+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Kitchen Nightmares

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Kitchen Nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    What did you all think of Amy's comment about NO MEN CHEF in her kitchen. They have very big egos. And she does not want any men touching her in the kitchen when she is cooking.

Whatttttttttttt kind of nonsense is THAT???
    Especially spouting it off to one of the best-known male chefs in the world.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My first inclination was to comment that Arizona is referred to as a "Right to Work" state. Employers pretty much hold all the cards, up to and including that employees can pretty much be fired for anything.

However, according to the US Department of Labor:

"Retention of Tips: A tip is the sole property of the tipped employee regardless of whether the employer takes a tip credit. The FLSA prohibits any arrangement between the employer and the tipped employee whereby any part of the tip received becomes the property of the employer. For example, even where a tipped employee receives at least $7.25 per hour in wages directly from the employer, the employee may not be required to turn over his or her tips to the employer."

That's pretty straightforward.

And I don't believe for a second that any of those servers were making $14 an hour.
    The quote uses the word MAY and not WILL which leaves it up to interpretation or at least wishy-washy.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Focusing on the first sentence: "A tip is the sole property of the tipped employee . . . "

I read the part you bolded as meaning, "The employer may not require the employee to turn over tips . . . " In this case, "may" is the more formal word to use instead of "can" not. According to the Oxford dictionary, "The only difference between the two verbs is that one is more polite than the other. In informal contexts it’s perfectly acceptable to use can; in formal situations it would be better to use may."

In other words, the employer CAN NOT require the employee to turn over tips. At least, that's how I read it. YMMV.
    Punkin and Brooks like this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    She wasn't saying she had Tourettes, she was talking about how she would love to be ladylike but all the haters make her the way she is, to sound like she has Tourettes.

Obviously she knows nothing about Tourettes. It isn't constant swearing, it is tics. It shows up in different ways in different people. I know people that have to deal with it that comments like that offend them greatly. Not surprising from her, though. She is an offensive wench.

Tourettes my azz. She need not even go there. The only thing Amy has is the uncanny ability to keep flapping her gums, filling in any possible gap in conversation so that no one else can get a word in edgewise and tell her the truth. In other words as long as she keeps talking, no one else can. She's a hot mess.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

People use "Tourette's" like they use "psycho" and "bipolar." They're not literal descriptions of conditions, just idioms.

I'm no psychologist, but I'd bet that Amy has a personality disorder. A normal person wouldn't repeat the same behavior over and over while always blaming others. Nor would a normal person see herself mocked by millions of people and never think, "Maybe I'm the problem."

She's another one of those people who cause conflict, get a negative reaction, pretend to be a victim of the "haters," and then self-righteously fight to defend themselves against unfair attacks -- never acknowledging that they caused the furor. Some people create enemies so that they have someone to blame and never have to account for their own behavior. That's pretty much every reality TV villain you can think of as well as Sarah Palin.
    Punkin, CupidGuest, Brooks and 3 others like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    People use "Tourette's" like they use "psycho" and "bipolar." They're not literal descriptions of conditions, just idioms.

I'm no psychologist, but I'd bet that Amy has a personality disorder. A normal person wouldn't repeat the same behavior over and over while always blaming others. Nor would a normal person see herself mocked by millions of people and never think, "Maybe I'm the problem."

She's another one of those people who cause conflict, get a negative reaction, pretend to be a victim of the "haters," and then self-righteously fight to defend themselves against unfair attacks -- never acknowledging that they caused the furor. Some people create enemies so that they have someone to blame and never have to account for their own behavior. That's pretty much every reality TV villain you can think of as well as Sarah Palin.
    Yes, exactly. That is why I posted earlier that there just maybe something that is malfunctioning mentality for Amy.

My aging father came to BE LIKE THIS. It was just so odd that his behavior had changed. A battery of tests later and his SEROTONIN levels were all off wack. On Zoloff, my Dad is BACK and the best ever.

I wish Dr. Phil had offered to do testing on both of them.
    CupidGuest likes this.
    KAREN

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    I'm no psychologist, but I'd bet that Amy has a personality disorder.
    I'm no psychologist either, and obviously can't diagnose, but from what I know she seems histrionic, borderline, narcissistic, antisocial.... oh, one could go on.
    She's crazy.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    And I laughed out loud when Sammy said he paid them $8.00 - $14.00 an hour ........ ya, right. THAT I am so sure was a full blown LIE!!!!
    Surprised he ever paid them at all - after all he kept all the tips because according to him he did all the work and the waitresses did nothing.

What I do not understand is: the waitress in the 1st episode told Gordon she had several years experience as a waitress. And, from what was shown, she seemed pleasant and competent. So, why was she working there for no tips? Are waitress jobs in Scottsdale that hard to find?
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    What I do not understand is: the waitress in the 1st episode told Gordon she had several years experience as a waitress. And, from what was shown, she seemed pleasant and competent. So, why was she working there for no tips? Are waitress jobs in Scottsdale that hard to find?
    I was thinking the same.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread