+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I'm still watching the Tim McGraw episode, but HALLELUJAH, I think he has thanked every single historian/genealogist so far!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really enjoyed the Tim McGraw journey as it took us back to before the Revolutionary War. The journal of a 16 year old George Washington was fascinating.

I'm not looking forward to the overly emotional Rosie McDonnell next week, but it looks as though we'll get to see the Irish dark side.

My Great Aunt on my Mother's side had a tree done by a genealogist which I have now passed down to a second cousin. It concerned my Grandfather Rundell and his roots which the pro traced back to Lord Ap in Wales who was ancestor to Henry Adams, who received a land grant in the Massachusetts colony. One of Henry's 7 sons is my ancestor and another of his sons is the Grandfather of John and Samuel Adams. There is a mention of fighters in the Revolutionary War and Civil War. One of my ancestors was, allegedly, a captain of a slave ship who married a Creole woman and was banished from the family...thus the western journey over many generations began from New York state to Canada to Wisconsin to North Dakota to Oregon.

I still want to know about my Grandmother's family and my Father's family who immigrated from Sweden in the 1870s. But, as noted, I don't want to pay the money at Ancestry dot com.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 02-12-2011 at 03:31 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I watched Tim McGraw's story this morning. I am interested in the reference to the Palantines because I'm pretty sure that some of my German/Swiss ancestors arrived in that manner. Unfortunately, my ancestors didn't leave much of a paper trail locally even though I've done enough research to know that they lived in central PA for more than 200 years.
    As far as Ancestry.com goes. I do have a subscription but the bulk of my local research was done at historical archives or even contacting other researchers thru Rootsweb.com (free) or getting help with obtaining records via Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. The beauty of Ancestry.com is that the organized procedure allows people who don't know about family group sheets or primary historical references to still search for their family connections. I did notice that this season, ancestry.com does not have the link for entering the Family Sweepstakes on the Ancestry site but linked to NBC's showsite.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

FORT Fogey

I loved the Tim McGraw episode, because it was very different than any of the other ones we've seen, and because he came across as so very gracious. I like it when they mix things up and go through a different part of history than they've dealt with before.

I'm looking forward to next week, because I'm intrigued by the Irish history angle. I never really care who the celebrity is. To me, the "celebrities" are the ancestors and their histories. As I said, I really enjoyed the Tim McGraw episode, and I very rarely listen to country music.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4190620;
    I loved the Tim McGraw episode, because it was very different than any of the other ones we've seen, and because he came across as so very gracious. I like it when they mix things up and go through a different part of history than they've dealt with before.

I'm looking forward to next week, because I'm intrigued by the Irish history angle. I never really care who the celebrity is. To me, the "celebrities" are the ancestors and their histories. As I said, I really enjoyed the Tim McGraw episode, and I very rarely listen to country music.
    Exactly! I don't think this is the kind of show that would edit anyone to look bad, so if Vanessa Williams was thanking everyone the way Tim did, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have shown it. I'm not a fan of Tim's music either, but I'm a fan of him as a person.

I feel the same way about who the celebrities are on this show. For me, the story itself is much more interesting than whose story it is. We all have ancestors and watching someone learn about where and who they came from is really interesting.

Looking forward to Rosie O'Donnell next week!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I enjoyed see Tim. I have loved his music for a long time. I thought he was quite gracious and just came off as a super nice guy. I recall his wife, Faith Hill, talking about how she spent an afternoon riding around in his jeep in the country one day and he was so genuine, that she fell for him that day and knew he was the one. I now see how that could happen. LOL

I can't wait to see Rosie! I love Rosie, warts and all. She went though some rough spots, but I think she's been doing quite well for awhile now. I heard she has an upcoming show on OWN. I just like the way she connects with the audience. Also, I have some Irish in my history too.

Kim Catrall's story was heart-breaking. It was more of a private detective story to find her grandfather who just up and disappeared leaving a wife and 3 young daughters, including Kim's mom. My cable was on the fritz, so I had to watch it the next day on hulu. Does anyone else here use that? The story did use geneology to find him, but it wasn't the usual "discover your heritage" line the show usually follows. I'm glad they ended with the printed note at the end about the sisters contacting people in Australia. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it yet.
    Count your blessings!

It was a great show. I was amazed at the cruelty of her grandfather to abandon his family like that. Even his sisters and parents never knew what happened to him!

FORT Fogey

I liked the Kim Catrall episode too. It wasn't their usual type of episode, but it brought out the fact that not all genealogical searches are uplifting.

I realize they probably didn't have time, but I would have loved to know how the English and Australian half-siblings are getting along now that they've been in contact. That first conversation must have been pretty awkward, considering that it was obvious that the second family didn't know about the first family either.

I just watched the Kim Cattrall episode and, although I enjoyed it, there wasn't enough genealogical research for my tastes. It felt more like an episode of 60 Minutes or something. Interesting, but very different from every other episode of the show. Oh, and for those keeping score like me, Kim thanked everyone who helped her!

Next week's episode with Lionel Ritchie looks really good!

+ Reply to Thread