+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Heavy (A&E)

Re: Heavy (A&E)

I really like this show. More realistic weight loss and facing of issues.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I am not liking the final reveals of the last 2 episodes it smacks of Biggest Loser. I much preferred the before and after side by side photos so I could see the difference, otherwise the participants still look fat to me.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Minney View Post
    Not sure I fully understand why Jill would need a doctors approval to begin attempting to conceive, unless they know they will need medical intervention to become pregnant. Last I knew couples didn't need dr approval to "start" a family!
    I don't know much about weight and getting pregnant. Wonder if there's a higher incidence in miscarriage with obese women. Or, as you said, maybe they can't get in vitro if the weight isn't acceptable. Those are just guesses.

I've had heavier woemn in my workplace who were pregnant and had the baby and I never knew because they were so big. Heavier women do not have to gain any wieght when they are pregnant as they are already carrying the stored energy the fetus needs.

Obese women are at great risk to develop gestational diabetes and high blood pressure, which can be very dangerous to the mother. It's great that Jill and her husband took the doctor's recommendation seriously. It's one thing to be overweight and become pregnant, but holy crap, Jill was over 300 lbs. A pregnancy could really compromise her health.

Some years back, I was acquainted with a woman whose was obese and became pregnant. Her doctor actually put her on a diet during her pregnancy because he was so concerned for her. She lost 9 lbs during her pregnancy. Baby was fine.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Obese women are at great risk to develop gestational diabetes and high blood pressure, which can be very dangerous to the mother. It's great that Jill and her husband took the doctor's recommendation seriously. It's one thing to be overweight and become pregnant, but holy crap, Jill was over 300 lbs. A pregnancy could really compromise her health.

Some years back, I was acquainted with a woman whose was obese and became pregnant. Her doctor actually put her on a diet during her pregnancy because he was so concerned for her. She lost 9 lbs during her pregnancy. Baby was fine.
    My doctor had a very low weight gain he wanted for me. I think it was like 18 pounds. I was on the heavy side. I went over a bit, but not too bad. So yes, it is a health concern. For me, I got pregnant FAST. I had just started to try to lose weight and BAM.

Pregnancy is hard on a woman's body regardless of size and shape. I've had friends that were skinny and had more problems than some of friends that were heavy set. I am a believer in that it is totally up to the body and what it wants to do, your body just goes through some of the craziest moments when you are pregnant. I was underweight when I got pregnant, and as the pregnancy went along I got high blood pressure (never had it before), I was put on bed rest for about 2 weeks before giving birth. My sisters who are a bit bigger had no issues at all. Me the little skinny one had all the medical problems.

I do agree if you already have serious health issues (regardless of size as stated above) by all means deal with the health issues because in the end you want a healthy mom and baby but in reality most women get pregnant "accidentally" not sure if that's the right word to use, I don't know most women who go through a complete physical before getting pregnant.

Well, sure...there are women who are heavy smokers or drug users, or on the other side of the coin, are professional athletes or have physically demanding jobs, and they have uneventful pregnancies. But we are talking about Jill, who was 305 lbs and who saw her doctor because she was having issues becoming pregnant. If one is experiencing fertility issues, the first thing a responsible doctor would do is to eliminate all obstacles that are within the mother's control before taking extreme steps like IVF.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Well I think it was kind of rude for her doctor just to call her fat and that's why she is not getting pregnant. There are tons of heavyset women that have gotten pregnant just fine....in fact one of my friends was over 250lbs and did invitro with no issues from her doctors.

When you are trying to get pregnanat, you never do.

There are 2 more episodes left in the season and they will be a "Where Are They Now" for the Texas participants.

In last nights episode I felt very happy for Stacia for losing 148lbs in 6 months and yet fell bad for her because she still weighted in at 280+ lbs. The show mentioned she had lost an additional 15 lbs and left her husband.

On average Stacia was losing 24 lbs per month.

I was wondering if all "Little People" have such a hard time losing weight, I really was rooting for Tim to lose 100lbs. While the show mentioned that his waist was about 61 inches before he started it didn't mention what his waist was after losing the 66lbs. I think the best moment in this episode was watching Beverly Perfect help him learn to swim, and it was also good to see Tim not falling asleep all the time by the end of the episode. Wasn't that simply a side effect of sleep apnea?

+ Reply to Thread