+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Kitchen Nightmares

Re: Kitchen Nightmares

I don't feel there is any possible way that all, or even some, of the desserts we saw at Amy's were made by her. Think about it for a minute, she does all the cooking in the kitchen (which involves a lot more time than just cooking items when the customers are there) and somehow has time to make these very intricate, layered, labor-intensive cakes and desserts. When I first saw the selection in the dessert case, my thought was, "those are exactly like the desserts we have here," meaning those sold in upscale bakeries or restaurants here in Los Angeles. It's not unusual for restaurants, and even bakeries, to buy products made elsewhere. It's cost effective and a time saver. Here in L.A., most of the bagels sold in neighborhood bakeries come from one large company near downtown. Baklava is another item usually purchased elsewhere. There isn't anything wrong with that, but credit should not be taken for making these items. In this case, however, we're dealing with two delusional and narcissitic angry people whose words means nothing.
    Kip, just1paul and bee stung lips like this.

Quote Originally Posted by annifran View Post
    I don't feel there is any possible way that all, or even some, of the desserts we saw at Amy's were made by her. Think about it for a minute, she does all the cooking in the kitchen (which involves a lot more time than just cooking items when the customers are there) and somehow has time to make these very intricate, layered, labor-intensive cakes and desserts. When I first saw the selection in the dessert case, my thought was, "those are exactly like the desserts we have here," meaning those sold in upscale bakeries or restaurants here in Los Angeles. It's not unusual for restaurants, and even bakeries, to buy products made elsewhere. It's cost effective and a time saver. Here in L.A., most of the bagels sold in neighborhood bakeries come from one large company near downtown. Baklava is another item usually purchased elsewhere. There isn't anything wrong with that, but credit should not be taken for making these items. In this case, however, we're dealing with two delusional and narcissitic angry people whose words means nothing.
    My very thoughts! How in that kitchen? All the more making my thinking tip towards a store front for some illegal activity.
    Punkin and bee stung lips like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by annifran View Post
    I've been saying this all along. 'Ain't no way she makes those desserts herself. No way in hell.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

There are rumors that she buys the cakes because her kitchen didn't look like a normal bakery with racks and all, and because its physically impossible for one person to do all the cooking and baking. I tend to believe that, if only because she was caught using frozen ravioli.
    just1paul and bee stung lips like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

My bet is that her definition of making things is different from other people's definition. Her definition is similar to being the person behind the Cheesecake Factory counter. They take the cake out of the box, cut it, add two things of wiped cream and/or some other garnish. Now she has made it. She probably justifies this by thinking things like that a professional chef doesn't make his own butter and things like that, they all use things bought from other places and assemble them together to make something. The difference being that when a professional chef asks if you make the ravioli in house you have to assume he talking about the pasta itself, not the fact that you made your own sauce and poured it on store bought pasta. Same thing goes for the cakes.

If someone asks do you make your own ravioli, they mean do you make the pasta yourself.
    If someone asks do you bake your own cakes, that doesn't mean unboxing, cutting and putting it on a plate.
    Last edited by marauder; 05-28-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    Punkin likes this.

What is sad is that even if she buys her cakes (and I agree it's most likely given the amount of perfect comparison photos she has been called out on using), and cooks stuff one at a time, the quality is hugely lacking.

I go back to Matador, Texas, a town with literally two restaurants. Both are extremely busy (particularly the one on the main road as it's about 60 miles either direction to the nearest restaurant on the road), but both are still very VERY good. Their problem only tends to be shortages here and there - but it's because they're popular dishes not because they simply don't have enough. Still chuckle at the waitress though who had to get money from the register to buy bread.

The other one was the same as Amy's here - only one cook on staff, and one waitress. Even though it too takes 45 minutes Place still is busy (not quite as much as the one on the road but still), but all three times I've eaten there I haven't complained about the food. They do charge a bit more than normal for a burger (about $5, then fries are $2.75) but you get a big fresh homemade burger with the trimmings (and cheeseburgers are the same price as a regular burger) and the fries basket is big enough to share between two people.

It's a shame that a town with less than 1,000 people in the entire county now can still make a better burger than this gal. Then again - they're smart enough to keep the menu small, make sure everything is fresh, and if they run out of something/are delayed, they are open and honest.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia View Post
    deportation? wow these two open a can of worms....I have a feeling her baking company won't be around much longer -- they did this to themselves.
    Exactly - and that's what bugs me about some of their fans elsewhere.

This couple CHOSE to be on the show - mostly because they said they wanted Ramsay to validate their views on the food,

They CHOSE to risk the ridicule and the like (and the contract would say what the show is called),

They CHOSE to be further scrutinized.

No one put a knife to their throats and forced them to sign anything.

So - they will reap what they sow, and unfortunately from what I've been reading, they haven't learned their lessons from being on the show. There may be times where people say this show and others are faked, but honestly, I doubt it this go.

Why? - because of many reasons, but there was obviously a lot of footage of the two blowing up - if it were a short thing, it wouldn't be the main focus of the story.

And Ramsay's voice when he told the couple that he had given up on them, you really can detect a genuine sadness in his voice when he says his denouement. While no, not all the restaurants he helps succeed, he does give them a fighting chance. Add to it the PR group gave up on this couple - it won't be around much longer. And as mentioned they did it to themselves.

FORT Fan

There's a new story out about an AZ reporter who went to Amy's last Friday night with a few friends, to check the place out after their "re-launch." Supposedly they were served a martini with a fruit fly in it, not once, but THREE times...sending the first two back. After the third complaint, Amy's hubby apparently kicked them out of the restaurant. I can't imagine this place will be open much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    There's a new story out about an AZ reporter who went to Amy's last Friday night with a few friends, to check the place out after their "re-launch." Supposedly they were served a martini with a fruit fly in it, not once, but THREE times...sending the first two back. After the third complaint, Amy's hubby apparently kicked them out of the restaurant. I can't imagine this place will be open much longer.
    They also were served the drink without ice, but at least they didn't get literal rocks when the person ordered a Vodka on rocks with a twist of lemon.

Now, I will admit that there is always the chance for flies in food - variety of reasons - there is something off when it's in vodka, which means that it wasn't sealed properly or - if the lemons, they weren't washed. If it's the latter, they're in violation of health code, which would be ironic given Ramsay said the kitchen was one of the cleanest he's ever seen.

Then telling the folks to get out for complaining about it instead of trying to make it right or offer something else... that costs you money.

I did read too that the media was actually DENIED access to the re-opening. Several had their reservations cancelled, one case they even found a way to get around it (and I don't blame them). It was contrived to appear to be something that more and more people are verifying wasn't.

They will be lucky if they're in business through the end of the Summer, but I give them less time when they treat reporters and food critics like they did in the fruit fly case.

I don't watch cooking shows as a rule and have only seen Chef Gordon on previews for "Hell's Kitchen" and didn't like him much from what I saw. So I'd never have discovered "Kitchen Nightmares" had not this bozo couple stirred up such a firestorm a few weeks ago. I watched it and couldn't believe it! I came away with a different opinion of Ramsey though, and have found 2 Seasons of "KN" on Netflix. I'm up to episode 36 and really love the Chef! He really does care to give the owners and chefs the tools and information they need to save their restaurants. Usually even the most stubborn will come around in the end and give their business a fighting chance. A pretty humbling experience for many of them. I like the "fix-it" shows like Tabatha and Bar Rescue, so this is now on my DVR. (Any other good "fix-it" shows out there? I'll happily take recommendations!)

So, this 'failure' of Ramsey's has made a fan of me and given his show great exposure thanks to these two nut cases. I'd love to see Sami deported and Amy can take her God Given talents to the Holy Land.

+ Reply to Thread