+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Who Do You Think You Are?

Re: Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC)

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I could maybe understand that some far Eastern countries may be expensive and time consuming to get to, but how hard would it be to get to, say, Mexico for filming? I just think it would be interesting to see stories of immigration from all over the world. Having just watched that celebrity chef thing on the Food Network, Lou Diamond Phillips would be a challenge for them. His ethnic background covers everything from Filipino to Cherokee.
    I have no idea why they haven't pursued that because I think it would be interesting. I have no idea what the records situation is though. I have friends who are Russian Jews and there are just NO records - the government didn't think they were important enough to keep records on Faces of America did have some interesting stuff, especially about Yo-Yo Ma. Since Eva Longoria's family has been in the same general location for something like 8 generations, they didn't go any further south than what is now Southern Texas - the family didn't move, the border did!

I've watched a bunch of the UK episodes now and they're pretty much ALL good. At least one - on David Tennant - seemed too heavy on history vs. genealogy. I wondered if they just didn't find that much. The most emotional was Jerry Springer's. Go figure. His parents were German Jews who fled Germany right before they couldn't - Jerry was born in Britain. I bawled through about half of his episode. I've also watched Jeremy Irons, Alan Cumming and Patsy Kensit. Next up is Rupert Everett!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Okay, I just watched one of the best episodes of this show that I've ever seen! It was on Youtube channel angkangpilipino and the celebrity was an actor called Hugh Quarshie, who's well-known in Britain for his TV work. Totally a case of not knowing who the person is beforehand and then just getting sucked into the story. He goes to Ghana to find out more about his parents' (and his own) roots and what he discovers and the people he meets....well, it's just incredible! Not only was the story SO interesting, but I loved him. He was so enthusiastic and engaged and just lovely. I found myself just grinning through most of it because of the things he learned and who he met and how he reacted to everything. I was totally charmed by him.

I watched the Rupert Everett episode earlier and it was good too.

One of my favorite things about this show is when the participant meets a relative they never knew they had and that happened in the case of both of the above episodes and in several others I've watched over the last few days. I think my favorite part of Spike Lee's story last season was when he met that cousin who looked like Tweetie Bird's grandmother and there he is, sitting on her couch and giggling over the fact that they're related. It's such a human, relatable moment.

Anyway, I've gushed enough about this show for the moment. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend checking out episodes on YouTube on the channel I posted above. There are over 40 episodes on that channel alone and all are pretty good quality. Only one of them (for Rupert Penry-Jones) was wonky with the video and sound out of sync.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I really enjoyed this show while it was on...glad to see it will be coming back
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Thanks, Critical, for the youtube channel name. I can now take my time to watch. I also enjoy the search as well as the stories; so glad this series is returning with more episodes.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Thanks, Critical, for the youtube channel name. I can now take my time to watch. I also enjoy the search as well as the stories; so glad this series is returning with more episodes.
    You're welcome! If you're like me, you just get sucked in. I've watched around a dozen episodes of the UK version. A few that I want to watch don't seem to be available anywhere, notably John Hurt and Nigella Lawson, but there are still a BUNCH I haven't watched. There are some other channels on YouTube that also have episodes, but that one has the most.

It's unbelievable that, when Lisa Kudrow approached the network about bringing the show to America, execs told her it wouldn't be popular here because Americans don't care about history. Explains a lot about the crap on network TV, doesn't it? Obviously, she was right and they were WRONG!

Thanks Critical, I love this show. I found it late last year and plan on going to the site you listed and watching more episodes.
    I think they are wrong that we are not interested in history. It fascinates me, but I guess I'm a geek...
    I recently found out some interesting info on my own family history.

I'm excited for it to be back on too. I was surprised at how interesting it was.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You're welcome! If you're like me, you just get sucked in. I've watched around a dozen episodes of the UK version. A few that I want to watch don't seem to be available anywhere, notably John Hurt and Nigella Lawson, but there are still a BUNCH I haven't watched. There are some other channels on YouTube that also have episodes, but that one has the most.

It's unbelievable that, when Lisa Kudrow approached the network about bringing the show to America, execs told her it wouldn't be popular here because Americans don't care about history. Explains a lot about the crap on network TV, doesn't it? Obviously, she was right and they were WRONG!

I found that astonishing when I first heard it too. I think it must have to do with the way some people define "history"--they think of it as a list of dry dates and accomplishments of the rich and/or famous and that's it. Real history is much more complex than a timeline.

At one point Disney was proposing a theme park that would make American history "palatable" to children, because Eisner, who was running Disney at the time, said when he was a kid, he and his family did all the historical sites in Washington, and he found it "dull." I guess Eisner never realized that a)some of American history should be "palatable" to no one (e.g. slavery, the Japanese internment camps in World War I, the treatment of the Native Americans etc.) and b) perhaps it wasn't Washington that was dull but Eisner himself. The park never came to fruition, because the original site was practically on top of Manassas, which caused a great number of groups--Civil War preservationists, the FFV (many of whom had estates in the area), people who just didn't want to make the commute into Washington D.C. worse, and local environmentalists--to protest. Disney's response was that it could have fought any one group, but all of the groups combined was like trying to "swat gnats" and they gave up. The most interesting part of the protests, according to a presentation I heard about them, was that a lot of people who'd never, under normal circumstances, have had much in common started interacting and formed a cohesive group and learned a lot about each other's lives and passions as a result. I also found it ironic that by doing so they actually emphasized one of the best things about American history in the process: the idea that people can band together in peaceful protest and accomplish something they believe in.

have they posted a list of who all we will see this season I know they are doing more episodes...I know they are having Rita Wilson, and Reba McEntire but I don't know who else...
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I remember that Disney park debacle! The fact that they were going to plop it down in the middle of a bunch of Civil War battlefields was so offensive. I was so happy when they got shot down. As a native of Orange County, I can say that Eisner was widely disliked by most people who worked for Disney. I had friends who worked for various Disney entities, including Disneyland and the Disney Channel so I heard a lot of complaints about him. I remember being at Disneyland and going on the Jungle Boat ride and the "guide" pointed out a big snake, calling it Michael Eisner. That pretty much summed it up.

It's pretty surprising that I ended up majoring in history since I hated it so much in high school. When I was in high school, it was all about dates and events - we got a big list of events and we had to memorize them. There was no attempt to make it interesting or place it in context. It wasn't until I was sin college that I loved history. I was a bio major and had to take a US History class. The teacher - a total surfer dude just made history come to life. When he'd ask "When are dates important?" We'd all have to reply "Only on the weekends!" His point was that he wanted us to understand context, cause and effect, instead just just a date.

I wonder if teachers have used episodes of this show as a teaching aide.

The season premiere is tomorrow night! I'm dorkily excited!

+ Reply to Thread