+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

How can you dwell on the friction that went on years ago when so many fabulouls things are happening now?? Iyanla's Lifeclasses are amazing and extremely insightful; I can see that Oprah thinks so, too. So, if Oprah can let it go, we all need to move on and not dwell in pettiness! You can't hear what's going on if you can't get your mind off what went on! The two main contenders are moving on without you, and I know they don't want to do that! Refuse That Gravitational Pull!!!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think what bothers me is that when I see the wonderful life force that Iyanla is, I think back to seeing her on Starting Over. She was the same way there. She has a gift that is so inspiring. The fact she was off tv for all those years, because Oprah thought she dissed her, is so sad. I saw the show where Oprah and Iylana discuss what happened. They hugged and made up. I know. Regardless of the spin that was put on it, Oprah was petty IMO, and it robbed the viewing audience and punished Iylana. The whole thing about how Iylana needed to suffer to be what she is, is baloney, IMO. She was already there. That explanation is what Oprah needed to justify her actions and Iylana goes along with it, because this new opportunity is too good to refuse. Plus, Iyanla isn't petty. So, this is my feeling. And it's significant, because I adore Oprah and pretty much do not find fault with her. She is one of my top favorite people. But, no one is perfect.

I hope to get over it and perhaps every time I see Iylana I can just appreciate her greatness without that tinge of resentment that she was treated poorly. That's all I'll say about it. It doesn't matter at this point. It just makes me appreciate Iylana all the more.
    AmyKay and AlwaysVeg like this.

It was all about the lack of communication, and that was the crux of the problem. Once people reduce things down to their lowest common denominators, the solutions tend to flow. Iyanla also still had a lot of life lessons to go through....like the death of her early 20s daughter to cancer that was waiting to teach her lessons. She had to lose a lot of money....her fortune; she had to lose her marriage; Iyanla was a serious student of life lessons that she needed to get to where she is today.

I don't think there was anything petty between them, at all.....just lessons yet to be learned that would impel them on their way, and they were both smart enough to know that.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Iyanla's ability to bring insight to a situation was on full display with a gospel singing group called The Pace Sisters last weekend. It was amazing to watch. I tend to feel very sorry for people who have to grow up in "severely-Jesus homes".

The Lifeclasses with Dr. Phil were also very interesting and attention-riveting this weekend. He delved into the principles of his LifeCode book, and really got me to thinking about my own experiences. We could all learn a lot from that book, I do believe.

Watched Iyanla, Oprah, and 2 male educators do a 2-part show on Daddyless Daughters this past weekend. Having seen it once, I want to see it again, since I was one. It really made me be able to put some words to my experiences. I encourage anyone who may be able to identify with that situation to check it out. All I can say is thank God for my grandfather. The weird thing is that my parents WERE even married.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Watched Iyanla, Oprah, and 2 male educators do a 2-part show on Daddyless Daughters this past weekend. Having seen it once, I want to see it again, since I was one. It really made me be able to put some words to my experiences. I encourage anyone who may be able to identify with that situation to check it out. All I can say is thank God for my grandfather. The weird thing is that my parents WERE even married.
    Three cheers for OWN! And three more cheers for Iyanla and Oprah for putting on this very important series!!! Many fathers have always had a way of being 'absent' while they were physically present in the home, so I can completely see how you could be a "daddyless daughter" Shay, while your parents were still married. I'm so glad you were able to see the Daddyless Daughters programming on OWN, and I hope you were able to get some help and support from it.

Has anyone watched Oprah's Where Are They Now about her sister Patricia? I would like to get your take on it. Something about it is bothering me. I can't put my finger on it. I'd like to compare notes. Oh, I adore Oprah, but something about this was odd, IMO.

Aw man, I didn't know there was a follow up on the sister. I guess I have to check it out.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Has anyone watched Oprah's Where Are They Now about her sister Patricia? I would like to get your take on it. Something about it is bothering me. I can't put my finger on it. I'd like to compare notes. Oh, I adore Oprah, but something about this was odd, IMO.
    I watched it and really enjoyed it. Oprah's sister Patricia seems like an incredibly sweet lady. I noticed that the piece implied that not only has Patricia not asked for anything from Oprah, but apparently she has declined to accept anything from her either. There were a couple of things that I found a little odd Debb --- and I wonder if either of these were what you were referring to: First, it seemed strange to me that Oprah had never been to her sister's house before (although Patricia's house had apparently been recently purchased), and it just seemed to me that Oprah's interactions with all of her family members seemed a little. . . I don't know, awkward???

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I watched it and really enjoyed it. Oprah's sister Patricia seems like an incredibly sweet lady. I noticed that the piece implied that not only has Patricia not asked for anything from Oprah, but apparently she has declined to accept anything from her either. There were a couple of things that I found a little odd Debb --- and I wonder if either of these were what you were referring to: First, it seemed strange to me that Oprah had never been to her sister's house before (although Patricia's house had apparently been recently purchased), and it just seemed to me that Oprah's interactions with all of her family members seemed a little. . . I don't know, awkward???
    YES! That's it. Everyone said all the right things and everyone was so cordial, but there is an elephant in the room and I don't know what it is. Something is wonky, but I don't know what. I may have to watch it a couple more times, but I'll see if I can put out some ideas.

Pat sure is a dream though. Everyone seems to think she's golden. I got the impression that she never did ask anything from Oprah, but finally did accept something modest, like her new house and maybe tuition for her college degree. If that's so, I see nothing wrong with it. If you can't help your loved ones have something like a nice home and education with all your money, then what good is it. I sometimes think of winning the lottery and my fun is thinking of the wonderful things I would do for my family and friends. That's the joy of it, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread