+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I enjoyed the episode very much. His own father really broke the cycle.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

It made me hope that he's not the father of January Jones' baby, since that father has stayed anonymous and out of the baby's life and Jason was one of the rumored possible fathers.

I like Jason on SNL, but I found this episode depressing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I thought they ended it on a high note, with Jason thanking his father and the whole family sitting outside around the table. Most of the episodes have depressing elements ... ancestors slaughtered, imprisoned, killed, owning slaves, abandoning families, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I thought they ended it on a high note, with Jason thanking his father and the whole family sitting outside around the table. Most of the episodes have depressing elements ... ancestors slaughtered, imprisoned, killed, owning slaves, abandoning families, etc.
    But most of the episodes have so uplifting stories in among the sad ones. Aside from Jason's father breaking the cycle, it was all sad. The one father who didn't willingly abandon his children was blown up in a coal mine explosion. That man's son and grandson abandoned their families either for a second family or for alcohol. I just was hoping for something a little less sad for the episode featuring a comedian!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

This show was canceled. It's too bad; it was a good show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Phooey! I didn't see that announced anywhere. I'm really disappointed.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I can't imagine how expensive this show is to produce.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of Sudeikis--generally think he's a bit of an ass, which kind of came across in the narration--but I found his story interesting because it parallels 75% of my family's history. Well, I should qualify that lest you all think I come from a long line of alcoholic homeless people who refuse to work or bigamists; his great-great grandfather who came over from Eastern Europe to work in the coal mines is what was the common factor. Three branches of my family were also Easter European immigrants of the same period who landed in Pennsylvania to work the coal mines and several of them died in the mines. The live flame on the head gear truly was harrowing. That people did that to support their families, spend their paycheck at the company store, and that was better than what they had in their home country really hit me. I'm going to miss this show. What the hell else is NBC spending money on these days? Andy Cohen's lazy eye surgery? I think not.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post

That is unfortunate. There were so many other celebrities I would have liked to have seen on the show.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    That is unfortunate. There were so many other celebrities I would have liked to have seen on the show.
    What I liked about the show wasn't necessarily learning about celebrities... but learning about what life was really like in earlier times.

+ Reply to Thread