+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Re: Heavy (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4163246;
    Have only ever watch snippets of Biggest Loser. I like Heavy better because . . . these people are truly in a battle to lose weight. They are their own worst enemy. Why complicate things and add in a competitiveness?

The trainer - David Richardson - is one fine looking man. Seems all tough on the outside, but I'm betting he's got a big heart and is cupcake soft inside!
    I did like that they showed even almost 5 months the female was still breaking down and having emotional moments. She didn't even need Jillian yelling at her to tear up. I think she had so much emotional crap tied up in her weight that it was almost like watching her lose that emotional hurt as well as the physical weight.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I do really like the trainers on Heavy. They have a gentler way about them that is very encouraging and motivating...

It seems like the show might need more education & preparation on the food side. IMO, 80-90% of weight loss comes from the food choices. I haven't really seen much focus on the food side. It would even be worthwhile to set them up with meal delivery to make this easy, from diettogo.com or something similar. Maybe a week's class on shopping and cooking healthy foods? Something to make the transition back home easier.

Weight loss is so personal. You can only do it when YOU decide to go for it. I love that there is no element of competition in Heavy because it's struggle enough already. Also that the Buddy is there for support & as a friend. On both episodes they really seemed they would be friends supporting each other long after the show.

Great episode tonight. Rickywayne's progress was fantastic.

I liked Rickywayne a lot. It was great to see him coming out of his shell by the end of the show. I liked his new hair, too.

I did wonder why Jessica opted for the skin removal when she still had a fair bit of weight to lose. Why wouldn't she wait till she was at her goal weight? Won't she have to have another surgery if she continues to lose?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Count me in as someone who would also like to see more food education. I would like to see more of the people learning to prepare healthy meals and make healthy choices while out to eat and stuff. I'm really liking this show though.
    Wake up and be awesome

The food part has always been my problem. Yes, I can read labels but I want to be able to put a breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks together. That way I know what is going in body vs just nuking a Lean Cuisine or stopping by at Starbucks.

I want to be able to put together a nice breakfast at work using the microwave, traffic being what it is around here that makes the most sense. Anyone have any luck with any gadgets that supposedly poach or boil eggs?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I boil several eggs at a time and just keep them in the fridge for a quick breakfast.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

When I worked in an office, I just did oatmeal with dried fruit in a coffee cup. All you need is hot water, and oatmeal is really filling. You can cook scrambled eggs in the microwave very easily. Just mix them up in the container and nuke 'em. It's been ages since I've done it, so I don't remember how long you need to cook them, but there's probably some info about that online. I always liked the eggs in the microwave. They're nice and fluffy.

I finally watched this last episode and WOW, 555 lbs. Rickywayne has so far to go. I was surprised that Jessica's doctor would remove that excess skin so early in her weight loss. It seems like she'll need another procedure in the future, since she's probably only half way to her goal weight.

I'm always struck by how VERY unsupportive the family and friends are on almost all of these weight loss shows. I know that people have trouble with change, but good grief, you'd think they'd want to help a loved one make changes so they can avoid dying young.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;4165311;
    Count me in as someone who would also like to see more food education. I would like to see more of the people learning to prepare healthy meals and make healthy choices while out to eat and stuff. I'm really liking this show though.
    Maybe teaching people how to navigate through the minefield known as the supermarket would be educational for everyone from the participant to the viewer. Teaching people to ignore adverstisemt claims that such and such a food is `healthy.' Even buying a loaf of bread can be a nightmare- just because something is wholegrain doesn't mean it's necessarily healthy for you.
    Throw in navigating the menus in restaraunts. I mean, people have to live their everyday lives- they can't just sit at home 365 days out of the year living in a controlled environemnt.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Wow, what amazing success stories on last night's show! I think this was my favourite episode to date. The way the 2 women bonded, and their determination...really inspiring. I didn't think Sharon was going to succeed but clearly, she's a lot tougher than she appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4174901;
    Wow, what amazing success stories on last night's show! I think this was my favourite episode to date. The way the 2 women bonded, and their determination...really inspiring. I didn't think Sharon was going to succeed but clearly, she's a lot tougher than she appeared.
    I really enjoyed this episode too, AJane! This was the first episode where I could really see that they had a real chance to make it.

I was really impressed with Ashley's determination and how she worked so hard to change her environment and situation. Nice friends and family she has, huh? Aside from her sister, it didn't seem like she had much support. I hope she finds a group of friends whose entire reason for existence isn't going out and drinking.

Sharon looked so much smaller in the after picture they showed. I wondered if she had surgery to remove loose skin from her stomach. She seemed MUCH smaller there.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread