+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 116

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

  1. #81
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    FYI

    Hilton Head Health Weight Loss Spa Hosts Heavy on A&E, More Than a Fat Camp!

    Altogether 22 participants in season 1 of Heavy. 6 episodes were filmed at H3, also known as Hilton Head Health.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  2. #82
    FORT Fogey Tobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,244

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    I have known people that have refinanced their house, taken out huge loans and even had family members pool money to help to pay for them going to a place like this. Fat people are in total desperation and everyone knows it especially the snake oil salesman. Some places are truly sincere but like most desperate people the obese will do anything in their power to change. The one thing that does not seem to be in their power is to keep from over eating. Every day best of intentions then fail... I feel very sorry for them, I know they don't want to be like that.

  3. #83
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    I have known people that have refinanced their house, taken out huge loans and even had family members pool money to help to pay for them going to a place like this. Fat people are in total desperation and everyone knows it especially the snake oil salesman. Some places are truly sincere but like most desperate people the obese will do anything in their power to change. The one thing that does not seem to be in their power is to keep from over eating. Every day best of intentions then fail... I feel very sorry for them, I know they don't want to be like that.
    It's finding the reason why you overeat that is the hardest (emotional) part. Going on a diet, sticking to an exercise program is the easy part. Losing the weight can be easy. It's maintaining and keeping it off that is hard and you need to know what your emotional triggers are so when they occur you realize it and you can stop yourself from going to food for comfort and do something else.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  4. #84
    26.2, baby! Allie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washington state
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,683

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    It's finding the reason why you overeat that is the hardest (emotional) part. Going on a diet, sticking to an exercise program is the easy part. Losing the weight can be easy. It's maintaining and keeping it off that is hard and you need to know what your emotional triggers are so when they occur you realize it and you can stop yourself from going to food for comfort and do something else.
    Yup. I still struggle with it.

  5. #85
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Yup. I still struggle with it.
    Me, too.
    I don't eat too much because of emotional reasons. I gain weight because I like fattening food best and am not an active person. And as I age, my metabolism slows down even more. I've just learned to eat a lot less than I used to. It's hard at first until your stomach decreses in capacity.
    I could exercise more but I don't or I can eat less. I think most of us are so used to having plenitful food that we gradually tend to eat more and more because it's so available, not to mention, how good it tastes!!

  6. #86
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Me, too.
    I don't eat too much because of emotional reasons. I gain weight because I like fattening food best and am not an active person. And as I age, my metabolism slows down even more. I've just learned to eat a lot less than I used to. It's hard at first until your stomach decreses in capacity.
    I could exercise more but I don't or I can eat less. I think most of us are so used to having plenitful food that we gradually tend to eat more and more because it's so available, not to mention, how good it tastes!!
    In last week show the one trainer told the one female that it is easier to eat 500 fewer calories then to exercise it off.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #87
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Maybe an answer:

    Heavy - About - A&E TV



    Two production companies would explain the two different locations.

    Also, Heavy is casting for new participants. Check out the website.
    That explains a lot. I felt like I was watching two different shows. I don't remember the first half of the season having a big "reveal" at the end with a big welcome-home celebration.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

  8. #88
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,139

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    I'm watching the Johnny/Jill episode right now and OMG, is Jill in denial! They find peanut butter squirreled away in her closet, but she wasn't hiding it? What is with hiding the food!? It's really hard to watch someone who is so deep in denial about her behavior. She keeps claiming she won't do that when she goes home, but if she's doing it at an elite health center/spa, she'll do it anywhere.

    ETA: Okay, WTH? After Jill's final weigh in, they flash that update saying that Jill is still just above the weight her doctor wanted her to be at and then it says "they will need her doctor's approval before her and Clint and start trying." Are they kidding!? Who is writing this stuff? Jeez, not to be the grammar police or anything, but I'd expect more from A&E. Good grief.
    Last edited by Critical; 03-02-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #89
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    I enjoyed the episode with Johnny and Jill, especially Johnny. At first, I thought he'd be the one to struggle and resist the most. I was wrong and wow! didn't he look wonderful at the end?!! He seemed like he was re-born and given a whole new life. So great to see all of his family there, particularly the bio ones.
    Jill was extremely resistant in so many ways. Guess it just took her longer to understand what all it took (discipline, hard work, leaving your family).

    I have so much admiration for these people, staying with such a difficult program. This is one of the very best weight loss shows I've seen.

  10. #90
    FORT Fogey Minney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,443

    Re: Heavy (A&E)

    Not sure I fully understand why Jill would need a doctors approval to begin attempting to conceive, unless they know they will need medical intervention to become pregnant. Last I knew couples didn't need dr approval to "start" a family! Jills closet eating will continue to be an issue for her since she was so in denial. She admitted at home pre-HH that she hid food in her closet, so her old habits followed her into treatment. I wish her the best though and hope she can overcome this addiction and have the family she dreams of.

    Johnny was just adorable and grew so much emotionally--I want to adopt him! He faced his demons and hopefully will continue on this journey to a happy and healthy life. Very proud of all his accomplishments during the 6 months.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.