+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Re: Heavy (A&E)

One thing I noticed is that the overweight people didn't appear to be wearing compression garments when they worked out. (On The Biggest Loser, I believe that they are used.) Wouldn't it be horrendously uncomfortable to have such a large stomach, like Tom's, and have it flopping around while exercising?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4155009;
    Watching the show, I was once again reminded of the fact that men lose weight faster and at greater amounts than women. I learned that fact long ago when my husband and I had a competition on who'd lose more weight faster and, of course, I lost. Hardly seems fair but just a fact of physiology.
    In sheer numbers it does seem like men do lose more then women but next time you have a competition with hubby do it by percentage of weight lost. I think you will find it more equitable.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4156357;
    One thing I noticed is that the overweight people didn't appear to be wearing compression garments when they worked out. (On The Biggest Loser, I believe that they are used.) Wouldn't it be horrendously uncomfortable to have such a large stomach, like Tom's, and have it flopping around while exercising?
    Who would make it? How much would it cost?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4156357;

Ok....I weighed 350 in 1985, went down on my own to 300. In 1999, I had weight loss surgery and lost over a hundred pounds. This show was much more "real world" to me than the biggest losers ever were. I see the ads for the Biggest Loser, but I do not watch it. On the garments....it is uncomfortable exercising at a large weight.....but honestly, the compression garments made it more difficult, not less. Plus, when you have any heart issues, your medical and rehab team advise you NOT to do too tight or compressed. In that way, I think Heavy is a much more realistic and honest show....and the mental and emotional baggage are part and parcel of having that level of obesity. Or so it seems to this middle aged plump woman! :-)
    Last edited by Jazzie1953; 01-21-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: clarification!
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4157369;
    There's always somebody who would make it, but the cost would be ridiculous. If you could afford that kind of compression garment (which seems unwise to me at that level of obesity) you probably would be a yo-yo dieter with a personal trainer and chef. (IMHO)

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4157369;
    I'm not sure. My understanding is that it is similar to Spanx.

Jazzie, congratulations on your weight loss! So you wore the compression garments and found them uncomfortable? I have heard them recommended for people who are runners and have excessive loose skin. Of course, someone who is running would not have the heart or blood pressure issues.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4157539;
    I'm not sure. My understanding is that it is similar to Spanx.

Jazzie, congratulations on your weight loss! So you wore the compression garments and found them uncomfortable? I have heard them recommended for people who are runners and have excessive loose skin. Of course, someone who is running would not have the heart or blood pressure issues.
    Thanks! It is sometimes more difficult to deal with the emotional baggage than the obesity, but it is worth the effort. I never wore the truly "compression" kind of thing.....once in a while I still will wear a lite body shaper just for certain dresses or pants. The thing with the few times I tried something like the compressor, ok if this gets too specific for anyone, I apologize, but it is reality. Trying to wear something like that, even at the lower weight I am now, is horrible. I admire the two people on the show for showing how their bodies really were, but now think about trying to get that tummy and the thighs and backside into compression clothes. Trust me, that will only raise your frustration level and anger level.....and then that all tends to get turned back on yourself. It's like chronic illnesses and depression (I have dealt with both) you don't feel well and are tired and that makes you more depressed. You are more depressed, so you become even more tired and lethargic. Add morbid obesity, and the tendency to turn your negative emotions inward...yeah! It is like I told my doctor one time about 15 years ago.....I wouldn't put a gun to my head and commit suicide because I love my husband and son, but I am slowly committing suicide by food. That doctor was responsible for me doing as much as I could for myself and then getting me into the surgical weight loss program. TMI? Sorry!

-

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzie1953;4157619;
    Thanks! It is sometimes more difficult to deal with the emotional baggage than the obesity, but it is worth the effort. I never wore the truly "compression" kind of thing.....once in a while I still will wear a lite body shaper just for certain dresses or pants. The thing with the few times I tried something like the compressor, ok if this gets too specific for anyone, I apologize, but it is reality. Trying to wear something like that, even at the lower weight I am now, is horrible. I admire the two people on the show for showing how their bodies really were, but now think about trying to get that tummy and the thighs and backside into compression clothes. Trust me, that will only raise your frustration level and anger level.....and then that all tends to get turned back on yourself. It's like chronic illnesses and depression (I have dealt with both) you don't feel well and are tired and that makes you more depressed. You are more depressed, so you become even more tired and lethargic. Add morbid obesity, and the tendency to turn your negative emotions inward...yeah! It is like I told my doctor one time about 15 years ago.....I wouldn't put a gun to my head and commit suicide because I love my husband and son, but I am slowly committing suicide by food. That doctor was responsible for me doing as much as I could for myself and then getting me into the surgical weight loss program. TMI? Sorry!

-
    Jazzie, not TMI at all. It's great to get this kind of information.

While reading what you wrote about getting into the compression clothes, I was reminded of times when I was trying on some top in a fitting room that was too small and I couldn't get my arms or head out of it and felt almost a panic type feeling so your explaination gave me a better understanding.

Congratulations on losing so much weight! especially after the surgical procedure. From what I've heard that can create some pretty awful things to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzie1953;4157619;

-
    Not TMI at all! In fact, incredibly inspiring. Your story commands a lot of respect ansd admiration from me.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

BTW, I like this show so much more than Biggest Loser. Biggest Loser is such a controlled atmosphere-it seems like it's designed for failure once you return to the real world. This show explores the realities and the reasons and the frustrations and provides honest, real world solutions. The only reward Heavy promises, is a healthier and longer life. No games or scheming.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast