+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Strange Addiction (TLC)

Re: My Strange Addiction (TLC)

i need to check this show out. i wonder if they have eps up on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;4143934;
    i need to check this show out. i wonder if they have eps up on the website.
    episodes on you tube

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I saw the toilet paper eating lady on Tyra once. I can't believe some of these people are able to eat these things (cleanser? There's a reason they post warnings on those things) and still be able to stay standing and not be drastically sick. I hate to think what might happen in the long run The ventriloquist lady is strange, but seems normal in comparision. A lot of people like that hobby, though maybe not as much as her.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I know there is a mental illness behind all this, but still, I have to wonder . . . . how does one even make the connection that eating couch cushions, ajax or detergent is going to make them feel better?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

What do you think about the one who spent $45,000 on about 200 pairs of high-end shoes? It was a lot of money, for sure, but it didn't seem as taboo as the other ones. (She wasn't eating the shoes or anything.) Still, fiscally irresponsible and a little on the Carrie Bradshaw side. Maybe in 10 years we'll see her on Hoarders!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4149366;
    What do you think about the one who spent $45,000 on about 200 pairs of high-end shoes? It was a lot of money, for sure, but it didn't seem as taboo as the other ones. (She wasn't eating the shoes or anything.) Still, fiscally irresponsible and a little on the Carrie Bradshaw side. Maybe in 10 years we'll see her on Hoarders!
    I can see it now... she sleeps on a chair surrounded by boxes of shoes. They will probably even find dad mice in the mix.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4149366;
    I thought she was so pretty! lol But she was also one of the only ones I've seen who has taken the therapy and the help really seriously. She knows she has a problem and it seemed like she really did want to stop doing it, a few of the others I've seen have been trying to make excuses and they don't really care about changing - I hope she succeeds.

I thought she was really pretty too Glinda; she kind of reminded me of Eva Longoria. I was kind of surprised that she took her mom along shopping, but you're right, that must've been part of her strategy for stopping - having a "voice of reason" along.

Found this medical article about Pica (Latin:taken from the word Magpie, a bird known to eat everything). Pica, the need to eat non food items, occurs in all cultures, developed and undeveloped, both genders and even in the animal kingdom.
    Non-edible items most commonly consumed are detergent,soap,dirt,flour,ice, ashes and cigarette butts. There is ongoing debate as to the caus of Pica-everything from severe iron deficiency to obsessive compuulsive disorderare considered possible causes.
    pica - definition of pica in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Yes, the girl with the shoe addiction did seem to want therapy and I think she will be able to get a handle on it. I also thought the detergent-eating girl will also be able to control her addiction. I was so pleased that she was able to open up to her family about it, even though it was so uncomfortable. Her mother seemed like someone who would help her through this.
    I read the article you posted, redsox girl. I had heard of this but had no idea the extent of it. I remember once for about a year, I craved eating ice and I did it a lot of it. Someone told me I was lacking some kind of vitamin or mineral, so I started taking a multi-supplement and eating better and no longer had the desire for ice. Odd, isn't it? I wasn't too worried about it because I figured I was just getting more H2O and that's good for you. Sure glad it wasn't rocks, soap or worms!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast