+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Re: Heavy (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4175022;
    Sharon looked so much smaller in the after picture they showed. I wondered if she had surgery to remove loose skin from her stomach. She seemed MUCH smaller there.
    I just finished watching and, Critical, I wondered the exact same thing. It looked like there had to have been surgery, but why wouldn't they mention it? They've mentioned it on other episodes.

Great show tonight, it just keeps getting better. Ashley and Sharon looked so transformed at the end and they seemed healthier mentally and physically.

Anybody know where this is filmed or what the facility is where they spend the first 30 days? I think I saw something about Texas on Ashley's truck.

I'm really enjoying this show. The last episode with the two women was so good. Very impressed with the determination both of these women had. The show gives us exactly what we want to see without dragging it out to where it becomes boring or repetative.
    I also think the older woman, Sharon, must have had surgery to remove excess skin. You would think she would have to, given how large her mid section was.

I will have to tune in. I lost a lot of weight several years ago and have recently started to put it back on and feel so lost. It's painful to even think about gaining the weight back. I was thin most of my life but just suddenly put on a huge amount of weight, lost it after a long ordeal and then lately seem to be going in the wrong direction again. I did have a tummy tuck, most wonderful thing in the world. I really could have skipped it as it wasn't that bad but it was so fun having a flat stomach like a teenager. They pulled it so tight that even though I lost a lot of weight after the tuck it was still tight. Sometimes people need to have it done as it's just so nasty to have extra skin and some people really have a problem with rash and all of that kind of thing. I never had that, just more of a pot belly but some people have serious sanitary issues that make having it sooner rather than later a must. It is also the most encouraging thing to have it done. Being able to tie your shoes without a bulge to work around is terrific. I wouldn't want to go back to those days. I still need to lose about 20 plus pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4180347;
    Sometimes people need to have it done as it's just so nasty to have extra skin and some people really have a problem with rash and all of that kind of thing. I never had that, just more of a pot belly but some people have serious sanitary issues that make having it sooner rather than later a must. It is also the most encouraging thing to have it done. Being able to tie your shoes without a bulge to work around is terrific.
    I never thought about it that way until I read your post. Even if it's not a huge amount that needs removing, certain amounts could make life unpleasant. Just having to "tuck in" the extra skin into pants would be hard, not to mention, like you did, if skin is laying on skin, irritations, infections, fungus can all grow and cause serious problems.
    Thanks for helping me understand better.

I really like this show. It shows the emotional addiction overweight people have for food. That is the main struggle. I do agree with other posters that I wish they would show more of the nutritional education they receive and not focus so much on the exercise. I'm impressed they have added the counceling portion since that is what most of these people are up against to actually lose and maintain. Emotional overeating is an addiction and needs to be treated as such. These people are very brave and courageous to face these issues and the payoffs are huge!

Watching this week's episode, I wondered what criteria they used to pair the people off. Last week's pair seemed really well matched and they had a great relationship. This week, I don't think they were hardly in the same room together. It was kind of strange, especially when the pair last week were SO close.

The woman who had gained all the weight after her divorce and losing her kids is my pick for not keeping the weight off. She seemed very eager to drop the diet for any occasion. Yes, I know you need - theoretically, at least - to taste wedding cakes for your own wedding, but she was really digging in. If she had such little weight loss that week after working out 5 or 6 hours a day, she's got no hope of keeping it off IRL when you just don't have time to work out that much.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I thought Lindy had a bad attitude. I understand that it must have seemed difficult and overwhelming, but she just wasn't a great sport about it. I didn't root for her as much as all the others that have been on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4186822;
    Watching this week's episode, I wondered what criteria they used to pair the people off. Last week's pair seemed really well matched and they had a great relationship. This week, I don't think they were hardly in the same room together. It was kind of strange, especially when the pair last week were SO close.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. The other pairs seemed to be very compatible but not these two and maybe that's why we saw so little of them together. Although I do think Lindy was a rather prickly person to know.
    I don't have great hopes for her keeping the weight off. I see too much unresolved anger in her still.

wow, Lindy used to weight between 130 - 140 and after she got divorced and the custody battle she gained 175lbs, yet she manages to have a fiance that cares for her?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Comments on the Lindy and Travis episode shown February 7, 2011

At first it is hard to watch this show because of all the negativity, and the excuses, and excuses, and excuses. Then what happened both Lindy and Travis seemed to have a bit of a personality transformation. They can actually be happy and positive. I honestly didn't think either would be that successful after watching them for the first half of this episode. Still, while the majority of the show is done in the real world I am surprised that Lindy managed to find time in the 5 months she was at home to plan a wedding, get a tummy tuck and workout 4 hours a day. Seriously, having a tummy tuck after only losing 40 or so pounds when she need to lose a total of about 140lbs? Seems a bit premature. I do think both Travis and Lindy had major problems sticking to the diet. I do think that is why Lindy did so much exercise, to compensate for her eating/cheating. Still it makes you wonder at the intensity she worked out at and the length of time if she had committed to the food plan she could have lost 130lbs. By cheating on her food plan she only cheated herself. But it also shows that both she and Travis could have spent some time with Doctor Drew Pinsky over at Celebrity Rehab.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread