+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Re: Heavy (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4158474;
    BTW, I like this show so much more than Biggest Loser. Biggest Loser is such a controlled atmosphere-it seems like it's designed for failure once you return to the real world. This show explores the realities and the reasons and the frustrations and provides honest, real world solutions. The only reward Heavy promises, is a healthier and longer life. No games or scheming.
    You know, that is exactly what I see in the previews for the Biggest Loser. Real life is so damned complicated, and weight loss issues even more so. The thing about morbid obesity and weight loss is how tangled and confusing it gets. Was there any reason in reality, for my coworkers to decide to play "food police", to monitor and comment on my every bite? Did I truly need the world to tell me that 350 pounds was NOT good? I had a great deal of intellectual understanding of obesity and how to lose weight. But if I was depressed, would that stop me from reaching for foods that were not good for me? Of course you guys know the answer to that.

Dragonlady....thank you for the kudo's after weight loss surgery.....people forget that bariatric surgery is not an magic wand for weight loss. It makes it easier in some ways, but, I still have to address the behavior that put me there in the first place. I'm lucky, my doctor recommended the surgery, did a lot of follow up with me through counseling and lab test for my health issues. When I hit menopause about four years after the surgery, I gained back to 229. I made up my mind that I would not allow my weight to get any higher. I have used small goals....under 225, under 220, under 215, etc. and now? Well I finally broke my long plateau of weighing 200....and now I have been at 194 for five weeks. Another 19 pounds and I will be at the same weight I was one year out of surgery. Another 24 pounds, and I will be at my lowest adult weight....and I'm 57 years old!

Anyway....my point is that a reality show that wants to be REAL about weight loss won't be one that plays the sort of mind games that the Biggest Loser seems to thrive on.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Jazzie
    , that's really impressive! Like so many, I've struggled with weight all my life also so I understand that it's not easy.
    I had heard that some of the physical complications and side effects after the surgery were really hard to endure. I can only imagine.
    Thanks for all you told us as it makes it easier to understand.

I like "Heavy" better than Biggest Loser also and I think it's because there's a undercurrent of "mean-ness" and shame on BL, which does produce results. But I think it takes a special person like you to do the "Heavy" method, who has really decided to do the work and in the long run, probably has more lasting effects than being "shamed" into it.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4159021;

Jazzie
    , that's really impressive! Like so many, I've struggled with weight all my life also so I understand that it's not easy.
    I had heard that some of the physical complications and side effects after the surgery were really hard to endure. I can only imagine.
    Thanks for all you told us as it makes it easier to understand.

I like "Heavy" better than Biggest Loser also and I think it's because there's a undercurrent of "mean-ness" and shame on BL, which does produce results. But I think it takes a special person like you to do the "Heavy" method, who has really decided to do the work and in the long run, probably has more lasting effects than being "shamed" into it.
    :-) Thanks...the physical complications and side effects are very very real, and can vary with each individual. Physical side effects can be dealt with, if I eat something that my body rejects (or too much or too fast or something too fatty or sweet) I "furball" as my teenager put it. There's the risk of "dumping" which is having severe and unexpected diarrhea. And there are a million emotional impacts. For me, the worst emotional impact was just last year. I had to have my teeth extracted and replaced with dentures (not implants!) My hair was very thin and short at the time. When I looked at myself in the mirror with the dentures......I saw a skeleton. I have finally overcome it, but it unexpectedly spiraled me into a depression. The bariatric surgery....I'd do it again, knowing all the things I have had to deal with. I think of how much more severe my arthritis would be if I still had that 100+ pounds to carry around. But the reality is that this surgery completely changes your digestive system. You have to be prepared to deal with that, with the emotions, with losing hair, and dumping and in my case, furballing. But it is not for everyone, it is not undertaken lightly. I have heard criticism of bariatric patients, people who feel we somehow took the "easy" way out. Nothing easy about it. I hadn't intended to go into all this, but the show Heavy seems to really bring out the contrasts and reality of morbid obesity in ways that Loser never can. Just the one episode of Heavy helped me look at and re-evaluate my goals. Maybe part of that is the focus on Heavy is more individual, they are only looking at two people, and they are showing the reality of daily life. Loser seems petty,small-minded, geared to people failing with no expectation of support once the show is over. Or so it seems to me.

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Well, TBL is a competition show, but the two (now 4) trainers have always attempted to emphasize the "real" reason for the competitors to be there is to lose weight and change their lifestyle, and have often showed their distaste for the "gameplay" aspects of the show. Many of the TBL people are highly competitive, former athletes, and thrive in that environment. Tom & Jodi did not seem to be cut from that particular kind of cloth, so it's debatable if they would enjoy more success going the TBL route. For the non-TBL viewers, though - they definitely do recieve instruction on proper nutrition and lifestyle changes, but their food consumption is not monitored, they are just provided ingredients to make healthy choices. It is not significantly different from the month-long controlled environment Tom & Jodi were in with their trainers.

Another very interesting component, which I noticed because we've had intense discussion about it in the TBL threads, is that Tom & Jodi both lost a great deal of weight in a short time - again, similar to TBL. The TBL program has been derided because the weight loss is "too fast". My own personal opinion has always been that it is far riskier to one's health to be morbidly obese than to drop 50 pounds in a month's time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4159194;
    Well, TBL is a competition show, but the two (now 4) trainers have always attempted to emphasize the "real" reason for the competitors to be there is to lose weight and change their lifestyle, and have often showed their distaste for the "gameplay" aspects of the show. Many of the TBL people are highly competitive, former athletes, and thrive in that environment. Tom & Jodi did not seem to be cut from that particular kind of cloth, so it's debatable if they would enjoy more success going the TBL route. For the non-TBL viewers, though - they definitely do recieve instruction on proper nutrition and lifestyle changes, but their food consumption is not monitored, they are just provided ingredients to make healthy choices. It is not significantly different from the month-long controlled environment Tom & Jodi were in with their trainers.

Another very interesting component, which I noticed because we've had intense discussion about it in the TBL threads, is that Tom & Jodi both lost a great deal of weight in a short time - again, similar to TBL. The TBL program has been derided because the weight loss is "too fast". My own personal opinion has always been that it is far riskier to one's health to be morbidly obese than to drop 50 pounds in a month's time.
    AJ...you bring up some interesting points on Loser. Since I have not really watched the show, I cannot make too much of a comparison between the one episode I watched of Heavy and the blurbs I see on Loser.

The component on the fast weight loss.....that one is truly an individual situation. The biggest problem with that fast of a loss, whether it is surgical or diet/exercise based is the emotional-behavior factors. I know that my bariatric provider had a lot of focus on the actual health factors.....since I have hereditary heart disease, I had to go to a cardiologist and get new EKG's etc before they would schedule my actual surgery. I had to go through a psych evaluation so that they could look at where my mind and emotions were at. Pacific Bariatric did this in small groups...and some of the people in my group were dealing with horrendous emotional issues, including one who was an long-term incest victim. You are right about the health issues being significant, but too fast of weight loss (even the fast track I went through from surgery) can leave someone without time to deal with the emotional and mental baggage that goes with the weight loss. As far as I am concerned, anyone who is morbidly obese and puts an effort out to change that deserves kudos and support!

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4159194;
    I only watched the episode once, but I'm pretty sure both of them lost around 100 lbs in six months time. That didn't seem like BL numbers. The first month, they lost less than 40, if I remember correctly. After they went home, the weight loss was, naturally, slower than at the clinic. I remember thinking at the time that it was much slower - and more realistic - than BL. Even then, for a person who didn't have so much weight to lose, 20 lbs per month is still more than what is considered to be safe.

ITA that being morbidly obese is really dangerous, but super-fast weight loss can cause serious damage to your internal organs. That's why BL always has doctors monitoring the contestants.

I guess I'm just over BL. Even Bob, who I used to love, has turned kind of mean. I know it's all in the name of helping people, but i just don't enjoy watching it any more.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Tom had a big loss in the month he was at the...dunno what to call it (clinic? spa? retreat?). I think it was just under 60 lbs. Jodi's was less, but that is typical from what I've seen of the women on TBL. Tom of course was far heavier than Jodi.

My husband lost a lot of weight last year. He lost 50 lbs in the first month (he was 300 lbs+). This is a big generalization, but if you are really heavy, you lose what sounds like huge amounts of weight at the beginning.

I still like TBL, but then again I'm a True Believer in Jillian's methods and fitness programs. The 2-hour show is often draggy and repetitive and the voting-out of people still rubs me the wrong way (unless they're really unlikable ). I'm not against the challenges because I think the competition - rather than the prizes - is a huge incentive to many of the contestants (not all, of course, but if you apply for the show you know what you're signing up for).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzie1953;4159166;
    :-) I have heard criticism of bariatric patients, people who feel we somehow took the "easy" way out. Nothing easy about it. I hadn't intended to go into all this, but the show Heavy seems to really bring out the contrasts and reality of morbid obesity in ways that Loser never can.
    Yes, that's exactly the way I have heard it referred: "the easy way" and from what I previously understood, and now even more from what you've told us, it's not easy at all!! And you can't change your mind after it's been done because it's a permanent issue.

I, for one, really appreciate all the info you've given. I hear those ads on the radio, making this surgery sound like changing your hair color and it makes me mad. And I'm not even addressing the emotional effects that must be dealt with also.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4159312;
    I guess I'm just over BL. Even Bob, who I used to love, has turned kind of mean.
    Seems like everyone who's been on tv for awhile changes and usually not for the better. Sad.

Regardless of how people feel about Biggest Loser I don't think a show like Heavy would have been possible without Biggest Loser paving the way. Because BL has been so successful there have been of course similiar weight loss shows put on the air, VH1's Celebrity Fit Club, Oxygen's Dance Your Ass Off, Fat March, I Can Make You Thin. While some of the aspects of these shows can appear cruel and heartless if they can inspire people to lose weight and change their lifestyle then I hope they continue making these shows.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Have only ever watch snippets of Biggest Loser. I like Heavy better because . . . these people are truly in a battle to lose weight. They are their own worst enemy. Why complicate things and add in a competitiveness?

The trainer - David Richardson - is one fine looking man. Seems all tough on the outside, but I'm betting he's got a big heart and is cupcake soft inside!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread