+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

how was this show doing in ratings? I have to admit I love NBC Friday nights -- this show, and then Grimm....sad to see it end.

do you think we can start a campaign to save it??????????????

It was doing pretty badly in the ratings. I think the last I looked, it was getting a 1.8, which is the basement. If anything could have saved it, it would have been more money from Ancestry.com. I don't think there's any way they won't cancel the show. It's all about money now.

At least there's still the UK (and other) episodes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    What I liked about the show wasn't necessarily learning about celebrities... but learning about what life was really like in earlier times.
    For me too. You put faces to the real life stories and it could be so enlightening or heartbreaking.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I have just "discovered" this show, and I guess now it's going to be cancelled. Well, I always knew it was on, and I'm very into family history, but felt this was probably just a one hour ad for Ancestry. In a way, it is, but it's still interesting to actually get to see some of the history they are researching. It would be awesome to have the money and ability to travel to the various places my ancestors were from and see the original documents.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

I just watched the Paula Deen episode right now and found myself cringing every few minutes. I just find her really fake and over-the-top. I know the "granddaddy" thing is Southern, but it's still annoying.

I admit, I totally let my feelings about her affect me in watching the episode. I just thought all her her reactions were so ridiculously over-the-top and dramatic. Someone in 1850's Georgia owned slaves!? A soldier in the Civil War died!? Someone committed suicide!? I can't imagine how she would have handled the weird coincidence on Martin Sheen's family tree or any number of truly awful things we saw the celebs learn about this season. Not to minimize the events of Paula's family tree, but I just found all of her reactions to be really overly-dramatic.

I mean, I guess I'd be shocked if I found a plantation owner on my family tree, but that's because we're mostly northerners. I know I WAS shocked to find a family name on the Auschwitz death rolls because I didn't expect it and because we're not Jewish (the family was Polish).

I'm sad that this is likely the last episode of the show. I wish it had been a celebrity that I actually like. I guess I'm going to have to hope that the UK version keeps going, so I can get my fix that way!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Paula Deen was the worst episode, IMHO. She had really over the top reactions to the Civil War death of the son of her greatX3 grandfather's son and the suicide, but only in the VO at the end gave any mention of them being pro-slavery and how that was bad. If somewhere in my family history I found there were slave owners, I'd be all "F-- them!" because slave-keeping is just not allowable to my mind, even in the time. People could hire workers then; it wasn't prohibited.

Also, given the past episodes, I'm kind of bewildered why they stuck to the slave-owning rural judge aspect and didn't go back to where the family came from in Europe. I'm guessing British roots somewhere given the surnames. That would have been far more palatable than a sad-sack rural legislator/judge in nowheresville GA who was pro-slavery.
    Critical likes this.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Paula Deen episode and thought her emotions were honest and above board. That's just the kind of person she is....she always wears her heart on her sleeve.

Sad the show was cancelled. Really too bad...
    Debb70 likes this.

I wish I really knew what was going through the exec's mind when they decide to cancel these shows...here I am wondering how in the heck did a show like the killing get a 2nd season when we have so many shows this season that really and trully deserve 2nd seasons are being cancelled left and right....they IMO just want to make more room for reality tv and that is just what we don't need
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Paula Deen was the worst episode, IMHO. She had really over the top reactions to the Civil War death of the son of her greatX3 grandfather's son and the suicide, but only in the VO at the end gave any mention of them being pro-slavery and how that was bad. If somewhere in my family history I found there were slave owners, I'd be all "F-- them!" because slave-keeping is just not allowable to my mind, even in the time. People could hire workers then; it wasn't prohibited.

Also, given the past episodes, I'm kind of bewildered why they stuck to the slave-owning rural judge aspect and didn't go back to where the family came from in Europe. I'm guessing British roots somewhere given the surnames. That would have been far more palatable than a sad-sack rural legislator/judge in nowheresville GA who was pro-slavery.
    Yep, this is how I felt too.

I know someone whose reaction to everything is either nothing or teary-eyed hand-wringing/pearl-clutching. When the reaction is over-the-top to everything, you get to the point where it's just enough. Yes, some of Paula's story was sad, but good grief. Her reactions were all just too dramatic for me. Maybe she is genuine, but she's always seems fake to me.

I have to say that of all my favorite episodes of this show, none of them are from the American version. Maybe Lisa Kudrow, but that's it. Still, I like it better than most shows on TV.

I'm still surprised that the show has been canceled. I read an article not long ago that indicated that it was bolstering NBC's ratings on Friday night. The bar for NBC is set pretty low, but still. My feeling is that the show was just more costly to produce than the average reality show. The amount of foreign travel and the number of historians and genealogists they have to pay probably puts a pretty high price tag on each episode.

The show received an Emmy nomination for Best Reality Show. The optimist in me hopes this will cause NBC to have second thoughts about cancellation.

+ Reply to Thread