+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Kitchen Nightmares

Re: Kitchen Nightmares Season 3

My dad used to work in various restaurants so I grew up in kitchens. I learned a valuable lesson then that I carry with me today. Ignorance is bliss. You really don't want to know what goes on with your food when you go out to eat. You don't really want to know about the people in back handling your food. You just don't want to know. Just go with it and hope you don't get sick (which has only happened to me once with undercooked food some place).

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    My dad used to work in various restaurants so I grew up in kitchens. I learned a valuable lesson then that I carry with me today. Ignorance is bliss. You really don't want to know what goes on with your food when you go out to eat. You don't really want to know about the people in back handling your food. You just don't want to know. Just go with it and hope you don't get sick (which has only happened to me once with undercooked food some place).
    That's what I was afraid of. But I don't think I've ever gotten really sick from eating at a restaurant.

Edited to add:

The nicest places could be the worst and the "dive" the best. You just never know.

Libgirl, after watching these shows, I'm sure you're right about that. All of the kitchens on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives look clean and orderly. Maybe in some larger kitchens, the owner assumes the chef is taking care of things and never checks up on him.
    Last edited by Kip; 02-28-2011 at 02:23 PM.

True you don't know. I guess if it tastes good and everything seems on the up and up you eat it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    True you don't know. I guess if it tastes good and everything seems on the up and up you eat it.
    And I never want to know. I will send food back that it very obviously not at the right temp though. Got a whole plate of lukewarm food once and then a cold salad that came uncomfortably warm. I expect the right serving temp when I go out. I won't touch buffets or salad bars either. And honestly only ever really got sick once.

But really it doesn't surprise me that the kitchens look as they do. Especially with how these places are run on the show. You got owners that don't really care with staff who are probably sick of working for owners who don't really get it or have all sorts of drama going on. The next natural progression is for stuff like food to start slipping through the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Isn't that the truth!!!
    I enjoy reality cooking shows but I did learn one thing that I'm really sorry that I now know. A lot of these chefs/cooks sweat during the process and kitchens can get quite hot!! I guess I've eaten someone's sweat and that is truly yucky.
    A friend of mine is a professional chef, and even taught at the Cordon Bleu school here. I asked her why people involved w/food prep don't wear hats or nets anymore for their hair. She didn't know why. Said a lot wear sweatbands for the sweat but not all.
    So like you said, it's best to not know or even think about what you're eating when out.

I watched the rerun of "Davide" tonight because I remember that this one from 2/25/11 really touched my heart. Frank was a really good chef who had lost his passion because of the burden of family problems that were not his fault. Really brought me to tears when his wife and brother spoke to him from their heart trying to relight the passion he once had for being the best chef...,and then to see him respond and find his love for the art of cooking was wonderful. So nice to see those involved with caring feelings rather than so many wise-acre mouths and big headed mediocre owners or chefs with filthy run down kitchens.

Very touching....enjoyed this one....

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

JenCos - I didn't re-watch the Davide episode, but I remember it well. I agree that it was a very moving episode. Actually, this season there have been quite a few episodes where it seems as if Ramsay has been as much a family therapist as a restaurant expert.

DragonLady - the sweat thing gets me too. On Iron Chef, Jose Garces sweats a lot. They frequently show shots of beads of sweat barely hanging on the tip of his nose - and then they cut away before it drops. After watching all of these chef/restaurant shows, I really have to make an effort to forget about all that when I go out to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    JenCos - I didn't re-watch the Davide episode, but I remember it well. I agree that it was a very moving episode. Actually, this season there have been quite a few episodes where it seems as if Ramsay has been as much a family therapist as a restaurant expert.
    I watched the British version of this show as well and he wasn't playing therapist all the time. I kind of prefer it that way. The restaurants were bad, the food was bad, the owners/cooks were clueless.... it was alot more fun! The young guy who opened a restaurant in Spain is a classic! Even the music they played is hysterical. And Ramsey is at his beeping best!

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I watched the British version of this show as well and he wasn't playing therapist all the time. I kind of prefer it that way. The restaurants were bad, the food was bad, the owners/cooks were clueless.... it was alot more fun! The young guy who opened a restaurant in Spain is a classic! Even the music they played is hysterical. And Ramsey is at his beeping best!
    The restuarant in spain that was robbed because of the simpleton cash box?

Oh that was great!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    The restuarant in spain that was robbed because of the simpleton cash box?

Oh that was great!
    Yes! La Parra de Burriana!! Between that, the outdoor grill that the chef couldn't even see what he was cooking, the dogs wandering in and out, and the chocolate garlic prawns, that place was doomed. And it made for a deliciously fun episode! Ramsey's reaction to the Kebab is priceless!

+ Reply to Thread