+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (TLC)

It would not surprise me if TLC does go for more sensationalized stories as that appears to characterize their brand. However, it is still genealogy so I will continue to watch the show even with this slant

This is possibly my favorite reality show on the air.

I enjoyed most all of them last season so I have huge hopes for the tlc version. In fact, Christina Applegate's which was one of the less dramatic episodes in my opinion, was, perhaps, my favorite. I loved how she told her father that he rose above his background and was a good dad. Made me tear up! (I also enjoyed Trisha Yearwood's since the ancestor they found is also my husband's.)

From the ones they repeated, I did so love Matthew Broderick's story. That one tugged at my heartstrings when he found his ancestor had been killed at the battle of Peachtree Creek (not far from me, actually,) and got choked up. He kept saying, "Bless his heart!" during the episode. Ferris Bueller has grown up!
    libgirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    It would not surprise me if TLC does go for more sensationalized stories as that appears to characterize their brand. However, it is still genealogy so I will continue to watch the show even with this slant
    You know I kind of thought of that when Cynthia Nixon's ancestor turned out to be an axe murderer! lol That's pretty dramatic.

That wasn't a tlc version. That was from the original nbc or cbs. A rerun.

Tlc acquired the rights to the show so they can show the old episodes.

Cynthia Nixon's ancestors story actually made me tear up. And I just read that her and SJP are 13th cousins thrice removed!
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Cynthia Nixon's ancestors story actually made me tear up. And I just read that her and SJP are 13th cousins thrice removed!
    That's an interesting coincidence! Now I've seen the episodes for SJP, Cynthia Nixon, and Kim Cattrall. Where's Charlotte?

Oh, I had no idea Cynthia Nixon was a repeat. What about Kelsey Grammar?

Cynthia Nixon wasn't a repeat. Hers was the first episode of the new season. Kim Cattrall's episode from season 2 was recycle from the UK version.

This season has six new episodes. No repeats from other seasons or the UK version.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Sorry, Debb. I got caught up in watching all the episodes last week. SJP's and Matthew Broderick's were NBC repeats. Cynthia Nixon's epi was not. I didn't find last season - which was a TLC season - to be sensationalized more than just what the facts were.

I also enjoy the UK version - though I enjoy it so much more when I have an idea who the celebrities are.

One older UK episode where I didn't know the celebrity was about a man named Forsythe. He found that his ancestor had left his family for another woman - and I think then he even abandoned the other woman. The Forsythe guy was saying at first how sad it was that he left the family and then he realized that he too had left his family for another (much younger) woman. AWKWARD!

+ Reply to Thread