+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Are you serious about the dog breed DNA test? Great idea. I'd do it. I had a stray once that was such a beautiful dog. I adopted her and she was much like my child. Everyone asked what breed she was. She was so lovely. Parts of her were like a collie, parts like a golden retriever, parts like St. Bernard. I always wanted to know. Sadly she's gone now.
    Totally serious. You can order the tests on-line. I would think some vets might do them in-house too. Too bad they're so expensive or humane societies might use them to gauge more accurately what their dogs are. I'm frequently astonished by the bad guesses around here. I mean, how does someone mistake a Weimeraner for a lab? How many grey labs are there?

I lost a much beloved dog this March and thought I might never get another, but I broke down in mid-June and ended up with the Shelterrier I now have (who, at the moment, is ripping apart yet another rope toy--he certainly is a vacuuming challenge). It's a big jump to go from a nearly thirteen year old dog to an eight month old puppy.

I cried like a baby when I saw this episode (just watched it over dinner)....LOVED it, one my favorites in the serious.

I had heard about the DNA testing for dogs we asked our vet about it since the dog we found on route 666 is truly mixed with every little breed dog out there in the world, he said they are a waste of money on it so I never pursued it. I am happy just to know I have a happy, healthy, rascally little cutie pie that loves me.

I just watched the Alex Kingston UK episode and OMG. What a story. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to watch. It's on YouTube. Starting in with Patrick Stewart now....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just watched the Alex Kingston UK episode and OMG. What a story. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to watch. It's on YouTube. Starting in with Patrick Stewart now....
    I saw that one over the weekend it was very good....I also saw the Stephan Fry it was amazing.

FORT Fan

The other interesting thing is that the 551 (?) Market Street address her grandmother lived at was just blocks from most of the places that Christina visited (courthouse, library, vital records, etc.) There aren't houses there now.
    Trust Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Oh I do like her. I'm going to have to watch it!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Oh I do like her. I'm going to have to watch it!
    It was very good. I like her a lot too.

Patrick Stewart's episode was very much about his father, who abused Patrick's mother. He did a lot of delving into his father's military service during WWII. Not as much genealogy as just history, but still interesting.

Also watched episodes for Celia Imrie and Annie Lennox, both of whom I love. Both very good. Still looking for Sebastian Coe's episode and can't find it anywhere
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I caught up on Christina's episode and watched Chelsea....enjoyed both of them much more than the Kelly C episode. Maybe because these two women had a particular focus due to some knowledge of their family or they were just more intelligent than Kelly, but their questions and comments were interesting. Kelly's total lack of knowledge of most anything was so off-putting.
    nanarama likes this.

FORT Fogey

After watching Chelsea Handler's episode, I kept thinking there was something about the Algona prison camp that had come up recently--like in the last few years. I grew up in southern Minnesota, and thus I'm familiar with Algona, Iowa. Anyway, it dawned on me this morning what it was, and I double-checked on-line, and I was right. Four of the men held prisoner there built a life-size sixty-five figure nativity scene while they were in Algona, and when the war was over, they donated the scene to the town of Algona in gratitude for the decent treatment they had received (and which, according to the Handler episode, they obviously had not expected). Of course, they also couldn't possibly have taken it with them, but they had to have known that when they asked for--and received--permission to build it (though at the time, I don't think those running the prison camp realized it was going to end up quite so large). The nativity is now the responsibility of the local Methodist church, and it's still displayed every year, for the month of December, in a building at the local fairgrounds, because it's the only place that's really large enough to display it. What I had remembered is that they had to raise money to repaint it--and not for the first time--a few years ago, and they weren't sure they could do it this time, but enough people were upset that it might not be displayed again that the money was raised. It's certainly not the most attractively done nativity ever, so I doubt it was its artistic merit that people were interested in preserving. They just wanted to keep it going because of what it represented in terms of people recognizing that the evil "other" they each thought they were were simply people.

It probably didn't hurt any that it that area of the country, there are lots of German-Americans, so finding translators when the prisoners first arrived likely wasn't all that difficult.

FORT Fogey

There was a POW camp in my city for Italian POWs and when the camp changed to an industrial park, they discovered a religious shrine that the men had made. It has been preserved and is now the center of a social area of the park. I also heard from the older residents of the city that the men were allowed to come to Sunday dinner at houses of people who were of Italian heritage......I found that amazing.

+ Reply to Thread