+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

The medical condition of Rita's father's first wife was called eclampsia gravidarum. She had seizures. The mother had a difficult pregnancy, and Rita's half brother had a weak immune system. Also, at the time that Rita's father was in the work camp in 1946, Bulgaria was under communist rule. Rita's father escaped when it was dark outside. The people at the work camp didn't have much to eat; they didn't have much protection from the cold during the winter; and there were also women and children at the work camp. In scenes from the next episode, it looks like they will re-enact scenes. That's what the preview for Marisa Tomei's episode looked like: a dramatic movie scene... so I didn't watch that episode. I prefer fact-finding missions... with documents and talking to experts

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    The brother couldn't escape too because he had a family (presumably also in the work camp).
    I don't think she was in the camp. I think they meant that, if he had escaped, she would have been immediately arrested. If the Bulgarian government still had Rita's father on a list of enemies in the 70's, they definitely knew where his brother's family was.

Although this episode wasn't really about genealogy, I found it really moving. I've always liked Rita a lot and it was cool to see her experience all of this. Amazing that her uncle is still alive and kicking at 96! He looked pretty darned good! I would've loved to have seen footage of Rita's brother meeting their uncle too. I definitely went through some Kleenex in this episode!

I wonder if Rita's mother knew about his first wife and his son and about all of the other things Rita discovered. He really had a whole different life before he came to America.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I do have a question on dates, though. If he wife gave birth and died in Dec 1945 and the son died in March 1946 and he traveled and was arrested and sent into forced labor in 1946, why does he say in the letter that he arrived in America in May 1945? Did I miss-hear all the date info?

Yes, you will need tissues...especially with the reunion with her uncle.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Regular

This episode could have been two hours long and I wouldn't have minded. I found myself with lots of questions running through my mind. I'm sure Rita asked probably some of the same questions. Her uncle was probably exhausted by the time she left! And not in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I do have a question on dates, though. If he wife gave birth and died in Dec 1945 and the son died in March 1946 and he traveled and was arrested and sent into forced labor in 1946, why does he say in the letter that he arrived in America in May 1945? Did I miss-hear all the date info?

Yes, you will need tissues...especially with the reunion with her uncle.
    The letter from Rita's father was dated 1950, and he says he arrived in America in 1949, not 1945
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I missed the episode and will have to watch it online. I thought Rita Wilson was Greek, not Bulgarian. Unless it is on her mom's side that she is Greek. Speaking of which, didn't she produce one of Nia Vardalos' movies? I caught My Big Fat Greek Wedding on TV last night... still so funny. Maybe it resonates so much with me b/c of my big, loud, Italian family.

FORT Fogey

I missed the first few minutes of the show, but I think she said her father was born in Greece and then went to Bulgaria. How did her and her brother's last name come to be Wilson? Her father's last name was something like Ibrahimov.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I missed the first few minutes of the show, but I think she said her father was born in Greece and then went to Bulgaria. How did her and her brother's last name come to be Wilson? Her father's last name was something like Ibrahimov.
    Rita's father changed his name when he moved to America.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I missed the episode and will have to watch it online. I thought Rita Wilson was Greek, not Bulgarian. Unless it is on her mom's side that she is Greek. Speaking of which, didn't she produce one of Nia Vardalos' movies? I caught My Big Fat Greek Wedding on TV last night... still so funny. Maybe it resonates so much with me b/c of my big, loud, Italian family.
    Rita's mother is of Greek descent. Rita's father was born in Greece, and of Bulgarian descent.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Rita's mother is of Greek descent. Rita's father was born in Greece, and of Bulgarian descent.
    I don't think he had any Bulgarian heritage. He was born in a village in northern Greece. During the 40's, the area in Greece where he was born was occupied by Bulgaria and considered to be part of the Bulgarian state. He moved to Bulgaria as a young man and fought in the Bulgarian army until he was imprisoned for 2 years.

I just rewatched the episode, which I haven't done with many of the episodes this season. I enjoy the show, but not as much as I did last season and not as much as the UK version or the Skip Gates's new show on PBS, Finding Your Roots. I still won't miss an episode, but I enjoy the show more when it focuses on really digging into the family tree rather than pulling out sensationalistic stories.

Although I still maintain that this show is interesting no matter who the celebrity is, I really like Rita Wilson a lot and enjoyed learning more about her. I cried right along with her! The only person whose story I may have trouble watching is Paula Deen. I'm just not a fan. At all. The whole "down home" thing has always felt fake to me.

+ Reply to Thread