+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

I have loved Rosie for a long time, even through her rough patches. I was looking forward to this new show, but have been quite underwhelmed. I'm not sure why the excellent producers they have are not seeing the problem. There are a few IMO, such as:

The set and audience appearance is off. There is something that looks awkward about that stage, the seating, the chairs, the lighting, etc. All of that needs to be replaced. It looks like something from 1972 and not in a good way.

The sound is off. Rosie and the guest sound like they are using Mickey Mouse toy mics. The sound doesn't even sound like stereo. What's up with that?

THe format is too boring. I'm not sure why they think the game thing is funny, but I find it boring. I don't like Ellen's games either.

Rosie does look uncomfortable. Perhaps it's because of the the problems I have stated above.

I hope somebody tells them, because I suspect the show will not do well unless they make some adjustment. I see upthread that some like it, but most of what I have read says they are not impressed. Sorry Rosie.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I just realized after watching the last episode of Rosie this week, that for every show, I smiled continuously from the beginning of the show all the way through to the end. There aren't too many shows that you can say that about --- an hour of pure delight! I think Rosie's shows will keep getting better and better, as she gets more into the groove, and all I can say for now is Rosie, I love ya, and I'm so glad you're back on the air --- and especially in this format. Love the humor, love the guests, love your interaction with the audience (and especially your edgy humor with them), love the unexpected singing/dancing/goofiness, and even though I didn't think I'd be into the game show segments, they're a lot of fun too. Can't wait to see what you've got planned for next week!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have loved Rosie for a long time, even through her rough patches. I was looking forward to this new show, but have been quite underwhelmed. I'm not sure why the excellent producers they have are not seeing the problem. There are a few IMO, such as:

The set and audience appearance is off. There is something that looks awkward about that stage, the seating, the chairs, the lighting, etc. All of that needs to be replaced. It looks like something from 1972 and not in a good way.

The sound is off. Rosie and the guest sound like they are using Mickey Mouse toy mics. The sound doesn't even sound like stereo. What's up with that?

THe format is too boring. I'm not sure why they think the game thing is funny, but I find it boring. I don't like Ellen's games either.

Rosie does look uncomfortable. Perhaps it's because of the the problems I have stated above.

I hope somebody tells them, because I suspect the show will not do well unless they make some adjustment. I see upthread that some like it, but most of what I have read says they are not impressed. Sorry Rosie.
    I totally agree. The set is off somehow. She did well the first time; sitting behind a desk may be a better choice for her. It is casual and more congenial. Sitting in chairs works for Ellen so I am not sure why this stands out to me. The format mimics all other talk shows but Rosie is different and we are losing some of her charm.

Using Ellen as a point of reference, the audience seems to be more connected to her or part of the picture. Rosie's austere background works for Oprah and Dr Phil but not here. Make it cozy and warm, you want to feel like you have walked into her home and fallen into her warmth. All segments on a bare stage are not working.

She used to talk about crafts and show what she had made, tell stories about her kids and was very relatable. In trying to recreate herself she may be losing what drew us to her in the first place.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-16-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I like shows that make me/encourage me to think. This Rosie is not doing that for me.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Debb. Well I guess we are not alone in thinking her show is off. The day after I mentioned she needed a desk format she read a viewer email saying the same thing and sang a song about how she didnt want a desk! Well that is that.

I will keep this on my DVR and use FF a lot. It may morph into something better as it progresses.

FORT Fogey

I read somewhere that OWN is not doing well and is relying on Rosie's show to help save it. I haven't watched her show yet. I keep forgetting it's on.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I read somewhere that OWN is not doing well and is relying on Rosie's show to help save it. I haven't watched her show yet. I keep forgetting it's on.
    I have read that too. It takes awhile to get a network rolling and I assume it was part of the consideration that it would take awhile to get a full roster in place. I think her network will do just fine in time if she offers a wide range of topics. If she continues to do the life lessons type of programming, it is doomed. There is just so much of that one can swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

I agree. Something just seems off. I keep tuning in hoping it will get better. But thus far it has not. The interviews with guests seem forced. Everything just seems uncomfortable.

FORT Fogey

Another problem with Rosie. She talks about the show the day before and shows clips. Why show something the viewers just saw the day before? I am sure the thought process behind it is for newcomers to see what they missed but not a good idea.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I LOVE that Rosie is devoting a little bit of time to the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations. She's right in that the media is not covering it -- and this is a HUGE issue in is country right now. People are very upset about the fact that 99% of the wealth and power in the US are now under the control of a very, very small percentage of the people. Some say as small as 1%. Whatever the exact number, it is WONDERFUL that the public is finally getting involved and speaking up --- and we're not hearing enough about it in the news.

+ Reply to Thread