+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

I didn't think the rib joint was "shabby". I think, it too, was modest.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I also noticed Vernita's (Oprah's mother) modest home and thought it was odd, as I've heard other celebs say the first thing they did when they got money was to buy their parents a beautiful home. Seems there may be some tension between Oprah and her mother way back from childhood, as she supposedly was really raised more by her father, although shuttled back and forth between the two. I've never read any tabloid journalism about her, Kitty Kelley's book included, but heard snippets about the strained family relationships. You could kind of see it when Oprah was talking with her mother in the segment they filmed with Patricia there. Oprah really lucked out on getting such a nice half-sister who obviously has a lot of integrity.

Oprah's two siblings who died were a half-brother and half-sister. Not to be judgmental or imposing my values on anyone, but I found it kind of interesting that Vernita was ashamed of having given a baby up for adoption but not of having had four kids fathered by at least three different men, and I don't know if she was married to any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4162992;
    I also noticed Vernita's (Oprah's mother) modest home and thought it was odd, as I've heard other celebs say the first thing they did when they got money was to buy their parents a beautiful home. Seems there may be some tension between Oprah and her mother way back from childhood, as she supposedly was really raised more by her father, although shuttled back and forth between the two. I've never read any tabloid journalism about her, Kitty Kelley's book included, but heard snippets about the strained family relationships. You could kind of see it when Oprah was talking with her mother in the segment they filmed with Patricia there. Oprah really lucked out on getting such a nice half-sister who obviously has a lot of integrity.

Oprah's two siblings who died were a half-brother and half-sister. Not to be judgmental or imposing my values on anyone, but I found it kind of interesting that Vernita was ashamed of having given a baby up for adoption but not of having had four kids fathered by at least three different men, and I don't know if she was married to any of them.
    When you use a phrase like this, and you use the word "but", you are doing exactly what you claim you're not going to do. We all have situations in our lives that we may not be glad to have or have known.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and one might say pointing out someone elses intentions with their own statement is a bit presumptuous. Yes we all have skeletons in our closet or things we wish we could change or that we may not be proud of. That doesn't cancel out the fact that there are a lot of double standards in our society so I feel Lucky has a point and I find it interesting as well. I was so amazed at this story and the fact that the news story about Oprah's mother who I had never seen in my life came on the same day she was rejected by her and she was somehow given the same name as her sister unknowingly, the whole scenario gave me chills and cemented my belief for me that everything does happen for a reason.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4163022;
    When you use a phrase like this, and you use the word "but", you are doing exactly what you claim you're not going to do. We all have situations in our lives that we may not be glad to have or have known.
    Sorry to have confused you. I said nothing judgmental about having situations in our lives that we may not be proud of. I have a few of my own for sure. To try to clarify, I was stating that I found it interesting (which is not a judgmental word) that Vernita was ashamed of having given up a child for adoption ... which I think is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about ... but apparently thought nothing about having four kids out of wedlock by different fathers. Just shows you how people have different values. Actually, I don't think either one is a cause for shame.

I think Oprah handles her parents in the best way she can. Although I must admit I don't know that much about it, just what I see and hear, which isn't much. Oprah didn't win the lottery when it came to parents. Neither one would win any prizes for Parent of the Year.

I think she has found that it's best to let everyone live their life as they would if they didn't have a famous, super wealthy relative. How can you give to some but not others? And who's to say, how much money is enough money? There are always problems when money is involved. Look what happens when someone dies with money. Relatives come out of the woodwork to claim something and enemies are made within families all because of money.
    This probably works best for her and her relatives. I doubt she'd let anyone go hungry or homeless but everyone should be responsible for their own finances and not expect handouts just because someone has more.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4162992;

Good point. This hadn't crossed my mind and I agree. Vernita is not woman who I would tag, intelligent. I suppose, in her mind, if you get pregnant you keep your kids. The shame is in not being able to take care of them vs not being married. Odd though. She has paid little attention to her daughters show, clearly. I wonder if she watches them much.

I remember some interview with Oprah where she did state that she made sure that her parents were financially secure, which I assume to mean that they have ownership over wherever they live and enough money to live on.

She also put her sister in rehab more than once, to little/no avail.

I have read that Oprah bought her mom a condo, and that she has also supported her father. I think she does right by them, but she doesn't have much of a connection. She has previously stated that one of the reasons she doesn't have children is because she was "poorly mothered". I'm not a huge Oprah fan, but I bet she gets tired of being treated like an ATM machine.

+ Reply to Thread