+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I really enjoyed the show on Jim Parsons and I'm so glad WDYTYA been picked up for another season. This is "reality tv" that I don't feel guilty watching.

The thought occurred to me last night that I wonder how many people watching a given episode are actually related to the subject of the show and don't know it. We could be hearing stories of our very own ancestors. Genealogy is so fascinating!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

When the season was announced, if you'd given me the task of listing the episodes in order of preference, I'd have put Jim Parsons at the top of the list. Having watched all of the episodes now, I'd still put him right up there. There were moments when he was so quintessentially "Sheldon" - like when he was sitting with his Mother and commented about having good blood . . . . then he quickly says "Well, I do. It's not your side of the family".

Love that he found so much positiveness & strength in his lineage. Seeing the real-life side of the guy who gives us Sheldon just made me love JP all that much more.

Ditto to what y'all said about that dang HBB Clock . . . . although if it had said SERIES FINALE, I might not have been so put out.
    Moontat likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    When the season was announced, if you'd given me the task of listing the episodes in order of preference, I'd have put Jim Parsons at the top of the list. Having watched all of the episodes now, I'd still put him right up there. There were moments when he was so quintessentially "Sheldon" - like when he was sitting with his Mother and commented about having good blood . . . . then he quickly says "Well, I do. It's not your side of the family".

Love that he found so much positiveness & strength in his lineage. Seeing the real-life side of the guy who gives us Sheldon just made me love JP all that much more.

Ditto to what y'all said about that dang HBB Clock . . . . although if it had said SERIES FINALE, I might not have been so put out.
    I wouldn't care which episode it was. I still don't want to see that stupid Honey Boo Boo crap on my screen. It's bad enough that I have to suffer through the commercials for that show when I watch this one. Every time I watch this show I'm reminded of how far TLC has fallen. Before this show moved to TLC, I hadn't watched anything on TLC in years. I didn't even know where it was on the channel line-up.

The show's FB is filled with complaints about the HBB countdown clock. Hopefully, TLC gets the message and knows that they blew it!

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I enjoy this show and Say Yes to the Dress and a couple other TLC shows but I also hate the Boo show as well as the Sister Wives....why such a difference in quality among their shows?
    In the case of this show at least, it wasn't created for TLC. Lisa Kudrow and Dan Bucatinsky created it for NBC and it fell into TLC's lap after the NBC cancellation. The only thing TLC did was put it on the air.

ETA: I should have said that Lisa and Dan adapted the UK series for NBC. They didn't create it.
    Last edited by Critical; 09-11-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Boy, Jim Parson's mom sure had some BIG Texas hair!
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Does anyone know what Jim Parson's father did for a living? I never heard him say, though they showed a photo of his dad at his desk. He spoke of how many people came to speak highly of his father at his funeral. I wasn't able to find it online either, though Wikipedia says his mom was a teacher. Just curious.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

According to IMDB, his father was "the president of a plumbing company". It goes on to say that his sister Julie (all J names in that family) is also a teacher and that she and her mother once shared a classroom.
    Debb70 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I'm glad others were as annoyed by the ridiculous non-stop HBB promos during the season finale of WDYTYA. The clock in the upper corner, the HBB head periodically showing up in the bottom corner on the same side of the screen, not to mention the multiple commercials during commercial breaks--when, of course, the stupid countdown clock did disappear, lest advertisers be annoyed. Never mind if viewers of WDYTYA might be annoyed. Do they really think viewers of any show, including HBB, are sitting around, staring at the screen, salivating over how many seconds there are until the show comes on again?

And I really wouldn't care which show was being promoted in that way in the midst of any other show. It's disrespectful to the viewers of the show that's being disrupted, period.

I was really looking forward to the Jim Parsons episode, and I truly did enjoy it--but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't had to view it around that stupid clock etc. To see all that promotional garbage on the borders of truly impressive architecture/scenery was galling. I hope when they show the inevitable reruns, it won't be there, nor will anything similar take its place.
    Bucky, libgirl2 and AmyKay like this.

Tilden, yes! It was annoying, distracting and not necessary.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

hey genealogy buffs out there -- a new show is coming on the public television called genealogy roadshow taking everyday people and learning about their genealogy. not sure how many would be interested in it but I will check it out. it is made by the same people that did the antique roadshow.

The PBS show is called Genealogy Roadshow. It's airing here on Monday nights. Anyone can start a thread for it in this forum if there's interest.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread