+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    It is clear that it takes a long time to change over an existing network to new programing. This is what is happening; she didn't start a new network, literally.

So Rosie had low ratings, why not give it time? She says it will take her 3 years to get OWN rolling. I think there was more to The Rosie Show's cancellation than low ratings. Certainly there was time and space to give it more of a try. The endless repeats cannot have had better ratings. I like Rosie but I know that she is difficult to work with or has been in the past anyway. She wanted to move the show to NY because it was difficult to co parent her children as Kelly still lives there. I think there was more than low ratings afoot.
    I guess that could have been the case, however, if you are aren't doing a live show and are just interviewing celebs, then IMO, NY makes more sense. It seems you would have closer access to the stars if you filmed in NY, instead of them having to fly to Chicago. Yes, the stars gadly flew there for Oprah, but that's over now. I can see how NY would make more sense.

FORT Fogey

NY makes more sense for Rosie because of her kids but stars fly all over the place for exposure. You only get the big ones if they are promoting a movie and have a contractual agreement to do so. In that case they would go to Chicago if production deemed it valid. Rosie has a controversial reputation and smaller audience so I dont know if NY would work for her in this format either. There are very few big stars who want to spend that much time on an in depth interview. Ellen, Kelly Ripa or a morning show is a quick in and out.

I wish Rosie do her original format on a network again. Not sure if anyone trusts her anymore after her stint on The View, though. I would put her on my DVR in a heartbeat.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Have you been watching Oprah's Lifetour? I really loved the first episode (there are 6 in total) with Oprah and Iyanla VanZandt. So insightful and I learned so much about myself! The next one will be with Oprah and Tony Robbins.

And the best news is that Iyanla VanZandt will now have her own show on OWN starting this summer! I'm really excited because this woman is FABULOUS! A great teacher, and a pleasure to watch! Lots of laughter, lots of tears, lots of deep understanding, and some real insight into how we can make our own lives better.

FORT Fogey

I know nothing of Iyanla before now. She made sense on this show; I would have liked to hear more of her input. I am looking forward to her show.

I saw Tony's first show and was disappointed. I like him and his message but this extreme example was not interesting to me. I would rather hear him talk and not "fix" someone who has a problem way out of reach of so many.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I heard on the news this morning that OWN and Comcast are negotiating a deal to include the channel in Comcast's lineup, potentially adding millions of new viewers.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

I have Comcast and have been getting OWN since the beginning....so maybe certain regions will be added but mine in New England already includes it

FORT Fogey

Viewers are not flocking to her channel because the programing is poor. People were inspired by her and she changed lives but that wasn't due to inspirational show topics. It was all about Oprah being herself in many varied situations. You cannot teach inspiration. Only having the likes of Tony, Maya, Iyanla etc is not going to build her network. Watching her be herself is what did it for people. She would have ah ha moments when she least expected it and pass that nugget on.

I had her on my DVR and watched a small percentage of her shows but there were many who didn't miss one. That is her demographic and she lost it. I just don't think her network is going to fly unless or until she has a line up of entertaining programing on many topics.

FORT Fogey

I agree with you Shoepie. I think that what Oprah has discovered with OWN is that the Oprah shows she enjoyed doing were the inspirational "make your life better" shows, but the ones that viewers enjoyed were the celebrity interviews and have fun shows. I also recorded it each day. Most of the time when the topic was an inspiratonal one, I'd delete it. But anytime there was a celebrity interview, favorite things, etc, I'd watch. Many years ago, Paul Newman said that when it came to making movies, he'd make one for them and then one for him - meaning he'd go back and forth between movies that would make a lot of money, and movies that he'd enjoy making and be proud of. I think that Oprah may have taken the same approach to her show. She did it thinking that the audience was drawn to what she loved doing, when the audience was really drawn to what she did in order to do what she loved.
    Shoepie likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am so not about celebrity interviews, for the most part. I prefer shows that give you something new to think about. Every now and then, that will include a celebrity, but not very often. Most of them are vapid, overpaid, over-exposed, and useless.
    nennie, Debb70 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree with you on celebrity interviews. I don't really like them either. I think where Oprah might be going wrong is that her programming is trying too hard to give people life lessons, and the result is a kind of pretentious navel-gazing. I was looking forward to the series on The Judds, but it was so thick with psychotherapy that it became a self-parody. I wanted to scream, "Sometimes a doughnut is just a doughnut!" Likewise, the series with Sarah Ferguson was just a string of contrived "introspections" that got repetitive after the second episode. The shows were like being forced to eat vegetables.

On the other hand, I love "Welcome to Sweetie Pie's." That's like eating banana pudding.
    Critical likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread