+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I agree with you on celebrity interviews. I don't really like them either. I think where Oprah might be going wrong is that her programming is trying too hard to give people life lessons, and the result is a kind of pretentious navel-gazing. I was looking forward to the series on The Judds, but it was so thick with psychotherapy that it became a self-parody. I wanted to scream, "Sometimes a doughnut is just a doughnut!" Likewise, the series with Sarah Ferguson was just a string of contrived "introspections" that got repetitive after the second episode. The shows were like being forced to eat vegetables.

On the other hand, I love "Welcome to Sweetie Pie's." That's like eating banana pudding.
    Absolutely! Her habit of plucking ridiculous epiphanies from other people, that she then feels the need to repeat multiple times and make them her own, is laughable. Her need to high five everyone over stuff like that drives me nuts. You're an adult and not an athlete. Enough with the high fiving. I also always hate her proselytizing about how money isn't important. Maybe money doesn't buy you happiness, but that sentiment feels a bit disingenuous coming from someone who LIVES on the Forbes 500 list. Personally, I'd like to earn $50M per year so I can test her little theory.

So yeah....not a fan of Oprah
    Shoepie, Allie and nennie like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Absolutely! Her habit of plucking ridiculous epiphanies from other people, that she then feels the need to repeat multiple times and make them her own, is laughable. Her need to high five everyone over stuff like that drives me nuts. You're an adult and not an athlete. Enough with the high fiving. I also always hate her proselytizing about how money isn't important. Maybe money doesn't buy you happiness, but that sentiment feels a bit disingenuous coming from someone who LIVES on the Forbes 500 list. Personally, I'd like to earn $50M per year so I can test her little theory.

So yeah....not a fan of Oprah
    I like to learn things from other people's lives that are so, basically, sensible it is ridiculous. People live different lives and have many different experiences from what I have gone through. I like picking up "little nuggets" from other people. Oprah has left me with little nuggets that have stuck with me. Dr. Phil has left me with little nuggets; Iyanla has left me with nuggets. If I just get a thing or two of value from any person, I am all the better.

I would love to have access to her money, for sure, but I also realize "more money, more problems!" I'm just glad that I am satisfied with the simpler things in life. I have learned that lots of money will not fill up a gaping hole that's inside of me. Pretty soon, I'd get bored and run out of things to buy!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have loved Oprah for a long time. The only thing that really bothered me about her was that at times she seemed to imply that people can make anything happen if they try hard enough. So that if you believe in yourself enough, you will become successful and obtain your dreams. Well, that's not necessarily true. I know very good people who worked their entire life and had the best attitude, prayer, etc., but they never were able to have things in life they wanted. Sometimes things just don't work out no matter how much you work for it and to imply that they just didn't try hard enough is insulting.

Anyway, there was one time I was disappointed with Oprah when she conducted an interview with the young boy who was rescued from a man who had abducted him years earlier and sexually abused him. He had hardly been returned home when he went on Oprah. That felt unkind and abusive IMO and I still can't believe she did it.

Then last night I see her interviewing Kim Kardashian.........OMG. Why would she stoop so low? I can hardly believe it. Even she is not desperate enough to do that. Who is advising her? She needs some new advisors, ASAP.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I don't understand why people think that nowadays Oprah shouldn't interview celebrities and other people who have come into the spotlight. She has been interviewing celebrities and others for 20+ years. What is the big deal with her interviewing the Kardashians? They're celebrities who originated from "reality tv." Millions of people are interested in them. I watched both Parts 1 and 2 of her Kardashian interviews and thought the shows were interesting and nicely done.

Some people seem to be asking too much of Oprah. She's a fabulous woman who has not only made an incredible success of her own life, but one who has given of herself endlessly and done phenominal things for thousands of people. She doesn't represent herself as some kind of nun or religious leader. She's just a person who is trying to live her life as best as she can (literally), and she devotes a lot of her air time to seeking information for herself and others to learn how to live their best lives, and one of her greatest pleasures is to share this information with as many people as she can. That doesn't mean that she can't have other types of programming as well. Ordinary, 'entertainment' programming. I don't think she should be held to any different standard than anyone else on tv. I love her spiritual programming and I also enjoy the other kinds of programming she's offered us throughout the years. The more the better. Good for her. Why don't we, instead, focus our attention on people who are devotiong themselves to CAUSING HARM TO PEOPLE, and criticize them.
    prhoshay and Shoepie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I don't understand why people think that nowadays Oprah shouldn't interview celebrities and other people who have come into the spotlight. She has been interviewing celebrities and others for 20+ years. What is the big deal with her interviewing the Kardashians? They're celebrities who originated from "reality tv." Millions of people are interested in them. I watched both Parts 1 and 2 of her Kardashian interviews and thought the shows were interesting and nicely done.

