+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

FORT Fogey

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I have great hopes for the OWN network that (in my opinion) Oprah just launched too soon --- before she was really ready and before she could devote the necessary time to it. BUT programming is improving at OWN.
    I think that her launching/take over of DHC had to go slowly and this is not too soon. As her season finishes she is introducing more shows that will air on OWN. She needed the overlap to create interest in future progaming. Also she has a huge staff that is devoting themselves to OWN. This endevor has many experts behind it and I trust this is the best way to go.

I am looking forward to Rosie too!

I actually watched Shania Twain's first episode of Why Not on OWN. I was quite curious as a result of seeing her on Oprah's regular show and finding something just not right. I thought that watching the show may help me put my finger on it. Well, it hasn't yet. I'm getting a better idea of who she is, but it's going to take more time watching her show to get to it, IMO.

One good thing about the show is that she is surrounded by family and friends from her childhood and all of them are musical. She is smart enough to surround her with people she can trust and who have supported her when she was poor as dirt. They really care about her and it shows. They are not Hollywood types, but down to earth people. I like that.

I like her sister. Her sister is with her almost constantly. She seems to be the older sister, not the other way around. Her sister shares much of the pain that Shania does.

My first observation is that Shania really suffered as a child witnessing the violence by her stepdad. There was also quite a bit of hunger and suffering during those times. Shania actually sang in bars when she was just a child. Her mother insisted that she did that. It seems like while they blame their dad for a lot, their mother really didn't protect them. I don't think they see it that way. Of course, maybe their mom knew the only way out of poverty was her musical talent. They showed video tape of Shania singing when she was just a child and teen. OMG! She was obviously gifted. Anyone could see that.

Shania doesn't want the viewers to see her crying. She acted like there was something wrong with it, but later, tells some kids she meets who lost their parents, that it's okay to cry, but she doesn't like to. It was all confusing. I really think she needs a therapist. Really.

We'll see if her music therapy works. I like to watch and see her sing so much. I still hope her personality will match up. It's a tall order.

FORT Fogey

I am intersted to see her behind the scenes show involving Barbara Walters stepping on the toes of her staff by insisting some old footage be shown. Barbara is self absorbed and I would love to see her taken down a notch but that won't happen. Oprah is easy going and not interested in being right, a quality I admire in her.

FORT Fogey

I was impressed with the way they showed Barbara's demands. They did not show anyone on Oprah's staff criticizing Barbara, but did show how difficult it was on them to deal with the last minute changes. Not only did Barbara send them off to edit the clip, but also changed around some of the things they were going to discuss. I thought the show gave somewhat of a wink to the audience saying "see how irritating this is" without insulting Barbara outright.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I was impressed with the way they showed Barbara's demands. They did not show anyone on Oprah's staff criticizing Barbara, but did show how difficult it was on them to deal with the last minute changes. Not only did Barbara send them off to edit the clip, but also changed around some of the things they were going to discuss. I thought the show gave somewhat of a wink to the audience saying "see how irritating this is" without insulting Barbara outright.
    Oh oh. Did I miss this show!? I will check my DVR.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Yes, I agree. They showed Barbara controlling and allowed her behavior to read. No one reacted to it. Good job.

I'm looking forward to the Sarah Fergerson reality show. Did I see what I thought I saw? It looked like Dr. Phil telling Sarah that he thought she looked like an addict. ???

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Sarah Fergerson reality show. Did I see what I thought I saw? It looked like Dr. Phil telling Sarah that he thought she looked like an addict. ???
    Yes. I think it is about her being addicted to being liked. I am looking forward to this too. She has some problems with Phil and I am looking forward to seeing that. I like him but he can be opressive and not always on the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Yes. I think it is about her being addicted to being liked. I am looking forward to this too. She has some problems with Phil and I am looking forward to seeing that. I like him but he can be opressive and not always on the mark.
    Oh, I see. I do recall when that video was released of her offering to sell access to Prince Edward, some said she appeared to be drunk or high on something. It makes me wonder.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh, I see. I do recall when that video was released of her offering to sell access to Prince Edward, some said she appeared to be drunk or high on something. It makes me wonder.
    I had forgotten about that. There is nothing on the OWN website about when this will air.

+ Reply to Thread