+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

What happened to Rhonda?!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    What happened to Rhonda?!
    I will be as kind as possible with my choice of words. After SO ended, various boards went crazy with talk of Rhonda and it was terrible. The old Starting Over board was also like that. I always liked her and didn't believe it, but then I started following Rhonda's blog. IT was scary. They said many unflattering things about her not being what she appeared. I'll leave it at that.

First she was displaced after the show. It appeared her career was in a slump, so she moved to Colorado with the guy she had labeled Mr. Right. She was dating him at the end of the SO series. All was good for a short while, but then you could read that there was trouble. Soon there was a big breakup on his part. She was devastated to say the least. At first she was philosophical, then she got angry. It was the worst case of being obsessed I have ever seen. Her on-line diary was off the charts. It should have been put in a private journal, IMO. As a life coash, it was shocking to see. She was livid that he cut off contact with his young child too. She could not accept it and turned her words against him and it was nasty. Readers were concerned all over. Then she got depressed and that was scary too.

Later on her young nephew commited suicide. It was a huge shock as she was close to the boy. She blogged about how she dealt with it and the breakup. I don't think she was able to work for a good while and she described going to live with a family member. I wonder what happened to her, but think she may have rebounded. I wish her well. From what I read of her own words, I think she could best serve herself by being under a coach or therapist herself for a good while.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd be surprised if she had rebounded with any kind of quickness. She had a rough life growing up, if I recall correctly. Lots of abuse. I know many people will not like what I'm about to say, but I've always heard/noticed that people in the psych arena of work are none too stable, and that is sad.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'd be surprised if she had rebounded with any kind of quickness. She had a rough life growing up, if I recall correctly. Lots of abuse. I know many people will not like what I'm about to say, but I've always heard/noticed that people in the psych arena of work are none too stable, and that is sad.
    Oh, I didn't know that about people who work in the mental health field. I actually think Rhonda is a life coach only. I don't recall her having any degree in psychology.

I do know she had a very touch childhood and that at a young age she witnessed her father shoot her mother and then himself. How she ever got to the point she did is beyond me. She has certainly seen much trama. I do wish her the best.

I know many people will not like what I'm about to say, but I've always heard/noticed that people in the psych arena of work are none too stable, and that is sad.
    I completely agree with you. Not that all mental health professionals are wacko by any means -- I respect the profession -- but friends of mine who were the most psychologically unbalanced were the ones who wanted to be therapists.

And Debb, I used to visit the SO boards, too. Now that was a crazy forum. Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I completely agree with you. Not that all mental health professionals are wacko by any means -- I respect the profession -- but friends of mine who were the most psychologically unbalanced were the ones who wanted to be therapists.

And Debb, I used to visit the SO boards, too. Now that was a crazy forum. Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread.
    Welcome! It's good to see someone from the old SO boards. It was very hot when SO was in it's prime. I do think the new program that Oprah is starting with Iyanla is going to be somewhat like it. I hope it does well.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I've heard the same thing. Some of them are nuttier than the patients they treat, and some of them over-medicate their patients. Thankfully there are newer treatments out there to help some through treatment such as cognitive behaviour therapy.

I think that people who suffer trauma often get some help, get somewhat better and feel that they have the "inside track" about trauma and the best way to get over those issues. They feel that it will be their mission to help someone else, especially when they "know" how it feels. That's human nature. Don't most of us give advice based on what we know/have experienced?
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I have heard (and have also seen for myself) that many people with psychiatric issues/problems are drawn toward the psychiatry and psychology fields for their own careers. I think that partially explains why many psych workers seem to be a little 'off' themselves. Because they ARE.

Kind of like the saying "Physician, treat thyself!". They go into the field to work on themselves. Many of them end up doing hideous things.

I always worry when somebody says they want to go into psychology/psychiatry. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop, holding my breath..
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If you haven't checked out "Iyanla, Fix My Life", you are missing some satisfaction! The "old" Iyanla, from the Starting Over days is back!! She not only deals with different people, but she makes you (well, me, anyway) go inside yourself and ask questions. Talk about "Things that make you go hmmm...."

Also saw her on a couple of Lifeclasses, with Oprah, and there was plenty to reflect on there, too. I'd never seen any of the Lifeclasses before. Iyanla is one amazing woman.
    ness, Shoepie, Imperfect1 and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread