+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Gail is now one of the anchors on CBS's morning show. She isn't doing her old interview show on OWN any more. And by the way, I sincerely doubt that the offer from CBS had anything to do with Gail being Oprah's friend. She got that job on her own merits, and good for her. I happen to like her and find her enjoyable and a good interviewer.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I really enjoyed Next Chapter with Gaga. I'm a fan anyway, but it was cool to see her at home and with her mother. I have friends who think she's just a freak and don't know anything about her beyond "meat dress." I wish they'd watch that interview and see what she's really like. She seems like just a nice, normal person. I loved that her mother finally bought her a bed to sleep in at their house even though she said an air mattress was fine. That was an awfully nice apartment on the Upper West Side (3 levels) and they only bought it in '94. I wonder what her folks do for a living.

I know many people have compared her to Madonna and I think that's sort of unfair to Gaga. Madonna is great at promoting herself and being provocative, but Gaga's got the musical chops and the voice. Plus, from all accounts, she's a much nicer person than Madonna and MUCH more humble too.

I loved her talking about how the meat dress started to smell after a while at that awards show, but she kind of liked it because she hates talking to celebrities.The smell kept them away!

I watched NC the week before with Paula Deen but found her kind of annoying (admittedly, I'm not a fan) and found Gail tagging along everywhere to be even more annoying. In the beginning, PD being in her nightgown seemed "down home," but then I just wanted to yell "Put some clothes on!" I got the whole "goin' to the fishin' hole in our nighties and rubber boots" but I thought it looked silly when she just didn't change and wore that darned nightgown all day, even in the interview with Oprah.
    Last edited by Critical; 03-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I recorded the Gaga interview to watch later. I really try to like her, but I have always gotten the feeling she is a miserable person and one day, we will find out about it. IMO when you go out and dress up in such a way that you can't enjoy yourself (9 inch heels) and you are are isolated, such as being in the egg, meat dress, etc., it's an attempt to isolate yourself from people. That must be lonely.

Ref. Gayle King. It is my understanding that she left her show with Oprah to co-host the CBS Morning news (The Early Show). I know she has fans on these boards, but IMO she is not well suited for that position. I have watched her several times, but she is not right for that position.

I like GAyle a lot. I think she is a good person and quite charming, but she is not national news host material and it is quite clear. It boggles the mind that CBS gave her that position. I will NEVER get it. I also don't think she will be there for long. I'm sure she is trying her best. It's just not right and is uncomfortable IMO.
    momrek06 and AlwaysVeg like this.

I have recorded it .I really enjoy Gaga. Most of my friends cant stand her, or her music. Thanks Critical, now I am really looking forward to watching it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I recorded the Gaga interview to watch later. I really try to like her, but I have always gotten the feeling she is a miserable person and one day, we will find out about it. IMO when you go out and dress up in such a way that you can't enjoy yourself (9 inch heels) and you are are isolated, such as being in the egg, meat dress, etc., it's an attempt to isolate yourself from people. That must be lonely.

Ref. Gayle King. It is my understanding that she left her show with Oprah to co-host the CBS Morning news (The Early Show). I know she has fans on these boards, but IMO she is not well suited for that position. I have watched her several times, but she is not right for that position.

I like GAyle a lot. I think she is a good person and quite charming, but she is not national news host material and it is quite clear. It boggles the mind that CBS gave her that position. I will NEVER get it. I also don't think she will be there for long. I'm sure she is trying her best. It's just not right and is uncomfortable IMO.

Please elaborate on what you are talking about! I've not seen her on the morning show, since I am GMA devotee. I have been curious, though.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I think Gaga's parents own a restaurant.....so there was some money there

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

I like GAyle a lot. I think she is a good person and quite charming, but she is not national news host material and it is quite clear. It boggles the mind that CBS gave her that position. I will NEVER get it. I also don't think she will be there for long. I'm sure she is trying her best. It's just not right and is uncomfortable IMO
    This is it right here I stated on this thread that Gayle's show on OWN was horrible and I still feel that way . but that being said . I like her as a person BUT absolutely NOT as a talk show host in any capacity.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    [/B]

Please elaborate on what you are talking about! I've not seen her on the morning show, since I am GMA devotee. I have been curious, though.
    I see someone else has commented about Gayle on The Early Show. This is my opinion and I'm sure it is subjective, but here goes. Gayle has a very casual air about her. That in itself is not bad, but it's not a good feature to have if you are trying to be a lead news announcer for a major network. I think she would do okay say perhaps at a local level, although, the Raleigh/Durham, NC area has some great women news anchors who are much better than Gayle. She just doesn't give off the impression that she is a polished, on air jounalist. She is nice and intelligent, but not what a major network needs for news IMO. IMO she looks like someone who is in way over her head, but Oprah encouraged her to follow her dream.

I watched Gayle's radio show a few times and did not enjoy it at all. It was not for me. Although, I hear and read on these boards that she has fans who love her. I just don't get it. I could do news as good as she does and probably the average person could too.

THe only time I enjoyed Gayle was when she was on the Friday panel show that Oprah did for a short time. She was pretty good there. I also enjoyed her traveling with Oprah cross country. That was funny.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

So, basically, you are saying that she makes a good sidekick (ala Ed McMahon), but doesn't seem to have the 'muscle' to carry a show. Maybe that's why I have not felt a need to tune into the CBS morning show. I stopped watching her show on Oprah way before it was canceled, too. She could come off as too goofy for me....seeming to think it was 'cute'.
    Debb70 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I enjoyed the Lady Gaga interview because I've been wanting to see her interviewed in-depth for a couple of years. She's not big on giving interviews.

I am a fan and I think she is truly a multi-disciplined performance artist. Seeing her as just a "normal" person chatting with her mom and Oprah was a treat for me.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread