+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

FORT Fogey

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4136539;
    Her self love (good), dreams (good), pride (good) can be overwhelming at times. She would be wise to tone that down, just a tetch.
    I found her recent interview with JK Rowling, in which they both sat there exulting about how great it is to be billionaires, quite distasteful, insensitive, and obnoxious.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4136625;
    I found her recent interview with JK Rowling, in which they both sat there exulting about how great it is to be billionaires, quite distasteful, insensitive, and obnoxious.
    I thought that was very real. They are billionaires and that is great!

God bless her for getting where she is at, but sometimes she seems to have lost a bit on the way. I remember a show where she was in shock about shopping for stuff at Walmart. I mean come on.... she hardly has been shopping high end her whole life!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4136697;
    I thought that was very real. They are billionaires and that is great!
    I didn't say it's not great they they're billionaires. I'm sure the actual interview went on for much longer than one hour, and that only certain parts of it were selected to be aired. They can chitchat as much as they want about all the stuff they can buy and how great that is, but I have to wonder why that particular part was selected to be aired. I actually didn't hear Ms. Rowling say one word about using any of her billions to make a difference for others in this world, only about what she could buy for herself. Maybe I missed that part.

It didn't bother me because they are two people who once had nothing who became billionaires by what they have accomplished. I would imagine that when you have the money and status as them, you are treated like royalty and in time, may just come to expect that kind of treatment. It must go to their heads somewhat. How many of us mere mortals can rise above that?

I see the good and the not-so-good about Oprah. I do feel she has done a lot to help others and I really think her heart is in the right place but she probably does have some attitude about who she is.

Nothing wrong with her and other billionaires getting together, astonished at what all they have but probably not the best thing to do is to televise it. There will always be people who are jealous, who think "why her, and not me?" Hard work is a good part of their sucess but luck plays a part also.

FORT Fogey

I still found it insensitive and obnoxious to sit around talking about how great it is to be able to buy expensive clothes, go on expensive vacations, stay in expensive hotel suites when your kids are bothering you, buy whatever you want without having to choose either one thing or another because you can't afford both ... with Oprah cheering her on in the Amen corner ... at a time when people are losing their homes left and right, can't find jobs, can't pay for healthcare, etc. It was bad taste to air all that as a substantial part of a 40-minute interview that could have covered about a zillion other topics that would have been more inspiring and interesting to viewers. That part, other than pointing out that Rowling is the only billionaire writer ever and something about her early struggles, should have been left on the cutting-room floor.

The OWN network has been slotted on the old Discovery Health Network in my area too. The network is in conjuction with the Discovery network, so they have a partnership of sorts, which is why they took that channel for her new network. I'm sure the shows from that old channel will show up elswhere.

I liked "Enough Already", the show about helping hoarders. It's more positiive and uplifting than Hoarders.

I also loved the behind-the-scenes show on Oprah's 25th year, showing how the shows are put together, etc. I find it facinating how hard everyone works to get the show to air. No wonder she's had enough of that grind after 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4137610;
    The OWN network has been slotted on the old Discovery Health Network in my area too. The network is in conjuction with the Discovery network, so they have a partnership of sorts, which is why they took that channel for her new network. I'm sure the shows from that old channel will show up elswhere.

I liked "Enough Already", the show about helping hoarders. It's more positiive and uplifting than Hoarders.

I also loved the behind-the-scenes show on Oprah's 25th year, showing how the shows are put together, etc. I find it facinating how hard everyone works to get the show to air. No wonder she's had enough of that grind after 25 years.
    I didn't watch anything yet, but "Enough Already" does sound interesting.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4137610;

I do like Oprah, however, I don't think she has worked any harder than many other women for the last 25 years or even longer. I think that single parents trying to raise children on a limited income and run a household also have a huge job with lots of stress.

A while back she was on this kick about how positive thoughts and energy would make you successful and how you could bring success to your life. She featured books on the topic. I forget their names. Perhaps that is true to a certain extent, however, bad things happen to good and positive people. Very good and positive people can work hard and struggle their entire lives and not get the financial success that Oprah has. I don't buy that it was because they didn't follow their dream or want it enough. I think there are other people who are just as talented and driven as Oprah, but just were not at the right place at the right time.

FORT Fogey

I agree, Debb. I love how Oprah has helped so many people and causes with her money and celebrity, but not so much how she acts like if everyone were only as enlightened as she is about how to achieve success just by knowing how to have the proper kinds of positive thoughts, they would be much better off. Her ego is too often at full blast. Besides the hard work, determination and vision that a lot of people have, there's a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time and having the kind of support she's had in her career. Well, there are other forms of success besides financial, so I guess us lesser beings will just have to be satisfied with that.

+ Reply to Thread