+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I LOVED Men of a Certain Age! I was extremely disappointed when it was cancelled.
    I loved that show too. Ray Romano was soooo good in that show and it was his baby as well. I think it only lasted 2 seasons, right? It was on TNT or TBS, one of those T channels. Great cast with Scott Bakula, Andre Braugher, and Lisa Gay Hamilton. I guess it never found its audience.
    Debb70 likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    YES! That's it. Everyone said all the right things and everyone was so cordial, but there is an elephant in the room and I don't know what it is. Something is wonky, but I don't know what. I may have to watch it a couple more times, but I'll see if I can put out some ideas.

Pat sure is a dream though. Everyone seems to think she's golden. I got the impression that she never did ask anything from Oprah, but finally did accept something modest, like her new house and maybe tuition for her college degree. If that's so, I see nothing wrong with it. If you can't help your loved ones have something like a nice home and education with all your money, then what good is it. I sometimes think of winning the lottery and my fun is thinking of the wonderful things I would do for my family and friends. That's the joy of it, IMO.
    Yes, exactly --- a kind of elephant in the room. Maybe Oprah's family members are a little put off that she is soooooo wealthy, and they may very well feel that she 'should' be giving more to them. What also strikes me as interesting is that Oprah seems totally comfortable with the biggest stars and the most important people on the planet, but yet so UNcomfortable with the members of her own family. She even seems way more comfortable with Gayle's kids than members of her own family.

PS I TOTALLY agree about the lottery Debb, and the great fun I have also, when I fantasize about all the wonderful things I could do for my friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Yes, exactly --- a kind of elephant in the room. Maybe Oprah's family members are a little put off that she is soooooo wealthy, and they may very well feel that she 'should' be giving more to them. What also strikes me as interesting is that Oprah seems totally comfortable with the biggest stars and the most important people on the planet, but yet so UNcomfortable with the members of her own family. She even seems way more comfortable with Gayle's kids than members of her own family.

PS I TOTALLY agree about the lottery Debb, and the great fun I have also, when I fantasize about all the wonderful things I could do for my friends and family.
    Yes, she does seem more comfortable hanging out with Tom Cruise, John Travolota, Tom Hanks, etc. than her own family. There is something there, but I just can't put my finger on it. I believe she has probably been very generous with them. That's my take on it. Maybe, she is extremely generous, but they blow the money and want more. That would tick me off.

I think that it's odd that Pat, at her age would be able to buy and furnish a new house and quit her job and attend college, without some outside contribution or winning the lottery.

I fantasize that I would build this wonderful rose garden for my mom that is actually indoor, (Like Candy Spelling's) so she could enjoy them all the time. No bugs, and the planters would be waist high so she wouldn't have to bend over to tend them. Then she could have a nice pool for her to do her exercises, also like Candy Spelling. I got some good ideas from her. lol

AND we all go to London for Christmas, my treat. so they can see the sites and shop with the $5,000.00 gift card I give to each person for Harrod's.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

O is probably more comfortable with her celeb friends because she doesn't have to be suspicious of their motives; she also may have known some of them longer? There's more of an even playing field there? When you get to know people, you come to have your inner voice telling you certain things. Blood does not obligate you to give and spend. Family can be your worst enemy, sometimes. Is she waiting to see if someone is going to "sell her out"? In the long run, she can leave a little something-something in her will to the bloodline, if she is so inclined. If not, well so be it; she has a right to her decisions....with or without explanations.

While I'm saying all of that, I haven't even seen the show.

Really looking forward to seeing The Butler.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Where in the world did Tyler Perry come up with The Haves and the Have Nots? This soap opera is wearing me out! It gives me moments. For me, it just defies belief! It's definitely not your grandma's Tyler Perry, that's for sure. It's not his usual comedy, but it does have me laughing out loud............in "omigod-ism".

Is anybody watching this but me? Input, please!
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The Butler looks good- what a great cast! love seeing Oprah in a movie again
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I haven't seen The Have's and Have Nots. I will probably wait until Oprah's movie is available online.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Where in the world did Tyler Perry come up with The Haves and the Have Nots? This soap opera is wearing me out! It gives me moments. For me, it just defies belief! It's definitely not your grandma's Tyler Perry, that's for sure. It's not his usual comedy, but it does have me laughing out loud............in "omigod-ism". Is anybody watching this but me? Input, please!
    I watched the first episode, shay, with great expectations. And I really liked the cast. But I couldn't make it through the 2nd episode. It was all just too 1950s soap opera for me. I don't know, I just couldn't get into it.

I think I've become fascinated by seeing a side of Tyler Perry that I've never seen; I have not seen a lot of his work, though. I agree that it was not easy to get into, but I am kind of glad that I hung in there. It has improved, or I've gotten used to it. It is one of the stranger things I've ever watched, that's for sure. How in the world did Tyler come up with this storyline? It's just so different for him. That being said, I love soap operas, but this one is just......different. I guess different can be a good thing if you just open up your mind. We tend to complain about the sameness of the shows that we watch, so this one is not in the "sameness" vein.

Can't help but wonder whose story he is telling, or if this is all from "Wonderland". I guess it could be a mash-up of multiple stories.

Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    Aw man, I didn't know there was a follow up on the sister. I guess I have to check it out.
    You're in luck, kireelady! OWN is rerunning the Where Are They Now episode with Oprah's sister Patricia, tomorrow (Friday) evening, Aug. 9th! Hope you catch it! Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread