+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4135032;
    I don't usually watch Oprah's show, but saw it flipping around yesterday. I found it chuckle-worthy that she's got a big "OWN" sign up in her studio. Subtle, Opes.

And when I saw Tron Legacy IMAX, in the preview period, I had to see Oprah, several stories tall, giving some hilarious (and I'm sorry, I have to say egotistical sounding) monologue about her "Dreams", and how they were manifesting on the new Oprah network.
    You know what? From where she came from -- as a little mistreated black girl in a very poor, broken family in the segregated civil-rights-torn South --- to where she is now, one of the richest, most powerful people in the world, who DOES happen to have a dream and has exceeded (by a mile) all of her hopes and expectations (and one who has done a TREMENDOUS amount of good in this world) --- I say put her up on the IMAX screen to proudly talk about her dreams. Maybe some other people will get inspiration from her dreams and follow their OWN dreams!!! And if she sounds egotistical, I think she's earned it!

I am just ticked off that some of the shows I like on that channel will be gone :-(
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Oprah Winfrey has had an enormous, mostly positive, global societal impact. I have a lot of rspect for her, and I'm more than willing to give her new network a chance. I'll watch, and look for great things. I imagine that Discovery Health will find other niches for it's programming across its wide, multi-channel network.

She is, by all estimation, one of the influential women in the world. I'm glad she's an American.

Oprah Winfrey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oprah Winfrey (born Orpah Gail Winfrey; January 29, 1954) is an American television host, actress, producer, and philanthropist, best known for her self-titled, multi-award winning talk show, which has become the highest-rated program of its kind in history.[1] She has been ranked the richest African American of the 20th century,[2] the greatest black philanthropist in American history,[3][4] and was once the world's only black billionaire.[5][6] She is also, according to some assessments, the most influential woman in the world.[7][8]

Winfrey was born into poverty in rural Mississippi to a teenage single mother and later raised in an inner-city Milwaukee neighborhood. She experienced considerable hardship during her childhood, including being raped at the age of nine and becoming pregnant at 14; her son died in infancy.[9] Sent to live with the man she calls her father, a barber in Tennessee, Winfrey landed a job in radio while still in high school and began co-anchoring the local evening news at the age of 19. Her emotional ad-lib delivery eventually got her transferred to the daytime talk show arena, and after boosting a third-rated local Chicago talk show to first place[5] she launched her own production company and became internationally syndicated.

Credited with creating a more intimate confessional form of media communication,[10] she is thought to have popularized and revolutionized[10][11] the tabloid talk show genre pioneered by Phil Donahue,[10] which a Yale study claims broke 20th century taboos and allowed LGBT people to enter the mainstream.[12][13] By the mid 1990s, she had reinvented her show with a focus on literature, self-improvement, and spirituality. Though criticized for unleashing confession culture and promoting controversial self-help aids,[14] she is often praised for overcoming adversity to become a benefactor to others.[15]

From 2006 to 2008, her support of Barack Obama, by one estimate, delivered over a million votes in the close 2008 Democratic primary race
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4135939;
    I am just ticked off that some of the shows I like on that channel will be gone :-(
    I loved Discovery Health as well. I don't see why it had to get bumped

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4136047;
    I loved Discovery Health as well. I don't see why it had to get bumped
    Whatever happened (happens) to the Discovery Health network has nothing to do with the new OWN network. There are thousands of channels, and there is plenty of room in the vast channel spectrum to add new channels, and new channels/networks are added almost every month. Whatever happened to Discovery Health was going to happen anyway --- and a new network (in this case it just happened to be OWN, but it could've been any network) was brought into it's place.

Maybe DH network was just moved to another channel.
    I'm looking forward to the OWN lineup.
    I can see Bravo and OWN as my two most watched channels this year, provided programming stays interesting.
    Team Channy and Shawny.

FORT Fanatic

When TV went digital about 18 months ago, I lost several channels - the TV guide channel, CSpan 2 (I think it's called - it had a great weekend program about books), and two PBS channels. In return, I got some networks I have no interest in at all.

A lot of Discovery Health channel shows eventually show up on TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4136502;
    When TV went digital about 18 months ago, I lost several channels - the TV guide channel, CSpan 2 (I think it's called - it had a great weekend program about books), and two PBS channels. In return, I got some networks I have no interest in at all.

A lot of Discovery Health channel shows eventually show up on TLC.
    I have already seen a couple on TLC, but I miss having all of them in one spot! I have no problem with OWN, but that's not to say I won't miss my channel. I love Mystery Diagnosis!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4135032;
    I don't usually watch Oprah's show, but saw it flipping around yesterday. I found it chuckle-worthy that she's got a big "OWN" sign up in her studio. Subtle, Opes.

And when I saw Tron Legacy IMAX, in the preview period, I had to see Oprah, several stories tall, giving some hilarious (and I'm sorry, I have to say egotistical sounding) monologue about her "Dreams", and how they were manifesting on the new Oprah network.
    Her self love (good), dreams (good), pride (good) can be overwhelming at times. She would be wise to tone that down, just a tetch.

I liked Miracle Detectives and Searching For, so far. Both those shows moved quickly. Often cable shows drag out the one story they feature with repetition and filler. I watched a very small percentage of her shows and I bet I will like a larger percentage of her programing.
    Last edited by shoepie; 01-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.

I don't think I will watch too many of the shows on OWN. They are not to my taste. Although I did what 'In Search...' and I liked that one.

+ Reply to Thread