+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

FORT Fogey

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

I liked the kidnapped by the kids idea - some parents have no idea, and pawn off their kids until it's too late to develop a relationship.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4138318;
    I do like Oprah, however, I don't think she has worked any harder than many other women for the last 25 years or even longer. I think that single parents trying to raise children on a limited income and run a household also have a huge job with lots of stress.

A while back she was on this kick about how positive thoughts and energy would make you successful and how you could bring success to your life. She featured books on the topic. I forget their names. Perhaps that is true to a certain extent, however, bad things happen to good and positive people. Very good and positive people can work hard and struggle their entire lives and not get the financial success that Oprah has. I don't buy that it was because they didn't follow their dream or want it enough. I think there are other people who are just as talented and driven as Oprah, but just were not at the right place at the right time.
    I don't see the comparison of working parents to a corporate giant like Oprah to work. As I see it, the both work hard, but the kind of sacrifices they make (and the rewards they get) are entirely different. Someone who rises to a level like Oprah sacrifices most of the things that working parents do not. When most people say "I'm going to home to watch the Super Bowl" or "I'm going to spend the holidays with my family" they're at work.

At the same time, while Oprah can buy most anything in the world she wants to have, I know that as I grow old, I'll have my children by my side taking care of me like I take care of them. Oprah has friends, who are all around her same age (I do to). But if they go first, she'll be alone and I'll still have my kids. She can have her money, and I'll keep my hard work.

I like Oprah. The network is okay. A few of the shows are interesting but overall I'm not blown away by it. I do like the behind-the-scenes show and will watch Christina Ferrare as well. I think it's interesting however that she has great disdain for reality tv and some of her shows are just that except they are dysfunctional and famous. lol

I think the network will do better as more is added. I do wonder if they put it on a little too soon as it looks like most of it is repeats. When they get more shows going and fill out the schedule it should be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4138318;
    I do like Oprah, however, I don't think she has worked any harder than many other women for the last 25 years or even longer. I think that single parents trying to raise children on a limited income and run a household also have a huge job with lots of stress.

A while back she was on this kick about how positive thoughts and energy would make you successful and how you could bring success to your life. She featured books on the topic. I forget their names. Perhaps that is true to a certain extent, however, bad things happen to good and positive people. Very good and positive people can work hard and struggle their entire lives and not get the financial success that Oprah has. I don't buy that it was because they didn't follow their dream or want it enough. I think there are other people who are just as talented and driven as Oprah, but just were not at the right place at the right time.
    Hard work, positive attitude all contribute to the sucess that Oprah has had but LUCK plays a HUGE part in it also. There's no doubt that she's put her whole self into her work and she is reaping the rewards. I don't begrudge her any of the good things she has but personally, it's not a life I would want, no matter how much money she has. A good husband, kids, grandchildren, and the ability to go anywhere, anytime, with anyone is far more important to me but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4139089;
    Hard work, positive attitude all contribute to the sucess that Oprah has had but LUCK plays a HUGE part in it also. There's no doubt that she's put her whole self into her work and she is reaping the rewards. I don't begrudge her any of the good things she has but personally, it's not a life I would want, no matter how much money she has. A good husband, kids, grandchildren, and the ability to go anywhere, anytime, with anyone is far more important to me but to each his own.

You have that right! I would never want my life so public, no matter what money it brought. It's not worth it IMO.

Oh, what many say about having kids by your side in your old age should be reconsidered. I know all families differ, but, I visited a great aunt in the rest home over the holidays. I have gone to see her several times. It seems that having kids or a spouse, doesn't guarantee you company in your old age. Many elderly people are left in those homes without any family coming to visit, save one day a year. It really makes you wonder. How can you forget about your parents that way. Quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4140442;
    You have that right! I would never want my life so public, no matter what money it brought. It's not worth it IMO.

Oh, what many say about having kids by your side in your old age should be reconsidered. I know all families differ, but, I visited a great aunt in the rest home over the holidays. I have gone to see her several times. It seems that having kids or a spouse, doesn't guarantee you company in your old age. Many elderly people are left in those homes without any family coming to visit, save one day a year. It really makes you wonder. How can you forget about your parents that way. Quite sad.
    Isn't that the saddest thing ever?? I've seen that also and it's so depressing. I don't think you can ever get a guarantee that family will always be there for you but it's nice to think that for the most part they are the ones that would be.
    Also, I wouldn't want Oprah's life if it meant everytime I went out with my best girlfriend I'd be called a lesbian. Sheesh.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I'm still waiting to hear some news about a Rosie O'Donnell show on OWN. Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm a big Rosie fan and really enjoy her on tv, especially when she appears on these talk type shows.

FORT Fanatic

Lisa de Moraes, who writes a TV column for the Wash. Post has written a hilarious column on page C-1 today about the endless press conference by Oprah Winfrey promoting her new network. It went on and on and on. I don't know how to post a link. "Nearly an hour of psycho-babble about what it's like to be Oprah - and the vessel from God who uses TV as a vehicle for the betterment of mankind but who does not allow TV to be on in in her house." Lisa calls the press conference a 'verbal siege.'

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4141284;
    "Nearly an hour of psycho-babble about what it's like to be Oprah - and the vessel from God who uses TV as a vehicle for the betterment of mankind but who does not allow TV to be on in in her house." Lisa calls the press conference a 'verbal siege.'
    That's really odd. She owes everything she has to TV and yet she won't allow it to be on in her house???

Oprah has done a lot of good in this world, much more than many others who have similar resources. I do hope the OWN channel is different from other TV, and that it is successful.

It does appear that Oprah is getting bad advice about how to jump start OWN. It is a little too frivolous, and too much self aggrandizing babble from Oprah. She has done better in the past, and I trust she'll get her feet under her on this one. I hope so!
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

+ Reply to Thread