+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Gail is now one of the anchors on CBS's morning show. She isn't doing her old interview show on OWN any more. And by the way, I sincerely doubt that the offer from CBS had anything to do with Gail being Oprah's friend. She got that job on her own merits, and good for her. I happen to like her and find her enjoyable and a good interviewer.
    I think its a testament to very good friendship .Oprah &Gayle, that is, because they have had to put with so much crap, and mostly by women.
    Gayle has done her own thing long before she met Oprah. Both are accomplished women, I would take nothing away from either of them
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

[QUOTE=Fanny Mare;4447572]I think its a testament to very good friendship .Oprah &Gayle, that is, because they have had to put with so much crap, and mostly by women.
    Gayle has done her own thing long before she met Oprah. Both are accomplished women, I would take nothing away from either of them[/QUOTE

I agree. They both have worked very hard for what they have. I don't deny that. I just have a different take on Gayle's talents. Nice lady, but not a top rate on air news anchor. It's sad too, because I have heard her talk about how much she wanted that. Well, she's got it. I guess time will tell if it's all she thought and if she can hang onto it. I wish her well.

FORT Fogey

I think that Gayle has built her career by being related to as an "everywoman" type personality. Oprah used her on her own show as a voice that viewers could relate to. She (Oprah) recognized that being as rich and powerful as she was (not to mention unmarried and without children) there was a large segment of her audience that didn't look at Oprah and say "she's just like me". Gayle filled that role for Oprah, and then in her own shows. I don't think CBS hired her to be seen as a hard-hitting news woman. I don't think most of the men and women who do morning news shows are viewed as hard-hitting news people. I think CBS hired her to be someone that people could relate to, and who knows what she's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I recorded the Gaga interview to watch later. I really try to like her, but I have always gotten the feeling she is a miserable person and one day, we will find out about it. IMO when you go out and dress up in such a way that you can't enjoy yourself (9 inch heels) and you are are isolated, such as being in the egg, meat dress, etc., it's an attempt to isolate yourself from people. That must be lonely.
    I don't think she seems miserable at all. Sometimes, people are just theatrical and, apparently, she's been that way since she was little. I don't think she's happy all the time and she does have some sad things in her past (some of which she talks about in the interview), but don't we all? To me, she seems like just a nice, normal young woman....or as normal as she can be while dealing with super stardom. I think that if she's lonely at all, it has to do with the isolation of being very famous.

Gaga seems to have a great head on her shoulders for someone who's so young. I especially admired how she doesn't want to be exposed to any of her own press. If it's good, it gives you an ego and if it's bad, it's just upsetting. She also seems to have a great support system around her who tell her the truth. The other thing I liked was the rule that, for every picture of hers in her parents' house, there had to be one of her sister. From what I saw, her sister is pretty talented too!

I normally am okay with Gayle, although I don't watch her on the morning show. I just found her irritating on that Paula Deen episode. She felt like a third wheel.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Apparently, canceling Rosie's show was just the beginning:
    Oprah Winfrey Bloodbath at OWN

First Rosie ... now TMZ has learned roughly 30 people got the chop at the Oprah Winfrey Network today ... including 2 high level execs.

Sources connected to OWN tell us ... people from at least 3 departments were let go ... including the creative services dept., integrated marketing and promo scheduling.

We're told one of the casualties was the head of the Creative Services Department. Another was the Senior Vice President of Production.

One source tells us the group included people with years of experience in the industry as well as newcomers.

The timing is interesting ... considering O just cancelled Rosie O'Donnell's show. OWN has been struggling with low ratings since its launch.

One source tells us, "It's like a ghost town over there."

We're told, "They did the firings respectfully ... brought everyone into an office individually and explained the situation face to face."

Calls to OWN have not been returned.
    Oprah Winfrey's OWN Network -- BIG Layoffs | TMZ.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe you have to "clean house" sometimes, to put your house back together like you really want it to be? I guess time will tell.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm watching the Gaga interview again. This is a totally superficial observation, but since Oprah has more money than God, couldn't she buy a girdle or some high-waisted Spanx or something? The bra line from the back was tragic in several outfits she wore - just lumpy and bumpy and it made her tops hang oddly in the back. For as many episodes as she did on her show about finding the right bra, you'd think she would have done it by now!

With OWN, I think Oprah's ego just got the best of her. There is SO little original programming on the network, especially with Rosie's cancellation. I don't see how she can build a whole network from the ground up when she doesn't seem to have any ideas other than put herself in front of the camera and interview people like on her old show. I mean, I've enjoyed the episodes of Next Chapter that I've watched, but they just feel like very special episodes of her old show. I think Oprah definitely bit off more than she could chew. I won't be surprised if the network goes under.
    ibot2much, Debb70 and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

I have been thinking the same thing. A network is huge----lots of time to fill. I don't think O. realized how much programming she would have to come up with. Her own new show and Rosie seemed to be all she was working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I really enjoyed Next Chapter with Gaga. I'm a fan anyway, but it was cool to see her at home and with her mother. I have friends who think she's just a freak and don't know anything about her beyond "meat dress." I wish they'd watch that interview and see what she's really like. She seems like just a nice, normal person. I loved that her mother finally bought her a bed to sleep in at their house even though she said an air mattress was fine. That was an awfully nice apartment on the Upper West Side (3 levels) and they only bought it in '94. I wonder what her folks do for a living.

I know many people have compared her to Madonna and I think that's sort of unfair to Gaga. Madonna is great at promoting herself and being provocative, but Gaga's got the musical chops and the voice. Plus, from all accounts, she's a much nicer person than Madonna and MUCH more humble too.

I loved her talking about how the meat dress started to smell after a while at that awards show, but she kind of liked it because she hates talking to celebrities.The smell kept them away!

I watched NC the week before with Paula Deen but found her kind of annoying (admittedly, I'm not a fan) and found Gail tagging along everywhere to be even more annoying. In the beginning, PD being in her nightgown seemed "down home," but then I just wanted to yell "Put some clothes on!" I got the whole "goin' to the fishin' hole in our nighties and rubber boots" but I thought it looked silly when she just didn't change and wore that darned nightgown all day, even in the interview with Oprah.
    My 96 year old mother, who loves Paula Dean and had also enjoyed watching Oprah and thought her a very respectful interviewer, watched Oprah's NC with PD, but soon turned it off and said, "This is the stupidest show I have ever seen. Neither Oprah or Paula Dean have any respect for their viewers and just came across as plain silly and unprofessional!" I think she said it all and I agree.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Maybe you have to "clean house" sometimes, to put your house back together like you really want it to be? I guess time will tell.
    I agree. I just wish people would understand that it wasn't that Rosie was a horrible person and Oprah had to get rid of her. Oprah thanked Rosie and said she had done her best to make the show as good as possible. It was the ratings. Here's a link:
    Oprah Winfrey OWN Network Fires 30 Staff Members, Christian News

I have a question. Do you remember when Oprah did the Behind the Scenes shows of her show? Each one would show the head producer for that episode. We got to meet quite a few of them as they produced the show. I wonder how many of them were in that group that got fired. Just curious.

Certainly, Oprah can find some creative minds to produce great shows for her network.

Oh, Ilyanla VanZandt was on Wendy Williams last week and says she is starting a new show with OWN. Hmmmmm......

+ Reply to Thread