+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I think Lisa Kudrow has mentioned that both Marisa Tomei and Rob Lowe were supposed to be on earlier seasons, but the research took much longer than anticipated.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

I'm related to Rob by my sister's marriage and I work in Trenton and live in Newtown, Bucks County. I had no idea he was here filming. Damn!
    Trust Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Newsboi View Post
    I'm related to Rob by my sister's marriage and I work in Trenton and live in Newtown, Bucks County. I had no idea he was here filming. Damn!
    OMG. That is so impressive.

I loved' the episode on Rob. I'm going to follow through with my research for sure. My dad would just love it if I could find out our ancestors were in the Revolutionary War. We have some from the Civil War. He's a real fan of that kind of thing.

Wow, Rashida Jones's story really affected me. The story of her family in Latvia is very similar to the story of my family in what is now Poland. In that town, German soldiers rounded up all of the men and executed 300 of them and buried them in a mass grave. Others were sent to concentration camps. The family was not Jewish - they were Polish. Unless you've seen your family name on a death roll for Auschwitz, you can't begin to imagine the chill that runs through you. There's something about that word. Someday, I hope to go to the town in Poland and see the memorial the way that Rashida did.

I've always liked Rashida, but I didn't know much about her as a person. I was really impressed with her and how intelligent and well-spoken she is. I knew she went to Harvard. It's clear she didn't get in based on who her parents are.

Only two more episodes left. Jason Sudekis is next week. I like him, but know nothing about him, so I'm interested to see his episode. That means Paula Deen is the last episode. Saying that I'm not a fan of hers is a massive understatement. I don't know if I'll be able to sit through a whole hour of her. Next week may be the season finale for me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I also enjoyed Rashida's episode as well. How moving it was and how sad to look at those old pictures, family and know they all were wiped out. Wow.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I also enjoyed Rashida's episode as well. How moving it was and how sad to look at those old pictures, family and know they all were wiped out. Wow.
    I didn't remember seeing pictures of the extended family, just of Rashida's line - all of them got out. It was the brothers who stayed in Latvia. Rashida's ancestor left before that all happened.

I was moved by that lopsided family tree that just ended for whole lines of the family. There are so many family trees that look just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I didn't remember seeing pictures of the extended family, just of Rashida's line - all of them got out. It was the brothers who stayed in Latvia. Rashida's ancestor left before that all happened.

I was moved by that lopsided family tree that just ended for whole lines of the family. There are so many family trees that look just like that.
    They showed pictures of those who stayed and perished.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    They showed pictures of those who stayed and perished.
    You're right - I just remembered Rashida seeing the passport photos, including the woman who Rashida resembled.

wow I cannot believe how some episodes can affect me.....being from European descendants and hearing how a town was wiped out really made me cry -- Rashida Jones episode was so good. I never knew who she was but I have grown to like her. What a beautiful soul she has!

I know doing my family tree it's not just about putting names on a tree branch I want to learn about them....learn about their lives....that is the fun part!

this has been a great season so far!
    Cootie likes this.

FORT Fogey

No comments yet about the Jason Sudeikis episode? It's one of my favorites because of the message running through it about the importance of fathers in children's lives. So sad about the grandfather, even though he chose to live the way he did. Jason was genuinely moved, and I can see how this experience could be life-changing for him. It certainly made him appreciate his own father all the more!

+ Reply to Thread