Some people seem to be asking too much of Oprah. She's a fabulous woman who has not only made an incredible success of her own life, but one who has given of herself endlessly and done phenominal things for thousands of people. She doesn't represent herself as some kind of nun or religious leader. She's just a person who is trying to live her life as best as she can (literally), and she devotes a lot of her air time to seeking information for herself and others to learn how to live their best lives, and one of her greatest pleasures is to share this information with as many people as she can. That doesn't mean that she can't have other types of programming as well. Ordinary, 'entertainment' programming. I don't think she should be held to any different standard than anyone else on tv. I love her spiritual programming and I also enjoy the other kinds of programming she's offered us throughout the years. The more the better. Good for her. Why don't we, instead, focus our attention on people who are devotiong themselves to CAUSING HARM TO PEOPLE, and criticize them.
    I wish I could like this post ten times. Very well said. I like Oprah.I always have, and that wont change, no matter who she interviews.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I have no issue with the celebrity interviews. I don't care for most of them, but with Kim Kardashian it's not that she is a celebrity. IT's that she is famous for nothing, but lying and being a diva. That entire "fake, will sell my soul and family for cash and fame" crew is a turn off to me and I refuse to watch them on anything. I've stressed my specific issues with anything "K" on their thread here, so I won't go into it here.

When Kim was recently a guest on Drop Dead Diva for a few episodes, the writers were shocked that so many fans protested and threatened to boycott the show. I wonder how well Oprah's ratings were with KK on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have no issue with the celebrity interviews. I don't care for most of them, but with Kim Kardashian it's not that she is a celebrity. IT's that she is famous for nothing, but lying and being a diva. That entire "fake, will sell my soul and family for cash and fame" crew is a turn off to me and I refuse to watch them on anything. I've stressed my specific issues with anything "K" on their thread here, so I won't go into it here.

When Kim was recently a guest on Drop Dead Diva for a few episodes, the writers were shocked that so many fans protested and threatened to boycott the show. I wonder how well Oprah's ratings were with KK on there.
    Good- her ratings were good. Because O doesn't softball them, and she didn't disappoint. I am not fan of the Kardashian but many people are, otherwise their show wouldn't still be on the air. Look at that strange creature Snookie. While I have nothing good to say about Kim, I have even less to say about her
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I would agree with you that Kim is famous essentially for doing nothing, but the fact that description includes the word "famous" means that she is in fact a celebrity. I actually enjoyed the interview that Oprah did with the Kardashains. I thought she did a really good job of asking them tougher questions, like the idea that they're famous for nothing, or that Kris has sold her kids for wealth and fame. She didn't let them skate by with glowing adoration, but she was also respectful. I think that she handled the interview in a tone that got them to be more honest and introspective, and it was well done.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And Oprah has always been, somewhat, starstruck!! That always makes me giggle. OPRAH would be the one who makes me starstruck!!

I totally love her and her brain!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Viewers are not flocking to her channel because the programing is poor. People were inspired by her and she changed lives but that wasn't due to inspirational show topics. It was all about Oprah being herself in many varied situations. You cannot teach inspiration. Only having the likes of Tony, Maya, Iyanla etc is not going to build her network. Watching her be herself is what did it for people. She would have ah ha moments when she least expected it and pass that nugget on.

I had her on my DVR and watched a small percentage of her shows but there were many who didn't miss one. That is her demographic and she lost it. I just don't think her network is going to fly unless or until she has a line up of entertaining programing on many topics.
    I tried to give it a chance, but grew tired of it. There is just nothing on the channel that interests me. I don't care about Oprah interviewing people, or her "Life inspirations." Whenever I happen to flick past the channel now, it looks more like reality TV with someone crying about their situation.

+ Reply to Thread