+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I look foward to watching last night's episode tonight.

What do you mean that you don't care for the personal interest side of things? What would that include except for names, dates and locations. I'm not sure how taking out the personal stories would help.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

If I am fond of the celebrity, I don't mind the personal side of things. Of course, if I weren't fond of the celebrity, I probably wouldn't be watching the episode . . . . that will happen later when they have Chelsea Handler on!

I don't find KC to be fake, but I am hoping she watches her own episode and realizes how many times she says "ya know" and "like".
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

My guide said 30 min and I didn't check when recording that there was another 30 min. Anyway, I'll have to find the second half somewhere else.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    If I am fond of the celebrity, I don't mind the personal side of things. Of course, if I weren't fond of the celebrity, I probably wouldn't be watching the episode . . . . that will happen later when they have Chelsea Handler on!

I don't find KC to be fake, but I am hoping she watches her own episode and realizes how many times she says "ya know" and "like".
    I think you might be surprised if you give CH a chance. For me, it's never about the celebrity, it's about the journey. I can't think of anyone - even actors whose work I really don't like or people I think are creeps - who I wouldn't watch on this show. I think everyone has an interesting story. I mean, the closest I came to not watching was the Paula Deen episode, but I still watched. Didn't change my opinion of her, (in fact, it only confirmed it) but I found the story interesting.

You'd think Jerry Springer - and I mean pre-DWTS when most people only knew him from his talk show - would be terrible, but his episode on the British version of this show was, I think, one of the most emotional and affecting of the entire series.

Ariel - I'd be surprised if the episode wasn't available either OnDemand or online.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I think I would prefer the UK version. I really don't care about the personal interest side. I also would have loved to learn about more of her ancestors instead of just the one.

I wonder if I can find the British version somewhere online to watch?
    While it would be nice to cover more then one person, I enjoy the more personal story that covering one ancestor brings. I enjoyed the show. Yes, she did get somewhat "awesome-y" and I started to wonder if she understood the scope of Andersonville, but when she started to tear up, I realized she got it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I think that when they do focus on one ancestor it means that either the researchers couldn't get any further on the family tree OR the stories just weren't that interesting. I mean, to the individual whose family is being researched it's ALL interesting, but they also need to make the show entertaining for viewers. I'm sure there are many "regular" people (including me!) whose family trees are full of farmers who lived quiet lives and never left the county in which they were born. Not such riveting TV.

I've watched several dozen episodes of the British version and I prefer it to the American version. Even if I had absolutely NO idea who the subject of the episode was, I still enjoyed watching.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that when they do focus on one ancestor it means that either the researchers couldn't get any further on the family tree OR the stories just weren't that interesting. I mean, to the individual whose family is being researched it's ALL interesting, but they also need to make the show entertaining for viewers. I'm sure there are many "regular" people (including me!) whose family trees are full of farmers who lived quiet lives and never left the county in which they were born. Not such riveting TV.

I can just see it, they have some big star there and say "great great great grandfather Joe was born and die in the same town were he lived as a farmer" the end.

I actually cracked a joke about this the other day to somebody who had recently used the website to do their family tree. This person was bragging about all the famous people they are related to (king, queens, etc). I said, "Isn't it funny how nobody is ever related to a potato farmer?"

They were not amused while I was very amused. LOL

Last summer, I did our family tree. My husband is related to pretty much everybody and his ancestors were on the second supply ship through Jamestown Island. Me? I'm happy to report that I am a complete and utter commoner without a single famous and notable ancestor in my tree. We were all sugar cane planters down in the island. Somebody has to be the one doing all the work and building nations, lol.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I actually cracked a joke about this the other day to somebody who had recently used the website to do their family tree. This person was bragging about all the famous people they are related to (king, queens, etc). I said, "Isn't it funny how nobody is ever related to a potato farmer?"

Last summer, I did our family tree. My husband is related to pretty much everybody and his ancestors were on the second supply ship through Jamestown Island. Me? I'm happy to report that I am a complete and utter commoner without a single famous and notable ancestor in my tree. We were all sugar cane planters down in the island. Somebody has to be the one doing all the work and building nations, lol.
    My father's ancestors were peasant/farmers in Europe, the most daring thing that happened was my Great Grandmother, Grandmother and father (as a child) escaping East Germany with the help of Russian soldiers. Other then that, they really didn't do much remarkable (except have my dad!).

My mom's Great Uncle was a painter who actually was known in the art world. I have read bits about his life, its really neat. Her father was an architect who at the time, constructed the roads in the Dominican Republic. Past that, I don't know too much more.

My manager is a genealogist. I should enlist her help one day. I have a feeling my dad's side will be difficult.

Oh, don't get me wrong, while there are plenty of farmers on my family tree, there are also kings, queens and a Roman Emperor. If you go back far enough on your family tree, you'll get a little bit of everything.

I'm never going to be "done" with my family tree. I've been researching on and off for at least 20 years. In my experience, it's like a jigsaw puzzle that just gets bigger and bigger. You never find the edges and there are always some pieces that won't ever be found.
    nanarama likes this.

+ Reply to Thread