+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Money may not buy you happiness, but it's makes being miserable more bearable.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I have nothing against Oprah.
    I have always admired her drive and what she made of herself.
    I think what many were disappointed with, myself included, is that Oprah said many years ago when she was still on Broadcast TV that she was not going to stoop to the type of shows - exploitative, etc. - that so many had before her. She turned, then, to inspirational shows designed to guarantee that you, too, could gain a better life if you just watched / listened to Oprah.
    Then, she buys her own network - literally and figuratively - and proceeds to turn it into yet another Reality Show network and, when that doesn't work, she'll go ahead and interview the "E" celebrity of the week.
    Oprah has definitely turned into a combo of Jerry Springer and Maury Povich, IMO.
    I'm just glad I don't get the OWN channel on my cable lineup.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I have nothing against Oprah.
    I have always admired her drive and what she made of herself.
    I think what many were disappointed with, myself included, is that Oprah said many years ago when she was still on Broadcast TV that she was not going to stoop to the type of shows - exploitative, etc. - that so many had before her. She turned, then, to inspirational shows designed to guarantee that you, too, could gain a better life if you just watched / listened to Oprah.
    Then, she buys her own network - literally and figuratively - and proceeds to turn it into yet another Reality Show network and, when that doesn't work, she'll go ahead and interview the "E" celebrity of the week.
    Oprah has definitely turned into a combo of Jerry Springer and Maury Povich, IMO.
    I'm just glad I don't get the OWN channel on my cable lineup.
    Don't wish to disagree with you norealityhere, but the Oprah shows are NOTHING like Jerry Springer or Maury Povich. When Oprah said she wasn't going to "stoop to that type of show" she was referring to the types of shows that have 'haters' (like for example, the NeoNazis, Skinheads, + other extreme bigots, etc) spewing their venom, or shows that pit one person against the other (like family members who hate each other, or the "who's the daddy?" or incest shows, or other hateful, negative, debasing shows like that). She wasn't referring to merely interviewing celebrities and other people of interest. I am really surprised that someone would compare her to Jerry Springer and Maury Povich because those are the exact types of shows that THEY do, not Oprah! ALMOST EVERY TALK SHOW ON THE AIR interviews celebrities!!! What could possibly make someone want to criticize one tv host (in this case, Oprah) for interviewing celebrities? And of course the host would choose someone current, because that's who the viewing audience is interested in seeing.
    prhoshay and AcookerTV like this.

I think Oprah is one of the best interviewers I have seen for a very long time. Katie Couric, Jeff Probst & Ricki Lake all have their own talk show coming up. I guess they are trying to fill a void where Oprah left .So far, no one compares.

I certainly dont see OWN as a reality network.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think Oprah needs to find someone like Andy Cohen to help her. She doesn't have to do a fight show like Housewives, but she needs someone like him to help her get some creative programing. Bravo has the very successful shows such as Million Dollar Listings for NY and LA. It's huge now. They took those shows and ran with them, right over HGTV, who formerly had the market on that type of show.

Bravo also has Top Chef, which is huge too. Andy Cohen has a late night talk show that is very popular and many big stars appear as guest, whether they are into reality tv or not. Flipping Out is a big hit and they have a new show called Gallery Girls that is about NY girls in the Art business. It's geared for a young set. VERY odd characters.

I just think Oprah needs some fresh eyes and some creative minds helping her. Maybe she has things in the works. I hope so.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-17-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Shoepie, Imperfect1 and AcookerTV like this.

FORT Fogey

I agree Debb. She has to let go of the notion that her network can be dedicated to inspirational shows, only. Have some, but branch out and give us some entertainment. Reality shows that are the calibur of Top Chef and Project Runway would be good. Show skilled people competing for a good prize.
    prhoshay likes this.

FORT Fogey

That is a great idea Deb! It occured to me reading that some of the problem with OWN is that it's run by a woman who openly admits she doesn't watch much TV and doesn't care for a lot of what is on TV. She is programming to her likes and dislikes, trying to get a bunch of frequent TV watchers to tune in, but she'd rather be reading books! The mention of Andy Cohen is a good one, since he will readily admit that in many ways, he would be in the audience he's trying to reach if he didn't have the job he does.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

A show patterened after The View and The Talk, do interviews (she is better than Barbara by far), an interesting game show...

She made Dr Phil, Nate and Dr Oz. Go after more professionals that have things to offer. Just no singing competitions! Get shows that have been cancelled on other networks like 3. Just because a show is cancelled doesn't mean it won't work for her. A serious dating show. There are many options open for her.

She has nothing to lose at this point other than some terrible programing left over from DHC!

Did anyone catch Oprah's interview with Rhianna last night? I ran across it, but I don't care for Rhianna, so I didn't check it out. She comes in the category of marginally talented people, who are a huge success and I can't figure out why. I really wish she would go away.

I heard that there is quite a backlash because it seemed to promote a domestic violence victim who is still hung up on her abuser. I don't fault Oprah for that. She just asks the questions. The responses are not her responsiblity, although, it's difficult to believe that Oprah didn't preach her a little sermon. You know how Oprah says "Pay attention when someone shows you who they are. That is who they are." I don't think Rhianna knows that. She's still operating in the domestic violence cycle, where she believes the abuse's lies of remorse and then it starts all over. She should have wised up by now. I don't have any desire to watch her destruct.

FORT Fogey

I didn't watch all of the interview, but i watched some of it. I think that Oprah has kind of painted herself into a corner with this one. You are right that she just asks the questions, she doesn't control the answers. To that point, Oprah gets a lot of credit for getting Rhianna so comfortable that she was willing to be that honest. However, Oprah did build a reputation for herself as being sort of a wise mentor to many women in Hollywood. On her show, she did interviews with people like Jennifer Hudson, Jennifer Anniston, or the Octomom where when they'd try to justify bad decisions they made, Oprah would hold their feet to the fire and push them to recognize the accoutability they held themselves for the problems. For her to give Rhianna the platform to say she still cares for Chris Brown and was worried about what the incident did to HIS reputation was insightful in seeing the mindset of an abused woman, but didn't really go very far in re-inforcing that Oprah could show better so she'd do better.
    Shoepie, Debb70 and AlwaysVeg like this.

+ Reply to Thread