+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Does anyone remember the reality show called Starting Over? It was canceled years ago when it was on NBC. It was an excellent show that combined the drama of a reality show, with an inspiration show. Women were taped as they lived in a beautiful house in LA and received coaching and counseling. The goal was to deal with personal demons and overcome pain from the past. One of those coaches was Iyanla Vanzandt. A version of that show would work great on OWN IMO. AND a visit down memory lane where they do updates on past residents of Starting Over would also be nice to see.

I just think the sky is the limit on the creative programming they could come up with. Something is just not right with OWN.

Case in point. Do you recall one of the first shows they aired? It was the Rosey O'Donell variety/talk show. Most everything about that show was odd, save Rosey who did the best she could, but the look of the set was very boring and old fashioned. The music was odd. The announcer was odd. The layout of the show was awkward. Everything was like it was from the 1970's. It was not from this era. Maybe the person who was responsible for that was let go. But I think Oprah needs to evaluate who the people around her are and whether they are as talented as she thinks they are. Where are the good ideas?
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-20-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Does anyone remember the reality show called Starting Over? It was canceled years ago when it was on NBC. It was an excellent show that combined the drama of a reality show, with an inspiration show. Women were taped as they lived in a beautiful house in LA and received coaching and counseling. The goal was to deal with personal demons and overcome pain from the past. One of those coaches was Iyanla Vanzandt. A version of that show would work great on OWN IMO. AND a visit down memory lane where they do updates on past residents of Starting Over would also be nice to see.

I just think the sky is the limit on the creative programming they could come up with. Something is just not right with OWN.

Case in point. Do you recall one of the first shows they aired? It was the Rosey O'Donell variety/talk show. Most everything about that show was odd, save Rosey who did the best she could, but the look of the set was very boring and old fashioned. The music was odd. The announcer was odd. The layout of the show was awkward. Everything was like it was from the 1970's. It was not from this era. Maybe the person who was responsible for that was let go. But I think Oprah needs to evaluate who the people around her are and whether they are as talented as she thinks they are. Where are the good ideas?
    You've made some excellent points, Debb. Yes, I remember Starting Over very well and was a HUGE fan of the show, and I LOVED Iyanla in her role as one of the mentors-life coaches on the show. I would love to see something like that on OWN. And by the way, I wonder why Oprah isn't taking more advantage of having Iyanla back, and putting her on the air more often.

Totally agree about the Rosie O'Donnell Show too. I am a huge Rosie fan, and kept feeling that everything about the show was just 'off' somehow. The set was totally wrong, the mechanics of the show were weird, no one seemed to know what they were doing, even the lighting and coloring were strange. The only thing that was great was Rosie herself. It broke my heart when OWN made the decision to take her off the air because I think, as you suggested, they may have needed a BEHIND the scenes change instead.

I am really hoping that Oprah can get the help and support OWN needs because I adore her, and I like the idea of her having a network because of the possibilities of all of the fabulous programming she could bring to the viewers. Even now, I LOVE her Sunday programming. Her Super Soul Sunday, Oprah's Next Chapter, Oprah's Lifeclass, and her other Sunday programming are all top notch!

FORT Fogey

I think the reason they didn't make behind the scenes changes before cancelling Rosie was that keeping things the same behind the scenes was the motivation for creating the show in the first place. When Oprah decided to end her show and start OWN, I think that maintaining some presence in Chicago was a big concern for her. She knew she was headed out to California, and knew her top executives were following her out there. But she also knew she had a lot of staff members who did not have an option of following her to Calfornia, and had established lives in Chicago. Not to mention that she had some big real estate in Chicago with the Harpo studio. I think Oprah was motivated by saving those Chicago ties to find a talk show that could be produced from that studio, using those staffers. She wanted to get someone who was a big enough name to make a spalsh right off the bat, but someone who was down on their luck enough professionally to accept the job on Oprah's terms - including the filiming location and a lot of the staffing. To her, Rosie was the perfect fit because the audience loved her, but she'd burned enough bridges professionally that she'd willingly grab on to Oprah's life vest. On paper, it was a great idea. But the way that Oprah ran a show and the way that Rosie runs a show are so incredibly different that the same people didn't work well. Since Oprah's focus was saving the people, once that didn't work out, holding on to Rosie wasn't as attractive anymore.
    Shoepie likes this.

