granted, they were not overly interesting background stories( see, we got used to the sensational stories already LOL), but I did like the two sisters. I wasn't familiar with the actress sister, but they were both so pleasant and appreciative and polite, that I did enjoy that.

+ Reply to Thread