Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

I can't wait to watch it too!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Since the first one up is Martin Sheen, I guess that answers my question about whether they'd ever do anyone who was Latino/Latina, as his actual last name is Estevez.

I just looked up Martin Sheen on Wikipedia and I doubt we'll be going to Mexico. His father was from Spain and his mother from Ireland.

I watched a few more episodes on YouTube, both for people with Jewish heritage. It confirmed what I said above about the lack of records. In both cases the records were kept, but they were destroyed either by the Nazis or by the Communists. one of the people, a TV presenter called Esther Rantzen ended up in cemetery in (I think) Warsaw, but she couldn't find the gravestones of her family because the Nazis had destroyed the records. This was a huge, old cemetery and many of the headstones were so worn, it would have taken a guide of some kind to find the right ones.

I did some more work on my own genealogy last night and I may have found a slave owner. I've felt sick to my stomach ever since. I still haven't confirmed it's the right person though and I'm really hoping it's not my family.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, that's a tough one. My step mother-in-law's family home in Carthage, NC has bullet holes from the civil war in a shed on the property. And yes, unfortunately they were slave owners. I haven't dug too much into my family history but I do know my great grandmother chained herself to the Houses of Parliament in Britain to get the vote for women. Apparently, she was quite the pip. I am sure we have some black sheep too.

The only things unusual I know of in my family is that one of my Great Grandfathers was a stowaway on an immigrant ship to America.
    Also my Grandfather on the other side was sent here at 17 with all the money the family could muster to get settled, save money & arrange for jobs & passage for the rest of the family. He did. Can you imagine sending a 17 year old across the world to do that now?

Anyhow, tonight's the night for the show.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

Loved the ending of Martin Sheen's episode. Well, the whole thing was good, but what he found out by going back seven generations on the Estevez side of his heritage...he's right. If you tried to sell that as fiction, no one would believe it.

BTW, when it comes to seventeen year olds, there was an article in the paper here recently about one of the "lost boys," now a correctional officer, who has raised money to go back to Africa to help establish schools and support other advancements that would allow girls as well as boys to attend school. He isn't exactly helping an entire family to immigrate, but he's doing what he can to help people in the same area gain access to some of the same things he found by immigrating to America. If I remember correctly, he said his life is now in America, but he cannot forget where he came from or the people who were left behind. So, similar things do still happen because of teenage immigrants.

The show doesn't air for another 90 minutes here and I'm getting really excited! In the meantime, I found this interview with Lisa Kudrow in the Hollywood Reporter:
    'Who Do You Think You Are?' EP Lisa Kudrow Reveals Her Dream Stars for the Series - Hollywood Reporter

Interesting that they actually started working on Rob Lowe and Marissa Tomei back in season 1. It just shows how difficult and long the process can be.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

Given the teaser for next week, I wonder if part of the reason Marisa Tomei's took so long to complete had something to do with what appears to be the mystery surrounding the cause of death--illness or murder--of one of her relatives.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

The Martin Sheen episode blew me away. The Irish/Spanish cousins-by-marriage similarity was one thing, but the 1700's stuff...well Mr. Sheen was right, there's no way a person could buy that in a screenplay if it weren't actually true. (A part of me decided the Don's behavior was sooo Charlie, but that may be giving a bit too much credence to 200+ years of genetics. Though I still think the Don may actually be proud of his progeny. )

I enjoyed the Martin Sheen episode too. I find it so interesting when the person finds a link to their ancestors like he did with his two uncles who were both rabble rousers like he is. The UK version of the show has uncovered similar links and it's always fascinating. I watched Zoe Wanamaker's episode on YouTube earlier and there were similar connections made in her research as she traced her father's line in America. Those types of connections really do argue for nature over nurture!

What I didn't like with this episode was the really obvious voice overs that were done to seem like he was talking at that moment. It was very ANTM-ish. I also didn't like the voice over when he said something about how he thought the best place to look for x, y and z was at such and such archive. Like it was his idea. Sorry to nitpick, but they really should have had him just say that he was heading there to look for information. It was like the Bachelor talking about planning a date when all he did was go where they told him. It doesn't take anything away from the show to change that wording just a bit. Yes, I really do know I'm nitpicking.

It looks like Marisa Tomei's story is going to be a scandalous one.

+ Reply to Thread