Oh, I don't think Rosey was the problem, I think it was everything surrounding the show that was off. Basically, it was a second rate program with the sound, lights, set, music, etc. It didn't even sound like it was recorded in stereo! Rosie looked wonderful and was great, but everything around her was odd. How could they have left an Oprah set that was first class, top notich, modern and come up with that set they used to tape Rosie? Too bizarre.
    Shoepie likes this.

Oh, I don't think Rosey was the problem, I think it was everything surrounding the show that was off. Basically, it was a second rate program with the sound, lights, set, music, etc. It didn't even sound like it was recorded in stereo! Rosie looked wonderful and was great, but everything around her was odd. How could they have left an Oprah set that was first class, top notich, modern and come up with that set they used to tape Rosie? Too bizarre.
    I thought Rose had a lot of say , as to what went into her show ( including some staff etc) I don't care for Rosie, so I didn't care if she stayed or left
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I miss the Rosie of old. I am a fan of an opinionated woman.
    Shoepie and Debb70 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You know about Rosie's heart problem, right? It's on the Celebrity Gossip thread.

Does anyone remember the reality show called Starting Over? It was canceled years ago when it was on NBC.
    I loved that show, especially the first season when it was filmed in Chicago and before Iyanla joined as a coach. You're right, it would be a perfect fit for OWN. I like Iyanla but her personality is so forceful that it sucks the air out of the room. After she joined Starting Over, her coaching sessions began to dominate the show and we didn't see as much interaction between the women themselves. It was the same thing on one recent OWN show where Iyanla went in to a fix a feuding family, but did most of the talking.

Also, Debb, I think you're onto something with Oprah needing to reevaluate her team. Watching "Oprah: Behind the Scenes," it struck me how similar all her producers were. They all shared the same approach to their work, the same perspective on things, they had similar personalities. That's either a sign of a brilliant leader whose team is aligned with her vision ... or a cultish epistemic closure in which the lieutenants censor any idea that doesn't align with what their leader already knows and expects.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I loved that show, especially the first season when it was filmed in Chicago and before Iyanla joined as a coach. You're right, it would be a perfect fit for OWN. I like Iyanla but her personality is so forceful that it sucks the air out of the room. After she joined Starting Over, her coaching sessions began to dominate the show and we didn't see as much interaction between the women themselves. It was the same thing on one recent OWN show where Iyanla went in to a fix a feuding family, but did most of the talking.
    As it turns out, in that show that you're referring to, where Iyanla did a life-coaching session in someone's home, the reason that Iyanla did most of the talking was because it was the pilot episode of the Iyanla show. The new show is called "Iyanla, Fix My Life" and starts on OWN at the end of September. I love Iyanla and I agree that she is a very, very strong personality. But, she is also an extremely gifted life-coach --- and it amazes me how she cuts through all of the BS and has the ability to see what's really going on with someone. She's amazingly effective, and has helped a lot of people. I'm thrilled that she'll be on OWN on a regular basis, and I hopes her show does well. It IS a perfect fit for OWN.
    prhoshay and Debb70 like this.

I got a lot of therapy watching Starting Over. I do think the show kind of got out of hand at one point. It started to become obvious that there was some staging going on and some houseguests came on the show for the wrong reasons. Still, it was the highlight of my day for awhile.

Another life coach, Rhonda Britten, took a strange path. I followed her for awhile and she seemed to go off the deep end. When posters would say she was nuts while the show was filiming, I thought they were just being mean, but later, I saw what they meant. I hope she has found her way back and is okay.

+ Reply to Thread