+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I'm not sure what's going on with me, but the last few episodes didn't interest me at all. In fact, I couldn't even make it all the way though any of them. The last one I enjoyed was the Applegate actress.

Trisha Yearwood is next week! I'm looking forward to that. I adore Trisha.

FORT Fogey

I'm finding it fairly amusing that Chelsea Handler (Algona, Iowa) and Cindy Crawford (Blue Earth and Mankato, MN) have connections to towns close to the small Minnesota town in which I grew up. It's pretty unusual for me to hear the names of those places when I'm watching television.

I think the previews for Trisha Yearwood's episode are funny. I'm really curious about Jim Parsons' episode, though, as I enjoy The Big Bang Theory. Of course, some of my favorite episodes have also been about the families of celebrities I've barely heard of too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I'm not. If he didn't know who wrote the National Anthem or what inspired it? Then I would be disappointed. He also could have simply forgotten the history he learned in school. I'm willing to cut him some slack. Some of us know these things because we are into history while others find history a massive bore. I wouldn't call them dumb because of it, just that they don't have an interest in the subject.
    I think Cindy Crawford put it quite well... You listen differently when it's your family... I learned a lot of this stuff in HS... I wasn't very interested... Forgot most of it or tucked it away in my head somewhere where I can recall learning it if you give me a few hints... I've learned more about US History SINCE HS... One of my teachers told me we should start HS when we're 40! LOL
    Harmony2000 likes this.
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    I think Cindy Crawford put it quite well... You listen differently when it's your family... I learned a lot of this stuff in HS... I wasn't very interested... Forgot most of it or tucked it away in my head somewhere where I can recall learning it if you give me a few hints... I've learned more about US History SINCE HS... One of my teachers told me we should start HS when we're 40! LOL
    Totally! I think it's true that you listen to ANYTHING more closely when it's applicable to your life and that's not just history/genealogy related. When I did computer training, I could tell someone 100 times how to do something, but until they actually had to do it, they didn't pay attention.....and then they'd call me.

I thought the last two episodes were the best of the season, but then I'm less interested in the human interest story-ish ones we saw earlier in the season. I like the more history-focused episodes.

The only episode I've really enjoyed lately of the human interest/recent history types was Minnie Driver's episode on the UK version. She delved into her father's family, which she knew nothing about. Her mother was the other woman, so she'd never even met her grandparents. She learned a lot about why her father (who was quite a bit older than her mother) was the way he was and what happened to him as a young man. She met family members she'd never known and was just utterly charming.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think I am a bit of both history and human interest -- but I do find the history a bit more fascinating.

I LOVE the BBC episodes so much more they are so done differently and I wish Lisa Kudrow would follow their lead. I do agree the Christina Appelgate episode has to be my favorite episode ever. Made me cry. I know on her twitter she is still looking into her family tree and even asked people to send her any information if they found anything....I tell you once you start on the road of family tree history you get hooked for sure!

First of all, thanks to those who recommended the BBC version of the show. I love it! J.K. Rowling's story was especially fascinating.

Second of all, brush with greatness!

My husband had heard he was related to Trisha Yearwood - but couldn't remember who told him that or where the connection was. When I watched tonight's episode, my ears perked up. I knew his maternal great-grandmother was a Winslett from Putnam County, GA. When I told my husband about it and he got out his genealogy papers so I could see the line and my husband is a direct descendant through Samuel's son Richard. He had to call his mom to tell her. Next week we're recording the repeat of the show so we can show it to our kids. I've wished I had the resources of the show since they find such interesting things. I guess the next best thing is for it to happen to my husband's side.

The really funny thing is that, also on his mom's side, he's related to Jennifer Nettles. (She's my husband's first cousin's daughter.) What are the odds of being related to two country stars? Now my husband is wondering whether Jennifer has any idea that she's related to Tricia!

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    First of all, thanks to those who recommended the BBC version of the show. I love it! J.K. Rowling's story was especially fascinating.

Second of all, brush with greatness!

My husband had heard he was related to Trisha Yearwood - but couldn't remember who told him that or where the connection was. When I watched tonight's episode, my ears perked up. I knew his maternal great-grandmother was a Winslett from Putnam County, GA. When I told my husband about it and he got out his genealogy papers so I could see the line and my husband is a direct descendant through Samuel's son Richard. He had to call his mom to tell her. Next week we're recording the repeat of the show so we can show it to our kids. I've wished I had the resources of the show since they find such interesting things. I guess the next best thing is for it to happen to my husband's side.

The really funny thing is that, also on his mom's side, he's related to Jennifer Nettles. (She's my husband's first cousin's daughter.) What are the odds of being related to two country stars? Now my husband is wondering whether Jennifer has any idea that she's related to Tricia!
    That is great news! If I were related to a celebrity, I think I would be so excited.

What are the odds of being related to two big country artists? OMG. I would definitely let them know. I think they would find it very interesting and would want to know.

Actually, Deb, I'm sure she WOULDN'T want to know! I know from my husband being related to Jennifer Nettles, she takes her privacy very seriously - even with family. In fact, my MIL was invited to her baby shower last Fall. It was a family only shower for her and her sister who was also expecting, (cousins, aunts and so on, ) but even then, she wouldn't allow any pictures of herself. It wasn't like they took the cameras at the door, just that she dodged out of the way whenever someone tried to photograph her. I guess she feels she can't be too careful. (Which is a pretty sad way to live, if you ask me!)

And as far as being related to a "celebrity," when I said to my husband how amazing I thought it was, he replied that probably more people than they know are related to someone famous. When you think about having a 5th great-grandfather in common, it doesn't take many generations before the descendants number in the thousands.

The crazy thing is, that as we watch the show, when it goes back a good ways, probably many of us are hearing the stories of our ancestors and don't know it! That's why being related to in some way to royalty seems so common among those who have done genealogy. The generations multiply so quickly!
    AmyKay likes this.

My family is from Spain by way of Cuba so I can only trace my line back to the 1800's because it's incredibly difficult to get information out of Cuba.

My husband? Totally different story! His ancestors include (either grandfathers, uncles, cousins, etc however many times removed and back) Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Martha Washington's first husband, and his people also were prominent in the founding of the country with a stone honoring his grandfather for founding some portion of Rhode Island. They were not on the Mayflower but they were on the second supply ship into Jamestown. His family is rich in Virginia history and then they started moving west and founded a county in Texas that is named after them. One of his grandmothers is Mary sister of Anne Boleyn.

I had so much fun researching his family line. It was bittersweet though because I was fascinated and was able to go back a ridiculous amount of centuries (however how much is true since once he got in the Boleyn/Tudor lines then we all know they made a bunch of stuff up) then seeing that I couldn't go back so far on my own line.

The one grandfather of his that I found so fascinating was Wyatt the Younger who was beheaded in the Tower of London for leading some sort of uprising against Queen Mary in support of Elizabeth.

Point is - that I completely agree that everybody is related to somebody infamous/famous and that we all have royalty in our blood.

Except for my family who evidently rose up out of the water in the 1800's and didn't exist before that time, lol. I did manage to figure out that they are from the Basque region of Spain but nothing more than that.

I wanted to add my thanks to whomever gave the tip to watch the UK version of this show on Youtube. I watched the Patrick Stewart episode and it was fascinating. I can't wait to watch more!
    nanarama likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I enjoyed Trisha's episode very much. Wow, do be hung for stealing deer. Yikes! Can't wait til next week with Jim Parsons!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread