+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Kitchen Nightmares

Re: Kitchen Nightmares

There is a huge chance this is indeed old; however, it just goes to show that the company is not against breaking the law and blacklisting folks.

A $250 fine for even a no call/no show on a holiday is ridiculous. Most sane folk would just fire them.

The 50 mile radius issue - violation of right to work IMHO. It's also tantamount to indentured servitude in a way (though admittedly the comment that any tips are the House's - which is illegal under federal law regardless - fits the indentured belief).

The restaurant is still open and I dare say that they have minions trying to talk down ANYONE who calls them out on their behavior and issues.

How do these people still find people to work for them is what I want to know? If they were the only place in town that had job openings I still wouldn't work there I would rather drive to the next town for work. I am beginning to wonder who is crazier?

Happy Thanksgiving! Passepartout's Avatar

Really would not want to work for employers that abuse people and use them in a awful way. Wonder why people would work for such a dictator like Ramsay himself?
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Passepartout View Post
    Really would not want to work for employers that abuse people and use them in a awful way. Wonder why people would work for such a dictator like Ramsay himself?
    Ramsay as far as "HK" is different though. Showed afterward by fills who saw the winners of previous seasons

Regardless I'd rather work for a rough guy who KNOWS how to cook than a happy who doesn't.
    bee stung lips likes this.

The culture in kitchens isn't like the culture of most work places. Especially ones that are serious about their food (like not Red Lobster etc.). There is a demand for a certain level of perfection and the pressure of a never ending line of customers as well as the high turn over your staff who may or may not be trained particularly well or who may not even really care because they aren't high paying jobs. Plus negotiating waitstaff. It involves lots of yelling. Lots of strong words. You'd be hardpressed to find a chef who hasn't spent time acting to a degree like Ramsey. It's not the industry you get into for the warm fuzzies. Nor if you're concerned about lewd language.

I remember watching my dad in kitchens growing up where yelling abounded just keeping people on track and lots of food went into the garbage that wasn't up to snuff. It's not so much hostile. It's more like a this needs to be done. It needs to be done right and it needs to be done right now get yourself together sort of discussion.

I'll take a yelling chef any day who I know cares about the food being sent out and the customers being served and who takes some pride in what is being put out there versus someone who will let the rest of the kitchen staff walk all over them and screw up the meal.
    Kip likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Yet another article. This one has a copy of the contract (it was from Nov 2012). And, if Amy can be believed, the show did help their business.

Gordon Ramsay's most difficult couple ever finally speak out on the death threats, the rows - and a scandal over unpaid tips: | Mail Online

...One good thing, Amy said, to come out of Kitchen Nightmares is that they are now bombarded by customers.

‘We have a different kind of clientele’, said Amy: ‘We’ve become a summer tourist attraction, we're humbled when people ask for pictures with us.

‘We’re printing T-shirts that say ‘I survived Amy’s Baking Company’, ‘Here’s your pizza, go f**k yourself’','I'm the Gangster, and' I speak Feline, MEOW!!' We’re making cherry lemonade out of lemons. Never in my life would I have thought the show would launch us into this kind of stratosphere.....

Amy says it was a lie about stealing tips:

On the verge of tears, Amy insisted: ‘My husband is a gentleman, he would never let a woman pay for anything if she was with him, he would rather cut his balls off than take money from any waitress or servers.

‘We never had a complaint in six years and we never took money from our servers.’

but then says:

‘In Europe they have a different tipping system, just as they do in China and Japan and many restaurants in New York are considering doing away with tipping completely.

However, Amy admitted: ‘Since the show, we recognise the outcry and now we’re giving the servers their tips. It would still work out in their favour to be be paid hourly, but now they’re guaranteed to make a minimum of $7.80 an hour and we make sure they go home with more than that, 100 per cent.'

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

‘In Europe they have a different tipping system, just as they do in China and Japan and many restaurants in New York are considering doing away with tipping completely.

However, Amy admitted: ‘Since the show, we recognise the outcry and now we’re giving the servers their tips. It would still work out in their favour to be be paid hourly, but now they’re guaranteed to make a minimum of $7.80 an hour and we make sure they go home with more than that, 100 per cent.'
    Amy - if your system wasn't broken, you would not have needed to fix it. Regardless of customs in other countries - and regardless of the fact that "Snottsdale" is different from many parts of this country, THIS is where you live. THESE are the customs you need to conform to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    (from article):
    ...One good thing, Amy said, to come out of Kitchen Nightmares is that they are now bombarded by customers.

‘We have a different kind of clientele’, said Amy: ‘We’ve become a summer tourist attraction, we're humbled when people ask for pictures with us.

I wonder if she realizes she's a tourist attraction only because folks want to see their egoistical attitude and possibly get yelled at.

They are honestly a curiosity right now, and curiosity is starting to turn into disinterest right now based on most main stream media.

‘We’re printing T-shirts that say ‘I survived Amy’s Baking Company’, ‘Here’s your pizza, go f**k yourself’','I'm the Gangster, and' I speak Feline, MEOW!!' We’re making cherry lemonade out of lemons. Never in my life would I have thought the show would launch us into this kind of stratosphere.....
    So much for being a classy diner then - NO PLACE I know of who has this type of decor and style food would have shirts that said such ugly sayings on them.

"I'm the Gangster" probably also will end up being up for a copyright lawsuit - you can bet someone will try it.

Amy says it was a lie about stealing tips:

On the verge of tears, Amy insisted: ‘My husband is a gentleman, he would never let a woman pay for anything if she was with him, he would rather cut his balls off than take money from any waitress or servers.

‘We never had a complaint in six years and we never took money from our servers.’

but then says:

If Samy is a gentleman, he shouldn't have taken the tips away with cameras rolling and then saying waitstaff didn't get the tips in front of Ramsay (methinks the IRS is auditing them when she says this comment about Samy).

And actually, she's distorting the facts about the restaurants in New York not allowing tipping.

• It is ONE sushi place
    • They get a much more livable wage than what Amy and Samy are giving their waitstaff:
    • They CLEARLY say that tipping is not allowed, and have a card that lists why.
    • Unlike with Amy and Samy, the waitstaff at the sushi place also get health benefits and the like.

And I say this given most of the waitstaff who have been brave enough to speak out against this couple said that they get $8/hour, which BTW is only 75 cents above the minimum wage nationally.

So it's gone down from $8-$12 to $7.80 (65 cents above minimum wage)?

Honestly... let's be real here, it does NOT work in the waitstaff's favor to work hourly.

Example, I worked in a summer theater production. I got a guaranteed $30/night (bear in mind, minimum wage was $5.25 at the time, and we averaged in my area a 5 hour night).

That said, I worked in the tours group as well for it, and any tips I was given I got to keep, so almost every other day I was making $50 a night (I got on average $20 per bus tour). Two times I made close to $125 a night. That's not including a few tips I got here and there for pushing wheelchairs to the theater, helping get stuff tables for those who needed assistance (wheelchairs, balance issues, children) and a few other things.

And the way Amy phrases giving them more than that - 100 percent makes one wonder if they're also cutting out more stuff in the checks than they're supposed to.

I'm sorry, it doesn't wash Amy - you know you're in major trouble now that the rules and regulations you force folks to sign is out there. Reviews I've read from reputable folks too (paid to do so) are also speaking unfavorably of your place.

It is only a matter of time before these folks realize that their days at this restaurant are numbered.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I think I've got hubby to a point where he's willing to go up there this weekend for lunch. Who wants to chip in for my t-shirt?
    sunnydayz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    In Europe they have a different tipping system, just as they do in China and Japan and many restaurants in New York are considering doing away with tipping completely.
    I can't say I'm an expert on tipping in China and New York, but I think I can weigh in on Japan and Europe. Tipping is customary and expected in Europe. That is to say that if you don't tip, you won't be crucified but servers still rely on tips to make ends meet. In my experience, good service is provided and good tips are rendered. Now Europe is a fairly big place with many customs, so maybe there is one place in Europe that Amy has been to or maybe even heard about where tipping is not allowed. Maybe her meals were included in the tour price, and maybe she thought the tips were too.

As for Japan, you will not find signs that say "no tips allowed" (you will find signs for just about everything else, which can be good sometimes), but servers will try to give you the money back if you leave it on the table (the level of honesty is shocking, but not everywhere in Japan) or assume you are bad at maths if you try to give them $60.00 for a dinner that cost $51.95. Why? I suppose every server has their own reasons. It's mostly because they think you've made a mistake, or that they are too proud to accept the gratuity. They may not want to take it because they don't want you, or anyone else who might witness the transaction to think of them as needy. As an example, I was once so overjoyed that I could successfully make a cash withdrawal on my foreign debit card (Visa card doesn't work in Japan, read the fine print), that I splurged on a very delicious lunch. I left a good tip for our server. When she tried to give the money back, my wife had to explain to her that it was a tip. She still had a weird look on her face, like she didn't know what to do with it. It probably went to the house.

Some places, like some bars work the tips into the price structure. Nomihodai, or all you can drink will charge you a fairly reasonable price to drink your face off. They don't expect to lose money, and they probably don't or they wouldn't do it. I haven't experience this one, but I think some restaurants also charge a table fee. I can't remember where I heard that, and I think only a few elite places do that.

Strip clubs (it's still relevant, bear with me) in Tokyo, as far as I've been told do not charge a nominal cover charge and then expect the patron to buy drinks and tip dancers and waitresses. Instead, a large fee is paid up front, and the drinks and dances are free. I would assume that the number of drinks is predetermined.

I had an uncle who worked at a fine restaurant in Canada. I was told (not by him) that he worked for tips. I took that to mean that he took what he could get and he got what he deserved. He made a living because he was good at his job. It wasn't a great living, but he made it work.

+ Reply to Thread