+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

Did they skip Rosie....nobody mentioned her episode?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    No, they showed it, and it's available on Hulu, so I won't get into specifics in case you'd like to watch it and be surprised, but I will say that I found the trip to Ireland and the research there especially interesting as well as the part about the unidentified photo that had been a part of her childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Rosie's discovery was very moving. It all made sense in a way. I have always been very touched by Rosie's generousity. When it come to giving to others, especially the poor and disable, Rosie leads the way. She loves to give. I often wonder how rich she must be to give so much. And to think that her ancestors were so desperately poor. It all makes sense.

Please watch it if you can locate it. I wish Time Warner CAble would allow you to get the good shows on demand after they run. It seems they are very limited in the ones you can do that with.

Kim Catrell's grandfather was hiding in the photo that Kim's family had of him. I wonder if he had another family when he married Kim's grandmother. I know he was young, but he was old enough that he could have had a family before then. That would explain why he was hiding in that family photo.

Also, when he up and moved to Australia, perhaps someone had located him and he had to get out of the country. I think there was much more to it than they revealed.

When one of my friends and I were discussing the Kim Cattrall episode, the one thing we kept coming back to was that the grandfather's family lived so close to their son's/brother's family and yet, hardly EVER contacted them or tried to help the tossed aside wife and her three young daughters. I wonder if there was more going on then that just wasn't mentioned in the episode....Kim had no trouble tracking down her grandfather's family, surely her grandmother had tried asking them for help after her husband abandoned her? And then the man only went as far as Manchester, England and didn't even try to change his name when he enlisted in the British navy or when he re-married. George Baugh. DID Kim's grandmother or her mother or aunts never try to find him before? I tried to put myself in the mother's shoes....if I never knew what had happened to my father, I would definitely be curious enough over the years to try and find out.....I would just want to KNOW.

I dunno, just think there's a lot more to this particular story than what we saw on the episode.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I agree Elizabeth G. Maybe they will sort it all out. Did you see the caption at the end of the show that said that Kim's mom and her sisters had been corrsponding with their half-siblings in Australia. That's nice.
    I can see how they might not have wanted to pursue the matter as they grew up. You never know what was at the bottom of it. Plus, those Brits are quite different with certain things.

I really felt for Kim. Wouldn't it suck to be from an entire family of Englishmens, born in England and the only one without a British accent? I'd be ticked big time. I love a British accent. If I were Kim, I would have gotten me one, one way or the other. LOL

FORT Fogey

Really liked the Lionel Ritchie episode, because of all the history regarding the Order of Wise Men, which I hadn't realized existed. It was also interesting that his initial impression of his grandfather was that he had to be a scoundrel, when it's possible there were other factors there that were affecting the marriage/divorce. I wondered if his grandfather was perhaps felt somehow just too ashamed to go home to his family after the organization collapsed, though that appears not to have been his fault.

I know they only have so much time, but I would have loved to know how his grandmother managed after the divorce, because she clearly must have worked hard to become what she did. I thought it was very interesting that he was basically raised on the campus of Tuskeegee Institute too. As he pointed out, when the Civil Rights movement was just beginning, he was a child surrounded by black men who were professors and lawyers and he thought that was simply how things were, because his parents worked so hard to protect their children from the ugliness of racism.

I don't have any strong feelings about Lionel Ritchie--I've neither particularly liked or disliked him. I've enjoyed some of his songs, but I never felt compelled to buy any of his music. That's one of the things I really like about this show. To me, whoever the celebrity of the week is doesn't matter, because it's always that person's relatives who end up the star of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't have any strong feelings about Lionel Ritchie--I've neither particularly liked or disliked him. I've enjoyed some of his songs, but I never felt compelled to buy any of his music. That's one of the things I really like about this show. To me, whoever the celebrity of the week is doesn't matter, because it's always that person's relatives who end up the star of the show.
    That's one of the things I like so much about this show - everyone has a story and they're all interesting. It's just fun to see these people learn about where they came from. In the context of this show, they're all just regular people.

I really enjoyed the Lionel Richie episode, especially because there was so much genealogical work done.

I just checked the official site and, apparently, they're re-running the Kim Catrall episode next week. Of all the episodes they could re-run, this is the one I'm least interested in seeing again. I'd prefer if they aired an episode or two from last season for the people who may have missed them.

For the remainder of the season, we have Steve Buscemi, Ashley Judd and Gwyneth Paltrow. I'm looking forward to all of them!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Again, I enjoyed the Lionel Richie episode as well. The one genealogical tool that was used and which I have mulled over using is getting a copy of the original SS application for a particular indivudal. Makes sense for a direct ancestor but there have been individuals in my own research for which I had the data listed on the form as well.
    In the end, if I had to bet which Morgan Brown was his direct ancestor, I would guess Dr. Brown. Might be interesting to check whether Morgan W Brown fathered other children with other slaves and if his father made sure their freedom was guaranteed. It just seems that Dr. Brown was ensuring Mariah and John Lewis' future against the possibility that Morgan W Brown might not do the right thing (if they were Morgan W's responsibility)
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Loved Lionel Richie on Friday's episode. I grew up on his music and love his solo work too. Easy on Sunday Morning, Brickhouse, etc. I just love his music. Years ago, a friend of mine, had a friend who socialized with him. She had photos of them partying together in several cities in her home. I really liked seeing him research his roots. What an amazing story. I wonder if he looked for other relatives, after learning what he did. I imagine he has many white relatives too.

I'm learning a lot about history from these shows. It's so interesting.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Loved Lionel Richie on Friday's episode. I grew up on his music and love his solo work too. Easy on Sunday Morning, Brickhouse, etc. I just love his music. Years ago, a friend of mine, had a friend who socialized with him. She had photos of them partying together in several cities in her home. I really liked seeing him research his roots. What an amazing story. I wonder if he looked for other relatives, after learning what he did. I imagine he has many white relatives too.

I'm learning a lot about history from these shows. It's so interesting.
    Same here. I wonder if the stars get a lot more information that there just isn't time to air, so the producers just pick what seems to make the most interesting story. I would have a hard time choosing whether to pursue information from my mother's or father's side of the family, not to mention focusing mainly on one relative from one side of the family. It's really fascinating how much they can find and all the records they discover.

+ Reply to Thread