+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Scared Straight (A&E)

Beyond Scared Straight (A&E)

Soooo, anybody else catching this one? This show focuses on troubled teens who have already been caught stealing, doing drugs, having sex, skipping school etc. and generally all-around think they are bad-asses. They are taken to maximum security prisons to see what jail is really like and where they'll live if they continue down the path they're on. You see these tough kids break down as they meet the prisoners and see how bad the conditions are and what they would have to face.... in the afterstory, some take it to heart and make positive changes in their lives while others do end up in prison.

The first episode was girls. The prison girls were some scary beotches with full face tatoos and all manly. The boys was just as scary as they saw all the opportunity prosioners would have to rape and shank them. Very creepy the way inmates kept calling out to the youngest black boy with the baby face - "hey baby, you know what I wanna do to you?"

Anyhow, just checking to see if anyone else is watching this funfest!

Re: Beyond Scared Straight (A&E)

I missed it! rats. Wonder if it does any good?

We caught the first 2 episodes and they do a follow-up with the kids months later. The prison visit does seem to have really scared many kids away from the bad behaviors and they've turned over a new leaf. They have counselors that continue to help them and many go on to get jobs. They do show a few who actually end up in JV or jail not long after the program. Someone said if they help one kid per session turn away from a life of crime they're happy.

The saddest thing was a very small 13-year-old boy who was stealing alot before he did the program. He was terrified during the program because the prisoners all clearly wanted to rape him and it really seemed he was going to change his ways. The follow-up said he landed in JV for 6 weeks based on a theft charge that happened before the Beyond Scared Straight program.

FORT Fanatic

I thought it was hilarious when that little 13 year old said how if an inmate got in his face he would hit him so hard his mama would feel it. Then 15 mins into the jail hes crying his eyes out.

IMO..those women in the prison were far more scarier than the men
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Why is it that women in jail are ALWAYS scarier than men?

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;4159397;
    IMO..those women in the prison were far more scarier than the men
    I felt the same way! They were very masculine and rough looking, but you could see they were trying to help these kids. Must be something very de-feminizing about being in prison.
    One girl saw her mother whose an inmate in that prison, and ran away from her.

Most states have done away with the scared straight programs. It was shown that the program really did not make a long term difference. It has been years since I studied on the program, it was originally started in the 80's. There were programs long before that but that is when it came to light. These kids are scared when they are being yelled at, but know the inmate really cannot physically touch them.
    There's no place like home!

Yes, they are aware that the inmates can't touch them, but the smart ones will realize that if they should come back without the cameras it's game on. The best line in the last episode came from the inmate who said something about trying to help them while they are there this time but should they come back as an inmate don't expect to find a friend in him. The 19 year old inmate who had been in there since he was 15 and was doing something like 25 years to life should have been the biggest wake up call to them.

Those women were very, very scary. I'm convinced they went and found the hardest women in the place just to get the point across to those girls just how rough it is in there.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

well as one of the women on the show said..we do not discriminate..we accept all applicants..come on if you want
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast