+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

FORT Fogey

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Not saying that she had no experience or (again) that she is without talent, but her professional experience was minor and quite common in the broadcast journalism field until she became friends with Oprah, and Oprah has had her own show and increasing influence and power for 25 years. Twenty-five years ago, it was 1986, and at the time Gayle was a TV news anchor in a relatively minor market. Obviously, looking at the resume you provided, her career didn't really take off until Oprah made her editor of O magazine. Having been a print journalist for 25 years before I retired, including five years as a magazine editor, I can tell you that people just don't get jobs as editor of a general interest national magazine with no print journalism background.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4143443;
    OWN Sneak Preview - The Rosie O'Donnell Show - Oprah.com

It's confirmed. Rosie will have her own show on OWN. I read somewhere that it will air later this year.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm quite looking forward to the show.

The more I see of OWN the more I like it. Oprah has vision! And I love Gayle and the Phil/Suze/Oz segments. I'm not much of a TV watcher, but strangely a RH addict. And now I love OWN. Hope the rest of the world loves them too!
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I say 'enough already' with all of the 'negative programming' that is being forced down our throats these days, with all the scandal-mongers, mean girls, papparazzi frenzi, cheating spouses, idolization of mafia and other crime figures, rewards for drunk and drugged behavior, media hounds, and everything else that's being aimed at the very lowest common denominator of our society -- there's great news from OWN:

In addition to Oprah, Rosie O'Donnell, Gayle King, Julia Roberts, Naomi and Wynonna Judd, Carson Kressley, Ryan and Tatum O'Neal, Suze Orman, Nancy O'Dell, Carson Kressley, Dr. Phil, Drl Oz, and Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, it looks like Lisa Ling will also be appearing regularly on OWN. And all in the name of 'positive programming'!!! My goodness! I am so looking forward to all of this! OPRAH, YOU GO GIRL!!!!

PS Did anyone see Piers Morgan's interview (on his new CNN show) with Oprah Monday night? It was fabulous, and Oprah was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;4153667;
    I say 'enough already' with all of the 'negative programming' that is being forced down our throats these days, with all the scandal-mongers, mean girls, papparazzi frenzi, cheating spouses, idolization of mafia and other crime figures, rewards for drunk and drugged behavior, media hounds, and everything else that's being aimed at the very lowest common denominator of our society -- there's great news from OWN:

In addition to Oprah, Rosie O'Donnell, Gayle King, Julia Roberts, Naomi and Wynonna Judd, Carson Kressley, Ryan and Tatum O'Neal, Suze Orman, Nancy O'Dell, Carson Kressley, Dr. Phil, Drl Oz, and Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, it looks like Lisa Ling will also be appearing regularly on OWN. And all in the name of 'positive programming'!!! My goodness! I am so looking forward to all of this! OPRAH, YOU GO GIRL!!!!

PS Did anyone see Piers Morgan's interview (on his new CNN show) with Oprah Monday night? It was fabulous, and Oprah was wonderful.
    Am in total agreement with you here. The Jerry Springers were good for a minute because of the shock value but that was it. When Oprah changed her format years ago away from "trashy shock" subjects, I've watched more of her show, even though there are a lot I don't care to watch.

I've always like Peirs Morgan, even though I understand why a lot of people feel he is a pompous a_ _. The same can be said of Simon Cowell and maybe they are but I find their blunt honesty to be refreshing.
    So far, I'm enjoying quite a few of OWN's shows.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am loving Gayle King's show. Her voice is low and soothing, and I enjoy her addressing immediate news-relevant topics every week day. It's a radio show done on television, in combination with her actual radio show.

Now, Gayle's outfit today......wellllllll.......it was an animal print (leopard, I think) dress with animal print shoes. Johnny Weir was her guest, and he said he liked the outfit. I think he was just being nice. Truth be told, it was just too much, but I think he was too considerate to say so. The shoes were awful, but could work alone. Gayle was so tickled that Johnny said her outfit wasn't "too much". Gayle, he lied to you!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4160656;
    I am loving Gayle King's show. Her voice is low and soothing, and I enjoy her addressing immediate news-relevant topics every week day. It's a radio show done on television, in combination with her actual radio show.

Now, Gayle's outfit today......wellllllll.......it was an animal print (leopard, I think) dress with animal print shoes. Johnny Weir was her guest, and he said he liked the outfit. I think he was just being nice. Truth be told, it was just too much, but I think he was too considerate to say so. The shoes were awful, but could work alone. Gayle was so tickled that Johnny said her outfit wasn't "too much". Gayle, he lied to you!!
    Then again...nothing would be considered over the top by Johnny Wier.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Found out, today, that Johnny has just "come out". That shocked me since I guess I never realized that he was "in". I just assumed that was a well-known fact.

And you could tell by the look on Johnny's face that he wasn't exactly saying what he was really thinking, too. He is too polite to say anything else, but it was obvious....and there was that slight hesitation before he respnded. Dead giveaway!

One day, she will see a picture of herself in that outfit, and she will wonder, "What was I thinking???"
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-24-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I will comment here about her regular syndicated show and her new found sister since we really only need one thread on Oprah.

I didn't know she had 2 siblings who died much less a neice and nephew! I was surprised to see, from what we saw of their lives, they not reflect any serious gifting from Oprah. The rib joint was shabby and the home they visited, modest. She also mentioned on Piers Morgan that when she died all of her money was going to charity. Now she may have provisions in there for her family but she didnt mention that!

I get it that someone with her money experiences constant requests for money or expectation for it. Just seems strange to me that she has not shared much with her family. I am very curious about this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Oprah's 'new' sister Patricia seems like such a sweetheart. What an adorable woman, and I couldn't help but notice how tiny and petite she is, next to Oprah! And how incredibly kind and thoughtful of Patricia to worry about not 'outing' Oprah, way back in 2007 --- before she had even met Oprah! I guess she must have been concerned (and rightly so) about the shock of their mother not only having had an unknown baby in the 50s, but having given that baby away without ever mentioning a word about it to her children, and then, when that baby grew up and reached out to the mother --- the mother didn't want to see her! That is really, really sad!!!

Patricia seems to be such an honorable and genuine lady, Especially, in light of the fact that Oprah's other sister, Pat, ratted her out to the tabloids --- I think that Oprah is truly blessed to have found both Patricia and her children. I hope they develop a close family tie and yes, I hope that Oprah is financially generous with them.

+ Reply to Thread