+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Re: Heavy (A&E)

One of the things I like about this show is that they present really, really overweight people who have a long and hard road to contend with; people who have indulged for a long time so it's no easy task.

- I like that they show others that no matter how much you have to lose, it can be done.
    - I like that they are people who are finally convinced that they must do something immediately so that they don't die... Lots of emphasis on being healthy rather than looking good.
    - I like that they focus on the emotional aspects of overeating. It's not just a "bad habit" but something deeper that needs addressing in order to lose the weight and keep it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady;4189357;
    One of the things I like about this show is that they present really, really overweight people who have a long and hard road to contend with; people who have indulged for a long time so it's no easy task.

- I like that they show others that no matter how much you have to lose, it can be done.
    - I like that they are people who are finally convinced that they must do something immediately so that they don't die... Lots of emphasis on being healthy rather than looking good.
    - I like that they focus on the emotional aspects of overeating. It's not just a "bad habit" but something deeper that needs addressing in order to lose the weight and keep it off.
    While I have read that there is some support for the Biggest Loser contestants during the length of the show I don't think this aspect if addressed enough and is one reason why some of the BL participants gain all their weight back. I do hope their is a "where are they now" epsiode for this series as this show does reflect more real life issues than the other weight loss shows.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4189564;
    While I have read that there is some support for the Biggest Loser contestants during the length of the show I don't think this aspect if addressed enough and is one reason why some of the BL participants gain all their weight back. I do hope their is a "where are they now" epsiode for this series as this show does reflect more real life issues than the other weight loss shows.
    Yes.
    I have always believed that there is a mind/body connection for many overweight people and it's not just a matter of eating less. Even doctors are aware of the placebo effect with patients. So if people can heal with a placebo, they could certainly gain or lose weight just because of what is in their head/mind.

There are a lot of people who really don't eat a lot but can't lose weight. I don't believe they are lying but I believe that the mind-component is far more powerful than it is given credit for.
    I think there is a mind/body connection for a lot of illnesses and things that happen to us. It's just not been proven yet and who knows if it ever will be.
    This is the first show that seems to even slightly address that.

Yep it's that emotional eating component that usually is not addressed in these types of shows. While we all need exercise for health, if the reasons for the over eating and food addiction isn't confronted nothing will really change in the long run for people suffering with obesity or any food/eating disorder. I actually wish they showed more of the counseling sessions (not necessarily the persons personal baggage but the doctors advice) since many of us viewing could gain insight from hearing it. Many trainers don't begin to understand what a person is going through emotionally/mentally--they just assume the overweight person is lazy... and working out will solve the worlds problems.

There was a similar issue on this weeks "I Used To Be Fat" where Kirsten had a lot of negative self talk and no self confidence. It really took the 6 months of filming to see that small kernel of self confidence and self love show. I think that is the reason many people fail the diet component of a lifestyle change, the negative self talk. In one part that is why people need trainers and therapists because they are outside our heads and can see changes in ourselves that we are blind too.

I guess there was bound to be a failure eventually. Last night was disappointing. Sometimes you can hand people all the help possible (on a silver platter) and they still don't see the worth. Hope Kevin can turn things around...and I really hope A&E is planning on giving us an update show on all the participants once they air all the stories.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4194814;
    I guess there was bound to be a failure eventually. Last night was disappointing. Sometimes you can hand people all the help possible (on a silver platter) and they still don't see the worth. Hope Kevin can turn things around...and I really hope A&E is planning on giving us an update show on all the participants once they air all the stories.
    As if Kevin's way was so successful. Sorry for being so snarky but to see Kevin lose over a hundred 100lbs get under 500 and yet in the last month of the program gain 17lbs, it was painful and so, so, so sad and frustrating then I got so mad and him wasting the opportunity that I could have kicked him. But an addict usually has to go to rehab several times before that magic "it" kicks in and he gets "it". But on the other hand Flor made me smile. I totally luv how she is getting her family involved. She is not only saving herself but her hubby and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    As if Kevin's way was so successful. Sorry for being so snarky but to see Kevin lose over a hundred 100lbs get under 500 and yet in the last month of the program gain 17lbs, it was painful and so, so, so sad and frustrating then I got so mad and him wasting the opportunity that I could have kicked him. But an addict usually has to go to rehab several times before that magic "it" kicks in and he gets "it". But on the other hand Flor made me smile. I totally luv how she is getting her family involved. She is not only saving herself but her hubby and kids.
    It was definitely frustrating to watch Kevin continue to justify his weight gain Either the food wasn't his or the humidity can cause weight fluctuations, etc., etc., ... I hope he gets it together and keeps losing, because he's really at risk.

I would think that being a h.s. coach would give him great access to exercise equipment and opportunities to just MOVE. What's to stop him from doing jumping jacks, wind sprints and anything else with the kids he coaches?

I was really proud of Flor. Funny that she was the one of the family who went on the show - he husband is much heavier than she is. I hope that she can keep her husband and kids involved and working out and eating healthy. It would be good for all of them AND it would help her keep it up. I loved that she shaved her head! "G.I. Flor"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    You are so correct that addicts usually need rehab a few times before it kicks in... food addicts are NO different yet we think it should be so easy for them to change overnight. The body wants what the body wants! I LOVED Flor and you could tell she "got" it when she chose a movie over a phone call home. The giving of yourself until you are no longer yourself, is a huge issue for many women. Yet, once there's nothing left to give you are lost. Flor did awesome by putting herself first and also by making her family get moving and healthy too. I'd think she has the biggest chance of being successful in the long run of any other participant so far. Kevin needs to get his family on board.

I'd like to see more on the nutrition/food prep side to this show and not just more working out and exercise. Also, some family dietian visits and consults too. Most of these guys don't necessarily shop or cook for themselves--the whole family needs to make the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Minney View Post
    You are so correct that addicts usually need rehab a few times before it kicks in... food addicts are NO different yet we think it should be so easy for them to change overnight. The body wants what the body wants! I LOVED Flor and you could tell she "got" it when she chose a movie over a phone call home. The giving of yourself until you are no longer yourself, is a huge issue for many women. Yet, once there's nothing left to give you are lost. Flor did awesome by putting herself first and also by making her family get moving and healthy too. I'd think she has the biggest chance of being successful in the long run of any other participant so far. Kevin needs to get his family on board.
    I agree about Flor, but I also think her family has needed this more than any other family we've seen. ALL of them are obese and her husband is morbidly obese. Although many of the families have shown some resistance to the dietary changes, Flor's family seems to need them more than most. Kevin's family was heavy too, but not like Flor's.

I'd like to see more on the nutrition/food prep side to this show and not just more working out and exercise. Also, some family dietian visits and consults too. Most of these guys don't necessarily shop or cook for themselves--the whole family needs to make the changes.
    I agree. We've only seen a visit to the grocery store with the nutritionist and that hasn't been in every episode. It doesn't mean they aren't doing it with every person, but I think they need to show some interaction with her in every episode. I think having the nutritionist do a home visit with every family - or at least some of them (and knowing that she does it off camera with every family) - would be helpful. It seems like some of the families just don't know that healthy food can actually taste good. The nutritionist cooking them a healthy meal might open their eyes a little.

This show definitely points out the need for MORE than just diet and exercise to help people who are morbidly obese. If it was JUST about eating less and exercising, it would be easier. I'm glad they have them meeting with a psychologist, but I wish they'd pay for that after they leave the facility like they do with the personal trainer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread