+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Kitchen Nightmares

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Kitchen Nightmares

Scottsdale is close to Tempe - ASU. There is a LARGE available manpower pool, so jobs can be hard to find. Since ABC has been through 100+ staff members in a year (per Samy), it's apparent that NO ONE stays long. And that explains why they can't keep good help.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    Surprised he ever paid them at all - after all he kept all the tips because according to him he did all the work and the waitresses did nothing.
    And, with their rotten luck, they had over a hundred of these bum waitresses that did nothing and had to be fired! No wonder they're crazy!
    Brooks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    What I do not understand is: the waitress in the 1st episode told Gordon she had several years experience as a waitress. And, from what was shown, she seemed pleasant and competent. So, why was she working there for no tips? Are waitress jobs in Scottsdale that hard to find?
    You can be hired for an hourly wage any time, it's just with a tipped salary if tips don't meet the minimum wage minimum plus what the owner is required to pay ($2.17 I think it is, but it's paltry regardless), the owner must make up the difference.

But, still, even with a regular hourly salary (at least $7.25 currently), if you are tipped, you are allowed to keep your tips. If Samy and Amy do not want their waitstaff to be tipped, they would HAVE to say such and have a notice, but even then some folks are generous they'd still tip the waitstaff, just more discretely possibly.

What I think happened is that with Amy and Samy paying the waitstaff $8/hour (and this was confirmed in their Facebook page and articles after the first airing of their business - season finale last year, including when they were hiring for their failed reality TV show pilot), they thought they could keep any tips given on top of it. That said, it is illegal, so when they were caught they blamed everyone but themselves. (Oh and note, they flip-flop on if the waitstaff get to keep their tips or not now).

From experience training to be a waitress (thankfully not stay there - place opened and closed within a half a year), I've found that with some places waitstaff are seen a lot like they were here, a dime a dozen. There's a high enough turnover they know they can get some gullible folks to help them and the few who get smart and realize the shenanigans usually get thrown out quickly. That does NOT mean I feel that is true with all owners, but in some cases. If anything, the stunts pulled by Amy and Samy as far as tips will wake up waitstaff who are in similar situations to work hard and get out of it and into a better job.

Didn't Amy admit in the original KN that the baked goods in the case were bought not made on site? Seems like when Dr Phil mentioned the yummy food & esp the desserts that she puffed herself up like she was taking credit.

The best word to describe her behavior is histrionic.

Basically they are both bat-sh$t crazy.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by rozzie17 View Post
    Didn't Amy admit in the original KN that the baked goods in the case were bought not made on site?
    I don't think so. I listened carefully for it both times they aired it this year because of what I read here.
    Photobabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rozzie17 View Post
    Didn't Amy admit in the original KN that the baked goods in the case were bought not made on site? Seems like when Dr Phil mentioned the yummy food & esp the desserts that she puffed herself up like she was taking credit.
    Like Brooks I don't think it was admitted... she probably figured out that she'd get called out on it like the ravioli.

That said, as someone who has SEEN an actual bakery and display case for a store of her size... she honestly couldn't have as many desserts as she has in the case without all the baking equipment she'd need (and she didn't have it from the shots I saw of the store's interior), nor doing all the cooking herself each day. The place where I would go for baked goods actually had a bit fewer items in their case and they had the equipment needed to bake that many items.

I don't doubt that *some* of her baked goods are made by her, but not all of them. It's similar to what folks said about Cheesecake Factory - it's likely there too that some aren't baked literally in store but pre made because of the amount of customers that come in daily.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Amy didn't make the desserts. She may have sliced them and put them on the plate, but she didn't make them. Honestly, if the woman can't handle two meal orders at the same time, where would she find time to make those desserts . . . which were the ONLY consistently well-done product in the restaurant?

Scuttlebutt online is that she admitted not making them ("reselling is the American way of doing things"), but said she told Ramsay she made them because "he wouldn't understand" otherwise.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Amy didn't make the desserts. She may have sliced them and put them on the plate, but she didn't make them. Honestly, if the woman can't handle two meal orders at the same time, where would she find time to make those desserts . . . which were the ONLY consistently well-done product in the restaurant?

Scuttlebutt online is that she admitted not making them ("reselling is the American way of doing things"), but said she told Ramsay she made them because "he wouldn't understand" otherwise.
    Ramsey wouldn't understand, well that part is true.
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think Ramsey would understand a small restaurant with limited kitchen space purchasing baked goods for sale, but not understand a company named Amy's Baking Company purchasing most, if not all, Baked goods and then lying about it. Those two are just wrong in every way.

I'd love to have a little sit-down with Amy's Ex. Bet he's got some whacko tales to tell from his time with her! Samy and Amy are so co-dependently nuts that it works for their marriage. Meow, meow, meowmeow.
    Brooks and AZChristian like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by punkin
    Meow, meow, meowmeow.
    Which reminds me, those poor cats. Someone call child protective services for the boys, please.
    Punkin, Brooks and AZChristian like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

+ Reply to Thread