+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Re: Heavy (A&E)

Feb 21, 2011

Only caught a bit of the show but this time it is at a new facility, the Hilton Head Island and both people are there for 6 months. The guy lost 172 lbs and the lady 132lbs. Had a bit of an issue with the guy saying he lost 180lbs. It was a 172.6 dufus not 180.

New trainers also.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

New trainers? I was just starting to like the old ones!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    New trainers? I was just starting to like the old ones!
    Me, too! I especially liked the man-trainer,(only because he was more vocal that the woman and I got more of who he was.)
    Haven't watched this one yet (but it's recorded).
    I do wish they would address the fact that men lose weight faster than women due to biology only since they always seem to pair up men and women. I know it must be hard to watch your partner lose more even though you're doing the same thing. It's not fair but it's reality.

I wonder why they made a change in location this far into the show. It seems like they took more of a team approach with these two. They lost more than any other pair on the show so far (I think), probably because they stayed at the facility, but I wonder if it'll be harder for them to adapt to life at home. It looks like next week's episode was shot at Hilton Head as well.

I have to wonder if Debbie has sexual abuse in her past. That's sometimes the cause of really dramatic weight gain starting when she began gaining. That could completely NOT be the case, and it stinks that that's what I think of, but it's such a common story, I can't help but wonder.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I do like that the staff had a life coach and a therapist and that the staff is trying to get to the underlying issues as to why people gain weight. Best quote, "you know how to lose the weight but you know @#$% about keeping it off". Hope I got the wording right. Luv'd, luv'd, luv'd that Ronnie's fiance and the life coach got Ronnie to go to the therapist despite his "I don't have issues" statement. Yeah, we all gain 200+ pounds cause we all don't got issues. Please.

Still I hope their is some kind of outreach program to follow both Ronnie and Debbie for another 6 months while they are at home, because despite their tremendous success at Hilton Head Health both still need to lose at home and maintain at home. Much luv and blessings on them both in their journey.

Take that Biggest Loser, others can do it to without the yelling and drama and they can do in an hour and not a 20 episode season.

I really enjoy this show! More than the Biggest Loser which I have practically stopped watching. You get so invested in the 2 people, and want them to do well.

I was thinking, WTF?? Why the new location? New trainers? And spending the entire 6 months at the facility? It hardly seems fair to the other pairs who only got a month.

Ronnie's fiance was the most likeable person on last night's show. Got nothin' from the new trainers - that "Beverly Perfect" looked like a throwback to the Jane Fonda workout vid days. Debbie was tiresome and announcing your 40-something virginity on TV qualifies as over-sharing, even for a reality show. I was displeased, overall. I want David back, and I'd take Britny over those other trainers as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ouch, Hilton Head Health is expensive: Weight Loss Spa - View Rates for Our Weight Loss Programs

$12,000 for a 28 day stay. Either Ronnie and Debbie have really good insurance or the producers cut some kind of deal with facility for publicity or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Ouch, Hilton Head Health is expensive: Weight Loss Spa - View Rates for Our Weight Loss Programs

$12,000 for a 28 day stay. Either Ronnie and Debbie have really good insurance or the producers cut some kind of deal with facility for publicity or something.
    I'll bet it's the latter. I'm sure there are still people who can afford to pay that, but not as many as maybe a few years ago. Exposure on a show like this may bring in more people.

I do wonder why they seem to have changed everything mid-stream here. As AJane said, it doesn't seem quite fair to let these people (and presumably those that follow) stay at the facility for a full 6 months when the others had to go home after a month.

Maybe an answer:

Heavy - About - A&E TV

A&E’s docudrama Heavy follows twenty-two individuals facing extreme life-threatening health consequences as a result of their obesity. The one-hour series follows two participants per episode documenting their incredible transformations during a six month treatment program.

Unlike other weight loss series, “Heavy” is not a competition or stunt, but is rooted in the incredible real life day-to-day journeys of the participants during a lengthy treatment program. In order to most accurately document these multiple weight loss journeys over the course of six months and present them individually in one hour, A&E sought out two different production companies to undertake the lengthy and ambitious filming process. The result is a never-before-seen look at the unique struggles faced by dangerously obese individuals who must learn to live healthier lifestyles and understand the root of their food addictions. Through their day-to-day struggle and the voices of their loved ones, viewers will see first hand the pain and self-doubt associated with a debilitating weight problem.
    Two production companies would explain the two different locations.

Also, Heavy is casting for new participants. Check out the website.

+ Reply to Thread