+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I happened to notice that Christina Applegate was the guest last night on Chelsey Lately, so I watched, hoping they'd talk about their WDYTUA experiences, and they did. Chelsey said hers was awful and then quickly amended that to add that the experience itself was worthwhile and she was glad she did it, but that it was awful to have to hear about some of the hardships/difficulties that her relatives went through. When she said that she thought Christina's was really moving, Christina said they actually didn't show a lot of things that she found out that were even more terrible--like that her great-great grandfather shot his brother twenty times, killing him, in front of assembled relatives. Or that her father's mother's sister died in her twenties of malnutrition. She said every time the researchers came up with another horrible story, she would think, "Really? Really? Again?"

So, apparently, though they tend to edit toward one story, the stars involved may be finding out a lot of things we never hear about when we watch the show.

I guess with a one hour show, we do miss some things.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I think Christina's story was my favorite of all of them this season. It showed people who had problems and difficult times but let us know that her father broke the cycle and became a good, productive human being.

The one episode that I disliked the most was Kelly Clarkston's. She was focused (it seemed to me) in wanted to find heroics and extraordinary people. When she found out her ggg-grandfather supported the temperance movement, she was momentarily unhappy till she found a reason to put a good spin on it.

Let's face it, if you do geneological research, a lot of what we find isn't pretty with famous ancestors who made decisions we wouldn't support today. Your history is your history - good and bad. That's one thing I've enjoyed about the BBC version. You see a lot of sad stories but I always get the feeling that the human spirit eventually triumphed. (Except for the case of one famous Brit by the name of Forsyth who found that his ancestor married and left wives and families - just as he, the star had done. When the realization began to hit, you could see the wheels in his brain turning.)

I'm looking forward to the new season starting - whenever that may be!
    Moontat and inthegarden like this.

With any reality show there are probably hundreds of hours of footage that don't get used over the course of the season. It's not surprising that they edit in a narrative storyline. If you've watched Genealogy Roadshow on PBS, you see what happens when there isn't any editing done to make the stories more interesting. I mean, they're interesting to the person whose family it is, but not necessarily to viewers.

I liked the Kelly Clarkson episode. I don't think it's unusual for people not to have historical context and she seemed eager to learn and I thought she was polite and engaging throughout. Heck, she wasn't anywhere near as bad as Kellie Pickler on that 4th grader show. Now THAT was embarrassing!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Oh, I always assumed they edited too. They'd have to, since they only have an hour. I just thought the fact that as sad as Christina Applegate's story was, that it was in actuality even worse was worth mentioning.

Also, there had been some comments about the TLC version tending to focus on a single relative. Sounds like they actually do a lot of research and perhaps then choose one relative or a limited group of relatives on which to focus.

I liked the Christina Applegate episode a lot, but I liked the Jim Parsons episode too (except for the stupid HBB countdown clock). I think I liked the Jim Parsons episode, because he seemed so genuinely astonished and because of the parallels he drew between the ancestors about whom he knew nothing and his own life. That seemed to make him feel as if his interest in the arts and education were in his DNA somehow.

I believe Christina was on another late night talk show I believe she stated they filmed her episode over a course of a week and she mentioned some of the horrible stuff she uncovered on that show as well (would not be surprised if they all were about a week especially with some of them flying across the world to seek some answers). I can only imagine what they leave out so they can make it a one hour episode. I don't know about you guys but it makes me wonder what was left out especially after all the stuff Christina had disclosed on some of the talk show.

Christian Applegate's episode was one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Oh, I always assumed they edited too. They'd have to, since they only have an hour. I just thought the fact that as sad as Christina Applegate's story was, that it was in actuality even worse was worth mentioning.

Also, there had been some comments about the TLC version tending to focus on a single relative. Sounds like they actually do a lot of research and perhaps then choose one relative or a limited group of relatives on which to focus.

I liked the Christina Applegate episode a lot, but I liked the Jim Parsons episode too (except for the stupid HBB countdown clock). I think I liked the Jim Parsons episode, because he seemed so genuinely astonished and because of the parallels he drew between the ancestors about whom he knew nothing and his own life. That seemed to make him feel as if his interest in the arts and education were in his DNA somehow.
    There's a marked difference between the UK and US versions. The US version does tend to be more "human interest story"-focused, while the UK version has more history and historical context, which I find more interesting. It's not the fact of the editing, which is a given, it's HOW they edit. I just feel like there's less content in the US version and I don't think he extra 10 minutes or so in the UK episodes is the sole reason for that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Regular
    inthegarden likes this.

"To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (TLC)

I saw the news in my FB feed this morning. YAY!

+ Reply to Thread