+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 24243444546474849505152535455 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

I have not seen the finales yet but here is a recap from USA TODAY.

Interesting.

'Lindsay' finale: Tears, fears and a miscarriage
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

There is also now a magazine article where the unnamed author claims he was drinking vodka with Lindsay during their interview, and that she revealed she's dating a man who is married with children. Since it's a brand new magazine with a writer who won't even put his/her name on the piece, the reliability is certainly questionable. But if that turns out to be true, perhaps it's time to speculate that Oprah took Lindsay under her wing simply to ensure that OWN would not be remembered as the greatest failure of Oprah's career.
    Punkin likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am amazed at how enamored people seem to be of Lindsay, with how much they talk about her. What fascination does she really hold? Whether they are speaking positively or negatively....the fact is that they are talking. Perfect example...just look at how focused this thread is!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am amazed at how enamored people seem to be of Lindsay, with how much they talk about her. What fascination does she really hold? Whether they are speaking positively or negatively....the fact is that they are talking. Perfect example...just look at how focused this thread is!
    I don't think you have to be enamoured of her to make an observation I know I am not
    AcookerTV likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Captivated by, fascinated by, bewitched by.......all caught up in.......this girl is trash, like no other, and she's got all of these people under her spell.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Nope, none of the above for me, sorry to disappoint. She was on, I watched a little and didn't bother with the finale.
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

prhoshay, this site is filled with threads discussing a host of TV shows. Would you insist that people are enamored/captivated/fascinated/bewitched by all of them? Or is it fairly normal behavior when coming to a reality TV discussion board to discuss reality TV? This thread is dedicated to all shows on OWN, and the one at the moment that is getting the most attention is Lindsday. That people are discussing it is a reflection of the purpose of FORT in my book - not any sort of indication of an emotional reponse to Lindsay herself.
    Punkin and overseas like this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Which leads to another point about her show -- for a girl who claimed she was doing the show to portray her real life, she certainly did have a lot of rules set (and not ahead of time) for what could be shown on camera. As soon as she thought she was looking bad,suddenly it was something to not deal with on camera. But somehow we're supposed to believe from all that she was showing us her real life. I wish Oprah would share with the world what she thinks of this whole experience - but I doubt we'll ever get the truth on that one.
    I would love to look at the contract. She was contractually obligated to do certain things and well, she didn't deliver on that at all. I admit that I only saw a couple of episodes and didn't even watch the finale, but from what I saw, Lindsay didn't reveal or show her real life at all. What she did and how she acted has been already reported and all the audience saw was it happening on tv. A re-enactment, if you will. If I was Oprah, I'd be asking for my money back for violating the contract.

People keep saying that Lindsay is beyond help and I agree with that. Why does she keep doing the same things over and over again, well that's because it is working for her. Despite her nasty reputation, people are still willing to hire her. So it isn't for big tv or movie roles and they aren't that frequent, but she is still getting some cash. Not until the offers totally stop coming in will she change her ways. Besides, with her "side business", I hear that cash isn't really a concern of hers. Of course she is aging too, and not well so those offers will eventually dry up soon too.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

FORT Fogey

The more I think about it, the more I think that Oprah comes out of this a little tarnished as well - or she should. When OWN fist launched, I remember her talking about disliking reality TV, and the "documentary" shows that she would do would all be focused on people making their lives better. That was the idea behind the Judds, Shania Twain, and Sarah Furgeson shows. Of course, they didn't do much in the ratings, and contributed to OWN's struggles. The idea behind doing this show with Lindsay as I understood it was two-fold. First, it would produce a show about a girl getting her life in order, hoping to inspire others who have dealt with addiction. Second, it would build a relationship between Lindsay and Oprah where Oprah could take her under her wing and give her the kind of tough love mentoring that Lindsay never really got from anyone else. Once the people at OWN saw what was actually happening with filming, they could have scrapped the show, because it certainly didn't provide the kind of uplifting inspiring TV it was meant to. Even though it had been announced they were doing this, Oprah could have made a statement that the results were not what they were hoping for, and they were not going to exploit the situation. As for the mentoring - I know that Lindsay demonstrated on Letterman that she can call Oprah anytime. But I don't think it could be said that Oprah is really present for Lindsay helping her out. Hiring a film crew to monitor her, and a life coach to guide her is hardly the same thing as taking her under her wing. I kind of feel like if Lindsday had turned herself around, Oprah would take a lot of the credit. But since she has not, Oprah is distancing herself. I understand why she is choosing damage control. But it certainly does seem to me that in hopes of helping her network (and failing) Oprah has grabbed for the exploiting brass ring that she used to say she was above.

Lindsay may make it for a little longer, but once her looks really fail, she's going to actual feel the brunt of rejection. By the time she's 35 years old, I suspect that Lyndsay will follow the similar fates of child actresses such as Erin Moran and Susan Richards.

Susan Richardson Broke: 'Eight Is Enough' Star Sick, Living In A 'Rotting' Trailer

+ Reply to Thread