+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Heavy (A&E)

It's on Monday nights, I don't think there's a thread yet. The first episode was last night, I just watched it on DVR. Anybody else watching?

This show follows super-heavy people in a quest to lose weight and get healthy. The first episode featured Tom, who weighed well over 600 pounds and Jodi, who weighed in the range of 380. No prizes, no competiton involved but they teamed up and attended a live-in wellness program for a month and their progress was documented after they returned home for another 5 months. They both made tremendous progress.

This show is interesting because it really focuses on over-eating in terms of it being an addiction.

Re: Heavy (A&E)

I watched the first one tonight (DVR'd) and really enjoyed it. It really made me realize how very complicated it is for these people to become so obese. For the woman, it involved issues with her not-so-nice mother, her husband and her desire to sing with her brothers' band.
    The young man didn't realize how much his family and friends played a part in his overeating. It's entirely possible there's even more issues that they had time to show us.

I love the relationship that developed between the two trying to lose the weight and also the attitude of their trainers.
    So often we forget that it isn't just simply a matter of eating too much. There's so much more to why it happens. I also think a person's body chemistry plays a big part in it also even though that wasn't mentioned.
    Bottom line, I thought this was a good show with no screaming trainers, no elimination rounds, no humiliation.
    I'll be watching more.

I wanted to watch this show, but totally forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder! I watched it this evening on OnDemand and really enjoyed it. I liked being able to see the progress within an hour rather than over 4 months.

I hope there's some sort of follow up episode where we see how everyone is doing today.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4153617;
    I hope there's some sort of follow up episode where we see how everyone is doing today.
    After the episode, I was really hoping they do this as well.

I watched the show and really enjoyed it. Like others have said, I liked it because it was more real. It was not a competition, it was people living in their stressful lives battling weight loss. I really liked it and have set my DVR to catch the upcoming episodes.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

First episode was special for me because the young woman reminded me of a good friend . . . in many ways (overweight, health problems, highly emotional, unbearable mother, unsupportive husband, etc.....)

Shows when you've hit bottom, there's no where to go but up.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;4153769;
    After the episode, I was really hoping they do this as well.

I watched the show and really enjoyed it. Like others have said, I liked it because it was more real. It was not a competition, it was people living in their stressful lives battling weight loss. I really liked it and have set my DVR to catch the upcoming episodes.
    That's what I liked about it too. It showed how hard it really is and how easy it is for people to fall back into the same routine. I hope that the man in the first episode kept losing weight, but it didn't seem like his brothers were helping him much. They really needed to be more supportive.

I'm glad that woman gave her mother the boot and is working on her marriage. I'm shocked that she had to gain that much weight - did she say over 100 lbs since her mother moved in? - for her to kick her mother out.

I liked all the trainers too. Nice not to hear people yelling in the gym and being nothing but supportive. I fear Biggest Loser has become more about the competition. This show is all about these people getting healthy.

Lymphedema is one scary disease. I worked with a woman who had it, but it wasn't as severe as we saw on this show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I watched the show and thought it was really interesting. I would like to see more about the mental rehabilitation that goes on. It is quite clear that weight problems like these have a lot to do with using food for emotional comfort, and not just a matter of people who don't have enough will-power. You don't lose your life, like they had, over food unless there are deep emotional issues compelling you to keep eating.

Watching the show, I was once again reminded of the fact that men lose weight faster and at greater amounts than women. I learned that fact long ago when my husband and I had a competition on who'd lose more weight faster and, of course, I lost. Hardly seems fair but just a fact of physiology.

I liked it but I didn't much care for the female trainer (though she had a very impressive set of guns ). I thought she was an odd choice for TV - she was as bland as white bread and had the personality of it as well.

I was quite fond of Tom by the end of the show - he seemed like a lovely person, fingers crossed he can succeed on his own. I also hope to see some follow-ups, like they've done with some of the Intervention addicts.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I DVRed the show and got the chance to watch it tonight. I really enjoyed it and will continue to watch.

I liked Tom, too. I think he seemed to have a great spirit and a kind personality. I hope he can continue his journey.
    Wake up and be awesome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast